The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Me and my Custom Cruiser, Port St. Lucie, FL

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013 | 09:58 AM

Wink Me and my Custom Cruiser, Port St. Lucie, FL

Hi, this is my seventh Oldsmobile, I found it on Craigslist, and just couldn't resist! It's the 1990 Custom Cruiser 8 passenger in Light Beechwood with Medium Beechwood interior in cloth. Options are woodgrain exterior, six way power driver seat, windows, basic air conditioning, electric mirrors, and the cassette stereo system. It also has wire wheel covers which are missing the locks. As most of you know it is the last Oldsmobile V-8 and boxy style.
I've ordered the dealer showroom loose leaf book, and the Hayne's manual was left in the car. I've got all of the glove box literature as well, and the original window sticker. It was delivered to Colonial Olds in Montgomery, OH. The original woman owner either sold or turned it over to her husband, who years later gave it to their son. The odometer read 57,255 when I bought it, but was disclosed as being 157,255. It's been so well looked after by those folks, just minor body issues, like the rear bumper plastic and pushed in places on the front and rear bumpers. First order is to find the gas tank leak, next the headliner.

I understand someone else here just got a '90 Custom Cruiser as well. Mine is as close to a Ninety Eight as I'll ever get. My previous full sized Olds' were a '59 Dynamic 88 Holiday flattop, and a '65 Jetstar Celebrity Sedan. The smaller ones were a '62 Cutlass Coupe with buckets and factory air, '79 Cutlass Calais, and an '85 Toronado. After our mother passed away, I bought out my brother and sister's share of mama's '95 Cutlass Ciera sedan. It served me for nearly four years until a near fatal head on collision in it. One final Cutlass Ciera note was of the '82 car she had for a few years until she traded our dad's '82 Grand Prix and the '82 Cutlass on a new '87 Buick Century. I've run on enough about my Oldsmobiles, and look forward to being a member here. Thanks for reading!
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 10:35 AM

Awesome car! i had a '91 custom cruiser and loved it!
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 11:06 AM
Administrator

Welcome
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kid64
i had a '91 custom cruiser and loved it!
There are big differences between the '90 and the '91 Custom Cruisers. The 1990 models were the last of an era that began in 1977 with the boxy rear-end and squared-off front end style. The engine in the '90 was the overhead valve, carbureted Oldsmobile 307 V-8. It was the last of the Rocket engines. The engine in the '91 was the fuel-injected Chevy 305 V-8.

The '91s were the first of the last generation of Custom Cruiser, production of which ended with the 1992 models. The last generation models were much more rounded in body styling.

1990:

1991:

Old January 23rd, 2013 | 04:32 PM

I think it's a shame the Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser wagons didn't go past 1992, the rounded styling meshed well with the Olds trimming. I usually just see the Roadmasters and the occasional Chevrolet here. I'm partial to the box wagons, as you will find out.

I have been ripped off! Well, not literally, but I read the photocopy of my window sticker, I do not have the aluminum styled 15/7 $320.00 wheels on it! Well, I knew that when I bought the car, it does have the lockless wire wheel covers on the standard wheels. I did not know 'til today it had the aluminums. The car would have been $20,742.00 as described on the sticker. It has the options package 1SC on it which was $2,237.00 total, no individual prices. I do have cruise control after all, I thought it was a wiper control. What a swell car!
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 04:43 PM

Hey, you stole my car!

LOL, just kidding. This is actually my '87 Custom Cruiser I sold a couple years ago.

It was a little old lady car that she sold after it died in the middle of the road in 2008. The person I got it from had the same issues and sold it cheap on eBay(to me)

We drove to WV with a trunk load of spare parts, threw on another carb and drove it away, to the seller's shock. Guess you have to know your Oldsmobiles...

We DID find the actual gremlin near home...it ran out of gas with 1/4 tank showing. Turned out the steel pick-up tube in the tank had a hole rusted in it 4 inches off the bottom.

