The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My 1967 Delmont 88 Project

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM

My 1967 Delmont 88 Project

Well, I got started on this project ahead of schedule. Here are a few pics on where I am at currently. I will try to keep pics up as frequent as possible, but I am forgetful on taking the camera along now and then. These are some pics of around window area that I needed to repair and with interior pulled out. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0003.jpg (61.6 KB, 49 views)
DSCF0008.jpg (59.8 KB, 31 views)
DSCF0009.jpg (55.7 KB, 24 views)
DSCF0002.jpg (65.0 KB, 23 views)
DSCF0022.jpg (78.5 KB, 37 views)
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:13 PM

67 Delmont 88 Project

A few more pics, Thanks for looking
Attached Images
1967 Delmont 88.jpg (107.4 KB, 30 views)
1967Delmont 88 1.jpg (102.9 KB, 25 views)
DSCF0006 (2).jpg (55.1 KB, 28 views)
DSCF0007 (2).jpg (49.0 KB, 22 views)
DSCF0024.jpg (51.6 KB, 31 views)
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

I love the big 2drs. Hows the rear window area look?
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Registered Luser

Stump, I hope you're keeping that color combo! If you were to change it, black would look fine!. I had a '68 Ford XLGT Fastback....big and sleek like your car! Love it!
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM

Ah, brings back memories, my younger brother had Blue one during High School. Car fit 6 adults very comfortably, room for several more in the trunk. With the 425 and posi out back, it was absolutely, hands down, the Best car for doing donuts and smokey smokey burnouts that I have ever owned or driven. Gotta love torque and big ol' bias ply tires.
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I love the big 2drs. Hows the rear window area look?
The rear window looks ok now. I had alot of repair work with replacing some metal, grinding and LOTS of JB Weld. Thats stuff works great. I think I have a picture someplace that shows how bad the window areas were. I will see if I can find one and post a before and after.
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Stump, I hope you're keeping that color combo! If you were to change it, black would look fine!. I had a '68 Ford XLGT Fastback....big and sleek like your car! Love it!
Thank you very much, I love the car as well and can hardly wait till its done. There just don't seem to be many 2 dr HT around this part of the country.

As for the color, I am going to go with a Candy Apple Red with a hint of Pearl and a White Vinyl Top. The inside is going to be the same pattern that is already in the seats, but changing that to a RED & WHITE Stripe with a Bigger BLACK center Stripe and have BLACK Pipping around the edges. I told the guy doing the interior to do his thing and make it nice. He did my 4 dr HT and did a great job on it.
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Ah, brings back memories, my younger brother had Blue one during High School. Car fit 6 adults very comfortably, room for several more in the trunk. With the 425 and posi out back, it was absolutely, hands down, the Best car for doing donuts and smokey smokey burnouts that I have ever owned or driven. Gotta love torque and big ol' bias ply tires.
As for the 6 Adults, YES you can... And the trunk no telling how many you could fit back there. Unfortunatly, this one has the 330 CI in it. I would have much rather had the 425, but it don't. I thought about dropping a 425 in it but the little 330 is a strong engine so I think I will spend my money on the body rather then change out a good engine.

I agree, that the cars are one of the best riding older cars on the road. I think they ride like a cady for the most part, if you have good shocks, springs and tires, you can't get any better. As for the donuts? I never did that with any of my cars, as I never wanted to break them. But at 18-20 yrs old I can see that happening... lol I am sure it was fun. Thanks for looking guys.
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
The rear window looks ok now. I had alot of repair work with replacing some metal, grinding and LOTS of JB Weld. Thats stuff works great. I think I have a picture someplace that shows how bad the window areas were. I will see if I can find one and post a before and after.
Here are a few pics of the back window area before I patched it. And some after of the back and front. Sorry I did not take very good pictures to reflect how bad the window frame really was, but you can get the idea from the pics. Lots of grinding, new metal and JB Weld.

Also, when I cut all the silicone from around the windows, the back window almost could have been taken out by hand with no special tools it was that loose.
Attached Images
DSCF0008.jpg (59.8 KB, 17 views)
DSCF0009.jpg (55.7 KB, 14 views)
DSCF0017.jpg (44.8 KB, 24 views)
DSCF0018.jpg (41.3 KB, 19 views)
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:04 AM

Here's one of the fender and hood in primer. And another one of the back window repair. After all the other work I did to fill in fix and patch, I layed out some fiberglass cloth and and sealed everything in with glass. Hope it all holds up. My first hand at one this extensive.
Attached Images
Fender & Hood in Primer.jpg (89.0 KB, 18 views)
DSCF0016.jpg (27.2 KB, 17 views)
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
GM Enthusiast

