The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My 66 442

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM

My 66 442

My name is Rob Van Vleet from Machesney Park Illinois. I am 45 year old and have been into cars my entire life. I am the second owner of my 1966 442 ( father-in-law was the first). I have had my 442 for 25 years and it has always been my project car. It has always been my fair weather driver and 3 years ago I started to drag race it a couple times a year. My latest project for the 442 came about on an August night this year at Union Grove Dragstrip. Time to rebuild the engine again! Even though things didn't go as planned, I think I'm hooked on drag racing.
this is my first Oldsmobile forum and I am looking forward t omeeting like minded people.

Here are a couple pictures of my 442. it looks better in pictures than it actually is but thats what happens when you drive them.

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF6541.jpg

Once the machine work is complete my set up will be as follows.

400 (40 over)
10:5/1 compression
Lunati voodoo cam
Torker intake w/ 750 Holley DP
100HP Nitrous
Hooker headers w/ full 3" Flowmaster exhaust
M-21 close ratio 4 speed
3:91 w/ Eaton posi and Richmond gears

This is a low budget car that has taken years to get to the point it is now but it has been a great time.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
car guy

Welcome to the site. Nice looking 66. Looks like it set up for business. Are you using the original block to the car?
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Similar looking car to BigJerr's with the hood. Glad to have you here.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Welcome to the site. Nice looking 66. Looks like it set up for business. Are you using the original block to the car?
Thanks, I am using the original block. I have a 455 that I ran in it for years but finally decided to spend the money and get the original motor back in the car. I've had a lot of trouble getting the bottom end to hold up but I 'm hoping with the restrictors and larger oil pan and pick up I will be good to go this time.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to CO. Similar looking car to BigJerr's with the hood. Glad to have you here.
Yes it is, I've seen his car at Byron a few times and they do look quite similar. I just hope I can get mine to run like his one day.
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM

Sweet '66. I'm getting a cowl like that soon for my '67. I normally don't like that color but the '66 pulls it off real nice!! Hope to see more of it as you progress with it.
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM

Nice looking ride. Like those meats on the rear.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:58 AM

Make sure you have .003 to .0035 on the mains and .004 on the 5 main. A good .0025 on the rods, restrick the oil to the cam and restrick all the lifter bore oil holes to .045. HV melling pump and 7qt oil pan. Do NOT run it over 6000 rpm.
Should be good to go.

Gene
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:13 AM

Welcome to the site - nice 66 - kind of partial to them myself - going to add a hardtop to the stable at some point!!!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:02 AM

Welcome to CO

Great looking Olds. Bigjerr's almost twin just a different color. He's gonna say send me a picture for next year's calender. Lets see some under hood pictures
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM

Welcome to the site! Yes, that sounds like a fun car. Not only Big Jerr but Gene has that style hood on his 1964. So we now have three on the site! John
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM

Sweet looking 442

I'm in Roscoe Il, I see your car in the summer time and always take a second look when your crusing down north second st, Awesome ride. You should swing up to some of the cruise nights up in Roscoe this summer. maybe I'll see ya up there I own a 73 442.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Make sure you have .003 to .0035 on the mains and .004 on the 5 main. A good .0025 on the rods, restrick the oil to the cam and restrick all the lifter bore oil holes to .045. HV melling pump and 7qt oil pan. Do NOT run it over 6000 rpm.
Should be good to go.

Gene
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have tehrestrictors between thecrank and cam. I had my motor rebuilt by Rocket Racing two years ago but made a few mistakes. I used a high volume oil pump with a 5/8 pick up but used the stock pan. I also used a 455 balancer with hte 400 timing tab, that retarded my timing by 15 degrees. That set up with a carb that was too small didn't work out with the nitrous at the track. It's not cheap but I'm learning. my motor is back at Rocket now getting the crank reground and balanced a couple of new rods. Once thats done I will get it back together and ready for next year.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Great looking Olds. Bigjerr's almost twin just a different color. He's gonna say send me a picture for next year's calender. Lets see some under hood pictures
Thanks everytone for tehgreat comments.

Heres a couple under hood shots. I used the engine paint from Parts Place, it's not the exact color that I wanted but it doesn't look bad. Supercars unlimited has the proper color for the 400.

