The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

my 1983 4-door cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2015, 01:02 PM

my 1983 4-door cutlass supreme

Hello, my names Joe and I'm new to the site. I purchased an 83 cutlass supreme 307 v8 4 door for $500 and fell in love with it right away. It was in rough shape when I got it but I want to be a mechanic so I started right away on maitenancing everything but I got this idea to drop a Chevy motor and manual trans in it but I don't know what engines and trans to drop in to it, any ideas and considerations are totally welcomed. I'll even take recommendations on what rear ends and such I should use.
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Hi Joe, I'm also a new member to this forum. I have a 1982 Cutlass Supreme 2 door (see my post in the newbie forums). I'm assuming the 4 doors have the same chassis as the 2 door cars, however, I could be incorrect since I have limited experience with the 4 doors. I know the others on here will know more than I, so maybe I'll learn about the 4 doors too.

Regarding motors, one of the most popular ones people put in the G-body cars are SBC 350s. However other options include the SBC 400, BBC 454, Olds 350, 403 and 455. The motor mounts will need to be changed. Also depending on motor and exhaust headers there may be interference with the headers and frame rail. I'm sure others can share additional details.

I don't have any experience with manual transmissions in these cars. I believe they were only in the '78-'80 cars, however there may be aftermarket options now. Hopefully someone educates us on that.

For rear-ends, most of the G-body cars came with the GM 7.5" except for the Olds 442s & H/Os and Buick GNs/T-types which came with the GM 8.5" rear end. . The Monte SS came with a 7 5/8 ring gear. Most people with a 7.5" opt for a GM 10 or 12 bolt. There are companies that make after market housings which bolt directly into these cars. You can even get a G-body housing which will accept a Ford 9". Depending on what you're planning to do with the car it's possible to build the 7.5" to work with your set up. It's not desired but if you are just driving around town and not at the track it may be an option. I recall an article in one of the car magazines which goes through the details. I think I have a copy that I could send you.

Hope this helps.

If I'm incorrect with any of this, someone please politely correct me.

Good luck with your build!

-- Mark
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new project. In addition to the this site, I'd do a search of "G" body forums.