Looks good so far stumpy. I'm sure the repair will hold up well. I did a rear window repair like that for a friend several years ago. Told me to just pull the window and repair with bondo. I used a rust inhibiting agent, and fiberglass reinforced filler. That was 10 years ago and the rust never came back. I prefer cutting out rust and welding new metal, but I can't complain with results like that.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Looks good so far stumpy. I'm sure the repair will hold up well. I did a rear window repair like that for a friend several years ago. Told me to just pull the window and repair with bondo. I used a rust inhibiting agent, and fiberglass reinforced filler. That was 10 years ago and the rust never came back. I prefer cutting out rust and welding new metal, but I can't complain with results like that.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Update on Delmont 88 Project

Well, here are a few more pictures of the progress. Alot has happened in the last week but it don't look like alot. The R.R. Qtr is repaired and hand sanding and forming around the eyebrow is in process. Never could find back Qtr panels to replace so this is how she's gonna get fixed. One shot of the front end stripped down and thought I'd show a picture of the new face lift on that. The last pcture is of the L.R. Qtr Panel and what that looks like now. Will take a few more pics as repair work progresse's. I painted all grill parts and used lots of elbow grease to shine all the chrome parts and pcs. If anyone knows where I can buy a set of REAR WHEEL WELL CHROME for a 1967 Delmont 88 2dr Hardtop I'm looking. I'm guessing 4 dr Wheel well chrome would work too? What I have will work, but it has been dented up over the years and I would like to replace it if possible. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, I'm taking them with my phone.
Thanks for looking.
Bill
Attached Images
R.R. Qtr Panel.jpg (99.3 KB, 22 views)
L.R. Qtr Panel Now.jpg (101.8 KB, 22 views)
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Looking good!
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Mak

Very nice!
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks guys, as you know when your deep into a project like these old girls or any other project, it's nice to hear words of encouragement. I really like them Converts they are sexy...
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Bill, I think I may have some spare rear wheel opening moldings. I'll take a look this weekend if I get a chance. Remind me if you don't hear from me soon. Keep up the good work.
Glenn
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks Glenn, a nice set of wheel well chrome would really look nice on the old girl. Ill touch base with you this next week. Thanks again...
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:29 AM

Just for the heck of it, I thought I would show some of the chrome and grill parts repainted. I also just got a grill rocket off Ebay then painted it. Not sure or positive of the colors but with the black grill and maroon background and red flame, I think it will accent each other ok. Oh I know someone is going to tell me I should not have painted the grill, but it actually looks better black then the chrome did. It was pretty bad, so not knowing where to have anything re-chromed anymore and without shipping half way around the world I said, black should look ok? I guess after I reinstall it on the car after paint will tell the tail. Thanks for looking...
Again, sorry for the nasty pics, my phone really don't take good pics, but it's fast and handy... lol
Attached Images
Grill Rocket.jpg (117.5 KB, 16 views)
Grill Rocket2.jpg (97.2 KB, 18 views)
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:08 AM

Looks great. I have one of those grille emblems on my Delta, but the paint is long gone. In fact, when I got the car, the emblem itself was missing, and I found one on ebay. I figure that a not-painted-red emblem is better than no emblem at all.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Looks great. I have one of those grille emblems on my Delta, but the paint is long gone. In fact, when I got the car, the emblem itself was missing, and I found one on ebay. I figure that a not-painted-red emblem is better than no emblem at all.
Jaunty, you are correct on that. My grill emblem was broke too, with the top of the rocket point missing. So when I seen this one on ebay I grabbed it. Got it home, cleaned it up and brushed some paint on it. Turned out ok. Still need to add a little more paint I think, but will pass as is in my mind... Thanks again for the comps.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Here are a few pics of the progress on the Delmont 88. Today the inner fenders got some paint of the color the cars gonna be. I can hardly wait to see this old girl put back together. Also, a few pics of the L.R. Qtr panel fixed in primer and one of what it looked like before the fix. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
Inner Fender Painted.jpg (79.9 KB, 20 views)
Inner Fender Painted#2.jpg (29.8 KB, 21 views)
L.R. Qtr Panel#1.jpg (64.6 KB, 19 views)
L.R. Qtr Panel#2.jpg (58.2 KB, 17 views)
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Smile

Well the body work is done and now another 2-3 coats of primer and wet sander down and by Wenesday this week it should be ready for paint. I would have had the left fender on today but the innner fender was still a little tacky yet, so I'll put the inner fender and the left fender on Monday. Once that's done put the hoods back on and the sanding begins. She's starting to look like a car again.
Attached Images
Right side body work done.jpg (88.0 KB, 25 views)
Old April 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Nice color! What is it?
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Its a Pearl Red. It has 3 different pearls in it. I dont remember the correct namebut its like"Candy Red Pearl". Its a Ford color that much remember. Thanks for looking.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM

Those turbine rims you had on her in the 1st set of pics... interested in selling them? if so are they 5X5 and 14 or 15 inch.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Wow, your moving right along! Can't wait to see the paint on her.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldsrocket88
Those turbine rims you had on her in the 1st set of pics... interested in selling them? if so are they 5X5 and 14 or 15 inch.
Sure I am interested in selling them. I don't have any use for them. I will check the size on the holes but I think they are 14's? not positive. Will get back with you in a day or so. Thanks
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

They look like 14" in the pics.