DSCF6638.jpg

DSCF6637.jpg

When I put the motor back in this time I'm setting up a seperate fuel system for the nitrous, that was another issue I had with my last set up.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by merocketman
I'm in Roscoe Il, I see your car in the summer time and always take a second look when your crusing down north second st, Awesome ride. You should swing up to some of the cruise nights up in Roscoe this summer. maybe I'll see ya up there I own a 73 442.
It's funny how you can go online and run into someone thats five miles away. I try to get to the weekly cruises as often as possible but sometimes its difficult to keep up. I made it to Sophias about three time last year but usually stayed for about half an hour. What does your 73 look like? I try to keep up with the local Oldsmobiles. I love the body style of the 73-77's I had a 74 for years when I was younger. I would love to get a 74 Hurst one of these years.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM

Love your 66.

Jim
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
doc

Great '66....where did you score the hood? I want a cowl for my more-door bad!

thanks!
D
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by doc
Great '66....where did you score the hood? I want a cowl for my more-door bad!

thanks!
D
Thanks for the compliment. I got the scoop from summit and installed it myself. It fit well with very little trimming, the body lines on the hood work out great for blending the scoop in.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM

Cool Cutlass. Welcome to the site.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM

Where did you find that hood?? Im looking for one similar just a few inches lower... I can find them for a 67 but not for a 66... Pm me if anyone knows thanks..
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:35 AM

66 is THE year!
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ben

Should be good to go.

Gene
Just curious (not trying to debate) how those specs compare to stock. These clearances are looser than stock, correct?

I'm learning as i go (which is expensive)... If a crank is ground under 10 or under 20... thats from the stock spec... so can you get different bearings that will give you slightly different tolerances or do you have to specify to the crank grinder exactly what you want the grind to be (beyond the stock spec?), or is that last little bit done by polishing?

i probably should just post this as its own question instead of hijacking, huh...
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Rob: Welcome to CO, great looking '66! Glad you found "THE" site!
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Just curious (not trying to debate) how those specs compare to stock. These clearances are looser than stock, correct?

I'm learning as i go (which is expensive)... If a crank is ground under 10 or under 20... thats from the stock spec... so can you get different bearings that will give you slightly different tolerances or do you have to specify to the crank grinder exactly what you want the grind to be (beyond the stock spec?), or is that last little bit done by polishing?

i probably should just post this as its own question instead of hijacking, huh...
I am learning as I go as well and it does get expensive, but hopefully this site will help with that. I have been through 5 motors for various reasons since I've had my car. You are correct on both points. If you grind your crank 10 or 20 under then you get 10 or 20 oversize bearings. The final clearance is determined by the amount left from grinding or polishing to get the desired tolerances.
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Andy
Where did you find that hood?? Im looking for one similar just a few inches lower... I can find them for a 67 but not for a 66... Pm me if anyone knows thanks..
I got the scoop from summit and installed it myself. It fit well with very little trimming, the body lines on the hood work out great for blending the scoop in. They also sell a cowl scoop with the same overall demensions that is only 2" tall.
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Very nice 66

Welcome aboard
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Rob: Welcome to CO, great looking '66! Glad you found "THE" site!
Thanks, I am hoping this is THE site. It's hard to find fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts to talk with. I get tired of people telling me to put a Ch*%y in it if you want to go fast or cheap. I've had a lot of fun with my 442 over the last 26 years but it also gets to be frustrating at times as well. i am looking to build a reliable cruiser that looks good and can run a respectible time at the track. Once I get a better feel for the site I will post more pictures and stories about my car and the goals I have for it in the near future.
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by ROBZ442
The final clearance is determined by the amount left from grinding or polishing to get the desired tolerances.
I understand how to check the tolerances... i was just curious if the wider tolerances are desired for rebuilding- Most shops that grind a crank are simply going to grind it to factory specs plus whatever they need to clean it (.010 under or .020 under).

If a WIDER than stock toerance is desired, does it have to be specified to the guy grinding the crank, or can that extra clearance be POLISHED later later after you've checked the initial tolerances, or are bearings available that will give you slightly more than stock -10 -20 bearings?

That is why i was asking how those numbers compared to the stock main & rod bearing tolerance specs. Because -10 or -20 is just off the stock size. If custom size is desired, i want to know when & to who that gets specified during the build.

My crank is still at the machine shop now... so thats why i want to know if i should be feeding him info other than the stock specs he's using.

I really need to repost in its on thread. Sorry again for the hijack

BTW... i really like your car too. Wheels and stance look awesome!

Last edited by RAMBOW; January 24th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I understand how to check the tolerances... i was just curious if the wider tolerances are desired for rebuilding- Most shops that grind a crank are simply going to grind it to factory specs plus whatever they need to clean it (.010 under or .020 under).