Mine had the third seat and the gauge packages..sure do miss it. Looks like you have a great car yourself!

002.jpg
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 05:01 PM

Tyler, you may have solved a problem I have with my gas tank! I put a shade over 9 gallons in the car on Monday, after going out later, I found a big circle of gasoline on the driveway. It continued to drip elsewhere, and finally quit. The car registers slightly under a half a tank right now, still smells of gas too. So, I'll be looking for a reputable garage here to help track down what is is if it isn't what happened to yours. Love the story about your car, too bad you sold it! My exterior color is actually LT Beechwood/Camel Beige. I can't figure out what would have been Camel Beige.

Well I have the third seat and the standard gage layout. I like the old fashioned look about the dash, compared to the 2000 Xterra SE I bought from my brother after the '06 car accident I lost my great little '95 Cutlass Ciera in.
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 05:06 PM

Welcome to CO, I think you are just down the street from me.
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 05:18 PM

501 Paratrooper, I am likely within a 100 mile radius of you. I'm in Port St. Lucie as I mentioned. I picked the car up in Vero Beach from the son of the original owners.
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 90customcruiser
Tyler, you may have solved a problem I have with my gas tank! I put a shade over 9 gallons in the car on Monday, after going out later, I found a big circle of gasoline on the driveway. It continued to drip elsewhere, and finally quit. The car registers slightly under a half a tank right now, still smells of gas too. So, I'll be looking for a reputable garage here to help track down what is is if it isn't what happened to yours. Love the story about your car, too bad you sold it! My exterior color is actually LT Beechwood/Camel Beige. I can't figure out what would have been Camel Beige.

Well I have the third seat and the standard gage layout. I like the old fashioned look about the dash, compared to the 2000 Xterra SE I bought from my brother after the '06 car accident I lost my great little '95 Cutlass Ciera in.

Well, mine never leaked externally, but I can tell you that the tank isn't that difficult to remove. It sounds like either the tank itself is leaking or the seal around the filler pipe is.

The lady that bought mine either bought or ordered it pretty much loaded. It had the stuff I mentioned, plus the trash receptacle, which is fairly rare and the load leveling rear suspension. I think it also had a cassette player.

Does your have the alert package with the neat chimes?
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 06:02 PM

Yes! I have those neat department store sounding chimes! I can't wait to get my loose leaf showroom book with all of the candy available on the Custom Cruisers, and the other intriguing models for 1990. I've got the cassette radio, but I think that part is toast. There is a speaker issue, I get the left front sound only, and the other three are staticy. Antenna won't come up, either frozen or disconnected.
Old January 23rd, 2013 | 06:08 PM

Al's Custom Cruiser pics

Here are some pictures of my toy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Alan 103.jpg (231.3 KB, 17 views)
Alan 104.jpg (212.3 KB, 17 views)
Alan 099.jpg (248.9 KB, 16 views)
Alan 105.jpg (232.1 KB, 17 views)
Old January 24th, 2013 | 05:27 PM

I'm in SLW.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 05:58 PM

I'm in Vero... Welcome to CO! Nice wagon!
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:10 PM

501Paratrooper, I'm assuming yoou mean St. Lucie West, and kitfoxdave, thanks and nice to know there's someone nearby! There is a '62 Cutlass coupe out west of me, and a silver grey '62 Starfire convertible somewhere in St. Lucie County. Either of you hear of Gweed's Gangsters? They host a car show every Tuesday night (or did) at the Treasure Coast Mall in Jensen Beach.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:22 PM

And I live in Fort Pierce. Didn't know we had this many Oldsmobiles in the area.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:29 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice wagon too, good to see one spared from the demolition derby.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:42 PM