So I checked my garage at home today and came up with a pair of driver-quality front wheel opening moldings (straight, but need cleaning & polishing) and a single NOS left rear. I still have to check my storage garage where I keep most of the 67-68 big car stuff because there may be more there. Hang tight Bill.
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Got to the storage garage this morning and located 2 pretty dinged-up wheel opening moldings -RF & RR- and then a nice used LR. Sadly no really nice RR in my stash

Let me know which, if any, interest you Bill.

Found a bunch more side & front trim pieces too. I'll post all of them in the For Sale section when I have time.
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Hello Glenn, I would be interested in the LR wheel well pc for sure. I think that one is the worse of the 2 I have, as that was the hardest hit with cancer, I will double check tomarrow. But if you can shoot me some pics of the others that would be great, as they may be better then what I have now, but would take a look at them to see anyway. When you get time of course.

Thanks a bunch for looking.

BTW, I got the drivers door and back drivers side qtr panel wet sanded today, HOLY COW, that's a big peckin car and I'm not even close to being done sanding... My achin back... lol
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by Stumpy
BTW, I got the drivers door and back drivers side qtr panel wet sanded today, HOLY COW, that's a big peckin car and I'm not even close to being done sanding... My achin back... lol
You ain't tellin me anything new...
I wet sanded & buffed my whole car when I first got it. That was a project!

I'll PM you a pic of the moldings.
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by copper128
You ain't tellin me anything new...
I wet sanded & buffed my whole car when I first got it. That was a project!

I'll PM you a pic of the moldings.
Sent back a PM reply.. Thank You for your help

Bill
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Here are a few picture of the paint in progress. Since the car wasso pecken big it was painted in 2 sections. Rear, then the front. The pics here are showing the rear section with 3 coats of pait and had already been shot with clear. Then the front picture is showing the car just after the 2nd coat was shot and getting ready for a 3rd. Now, the next step "MORE WET SANDIN"... Thanks for looking. Bill
Attached Images
Front.jpg (83.0 KB, 22 views)
Driver side.jpg (85.7 KB, 23 views)
Rider side.jpg (76.5 KB, 12 views)
Another shot.jpg (86.2 KB, 17 views)
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Well, I just talked with Scott on the 67 Convert. in the junk yard as I "WAS" going to ask him to get the big chrome eyebrows off the front of the car and qtr extentions for me, and with very, very sad news he said they crushed it this morning. Scott said they don't let them set long and he was unable to get all the parts off the car he intended, but was able to get some. I think I'm gonna be sick now... o
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Car looks good with that paint!
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:41 PM

Very nice look!
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:44 AM

Thank you guys for the kind words. I hope it turns out as good as I think it should. With a new white vinyal top and nice fresh red paint job she should look pretty nice. This next week, I will be taking it to George the interior guy to have that done next. It's gonna follow the original design in the seats, but not positive how the lay out will be? Any suggestions from anyone that has an eye for color and design would be helpful.

I'm thinking single Red/White stripes up & down with a BIGGER Black center and Black piping around the outer edges of the seats. Back of the seats solid Red or black? Anyway, thank for lookng and with keep ya up to date as it moves along.

Bill
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Bill, what color are your cars "big 3" - dash, steering column, carpet?
The factory usually made the upholstery coordinate with those parts. Not necessarily matching, but complimentary and/or contrasting shades. My car has maroon big 3 and bright red vinyl upholstery.
Since they had pro interior designers, I'd try to follow their lead. Of course, it's your car after all...
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by copper128
Bill, what color are your cars "big 3" - dash, steering column, carpet?
The factory usually made the upholstery coordinate with those parts. Not necessarily matching, but complimentary and/or contrasting shades. My car has maroon big 3 and bright red vinyl upholstery.
Since they had pro interior designers, I'd try to follow their lead. Of course, it's your car after all...
Cooper, My dash is black with a little white in the very front, but that could be changed? The carpet is up in the air as yet. Im thinking Red/Maroon or Black. The seat coordination/break up is still in the air. I may just go Red with a Black senter stripe with whatever piping with go good with it. I may leave some judgement to the guy doing the work on my interior and trust his expertise... I need to make up my mind sooooooon cuz it's going to Stitch Alley next week Tuesday.

Bill

Quick Reply: My 1967 Delmont 88 Project