If a WIDER than stock toerance is desired, does it have to be specified to the guy grinding the crank, or can that extra clearance be POLISHED later later after you've checked the initial tolerances, or are bearings available that will give you slightly more than stock -10 -20 bearings?

That is why i was asking how those numbers compared to the stock main & rod bearing tolerance specs. Because -10 or -20 is just off the stock size. If custom size is desired, i want to know when & to who that gets specified during the build.

My crank is still at the machine shop now... so thats why i want to know if i should be feeding him info other than the stock specs he's using.

I really need to repost in its on thread. Sorry again for the hijack

BTW... i really like your car too. Wheels and stance look awesome!

No problem with the hijack. i am here to learn as well. I have my short block at Rocket Racing getting the crank ground and balanced. I had the short block done there last winter and it turned out great but I made a couple expensive mistakes and need to get the crank redone and a couple of rods replaced. It sucks but thats the way things go sometimes. Good luck with with your engine.
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM

73 442

Maybe I'll see ya at Sophia's, my car is black with gold racing stripes, V code 455, 4 speed. I've owned it since 1990 I'm the 4th owner. Stop by and say hi if your ever out and about I'm a die hard Olds nut too. My name Tom. Take care and Happy Oldsmobiling.

Last edited by merocketman; January 24th, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Rambow, That is how I do it. I align hone the mains to the middle spec. Insert all the main brgs, install the main caps, torque the bolts to spec. Use a dial bore guage and take a measurement. Machine the crank to the size you need for the clearence you want.
Stock spec's are good for a daily driver that see's very little RPM. if you are going to use and abuse it, you need more clearence. With the big journols and mains, the brgs speed is to much, you need a little more clearence to give the crank room to flex at high RPM. HV pump with at least a 7 qt pan. I redrill the spring hole in the oil pump and move it over .250. It gives a little more pressure, you mainly need voluume.
Thats pretty much how I do it. My engine has been in there for 8 years, and I race a lot.
Check "Amazon" for Bill at "BTR racing for his book. Makes for great reading.
Check out, Bill @ Olds performance, -- John @ Rocket racing, Smitty @ M & J proformance, -- Andy @ Olds performance products

Gene
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM

Car looks great Rob. I've got nothing but love for the 66's....but I may be a little biased!!!
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:11 AM

Just got my new Hot Rod , what went wrong with your motor?? I was not explained very well that I could understand? Thanks Milan
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Milan..
Just got my new Hot Rod , what went wrong with your motor?? I was not explained very well that I could understand? Thanks Milan
It wasn't explained very well because it was being tore down as the article was being sent off to print. This has been a long time coming and has been frustrating at points. During the dyno pulls it was lifting a head and we lost some oil pressure. We found a few issues with the heads and tore the block down. The main bearings looked like they started to smear. When we remeasured the clearances the caps were starting to open up. We made some corrections are trying to get to the dyno next week. As mentioned in the article I had plenty of street miles on the motor but it had never seen the load that was put on it by the dyno.

So far I am signed up for Power Tour and will be tagging along with my car on Drag Week so I hope to have this sorted out and back in my car soon.
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM

I may have a few suggestions if you would PM me...Thanks Milan
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:17 AM

looks like the caps could use straps or a halo girdle. May help keep the mains stay put.
I've had straps on my 455 for about 12 years and it still has great oil pressure.
Runs a strong has it ever has. Did a cam change recently and improved a tenth.

I just saw the article and hope they can figure it out.
any updates ?

Gene
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ROBZ442
So far I am signed up for Power Tour and will be tagging along with my car on Drag Week so I hope to have this sorted out and back in my car soon.
I hope to have my car back on the road for the PT as well, maybe we can run together.
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:24 PM

looks like the caps could use straps or a halo girdle. May help keep the mains stay put.
I've had straps on my 455 for about 12 years and it still has great oil pressure.
Runs a strong has it ever has. Did a cam change recently and improved a tenth.

I just saw the article and hope they can figure it out.
any updates ?

Gene
We redid the lower end and installed a halo, hopefully with the same result you had. Waiting for the dyno to open up, hopefully by the end of the week.
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
I hope to have my car back on the road for the PT as well, maybe we can run together.
Nick

That would be cool. I am planning on running from Madison to St. Louis. Signed up and rooms booked. We will have to keep in touch as the time gets closer.

Rob
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:24 PM

What hotels? I plan on doing Madison, Champaign, St Louis, Memphis, and then home with a night in Nashville.