Thanks, and I just thought of some other Oldses in the general vicinity. A customized '59 coupe, a stock red and white '59 Ninety Eight coupe with continental kit, maybe even a convertible '59 98, and a red and white '58 four door hardtop was around 15 or so years ago. There is a general collector car display in Fort Pierce on a Friday night, once a month. "Antique" designation in Florida is 25 years or older, isn't it?
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:56 PM

Welcome, to another Custom Cruiser. I enjoy the heck out of mine, looking forward to spring so I can get her back out. Right now it's about 20 degrees and snow in the forecast.
Great looking wagon!
Old January 24th, 2013 | 08:51 PM

Yes! I have those neat department store sounding chimes! I can't wait to get my loose leaf showroom book with all of the candy available on the Custom Cruisers, and the other intriguing models for 1990. I've got the cassette radio, but I think that part is toast. There is a speaker issue, I get the left front sound only, and the other three are staticy. Antenna won't come up, either frozen or disconnected.
A funny part of the drive-home story was that I would be driving along and I'd hear those chimes periodically, but I never saw a warning light so I had no idea what was going on.

When I got home and had time to investigate, I discovered that someone had "fixed" the Service Engine Soon" lamp by painting over the back of the telltales for that right-side warning group. So, not only did I not know the SES light was on I also discovered the Low Fuel and maybe the Gate Ajar light that was over there.

Those cassette players have a rubber belt in them that gets old and breaks...a good electronics shop can go through it and fix it right up. The antenna also has a flimsy part that breaks...in this case a plastic "belt" that renders it useless. Lots of times the belt in it will break and the antenna will keep running and running, running the battery down.

When that happens people unplug it...look for a green and black paired wire near the blower motor underhood.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 08:54 PM

Here are some pictures of my toy:
That's the exact interior mine had. Talking about that radio though...I see yours has the DIN-style. Mine still had the old 2-shaft style with the yellow digital numbers.
Old January 25th, 2013 | 02:39 AM

Thanks for the greetings and tips you all. My cassette player apparently had to have a tape dug out of it, from the looks of the door on it. Speakers or electronics are defective, I don't look forward to removing any of the 23 year old plastic fittings to check, but when I find out how, I'll have a look. I think I still have the antenna out of my '79 Fleetwood, it was relatively easy to remove. I'd have the wagon's taken out and checked, or just replaced with something that I wouldn't have to drill holes for. Fortunately I don't hear those chimes when I'm driving, I do have the split second sensation when I stop that the engine might as well. I drove out to our mall Tuesday night looking for the car show but it was not happening. I can feel that lack of power that the '90 owners speak of too. And as I mentioned earlier, mine is from Columbia (not Colonial) Oldsmobile of Montgomery, Ohio. It doesn't appear to have a great deal of winter damage either. I've also got a roll of GM woodgrain that was left in the back. Columbia is now a Hyundai dealer, nice looking building too.

Last edited by 90customcruiser; January 25th, 2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Wrong dealer name
Old January 25th, 2013 | 05:40 PM

Oh boy! Went to the St. Lucie County Library for the Friday movie, went to dinner at 5:00. Wanted to look at the car show on 2nd Street, out of all the swell cars they had, the highlights were a bright red '58 Cadillac convertible, and a bright red '59 Dynamic 88 convertible, with white that started on the tops of the front fenders, down to the seams on the sides, and the deck was white. The typical two toning job meaning the greater part was red, etc. Had the extended bumper with a custom painted Continental kit on it, with a picture of the car floating in the ocean. Interior was red and white vinyl, don't think it was the original pattern, but it was darn pretty! Had the '60s rocket emblem on the rear seat speaker grille. Never found the owner, bet the Fort Pierce member knows him though. Or is him........

I bought this goody today off ebay, the original advert plate off a shiny new Columbia Olds.
Attached Images
Old January 26th, 2013 | 11:53 AM

Nice car! I have a 88 cruiser I just love it, mine came from a funeral home.
Old January 26th, 2013 | 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by D.M.W.
mine came from a funeral home.
Hopefully with nothing in the back.