The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

mass cutlass checking in

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 04:27 AM
72 Olds CS

mass cutlass checking in

Hello All

I guess I should introduce myself since I already made a few posts

My dad who was not a car guy but liked convertables bought a 71 cutlass back in the mid 80s when I saw it in the local paper for sale. (back then) It was in good drive shape and all original. Well he drove it for 10 years or so and it was starting to need lotsa work so he offered it to me. I didnt have much money so I stored it in various locations for next 15 years fast forward to may 2011 when I decide "Its time" well I get it out for evaluation.

My objective is to have a driver i dont want a car on a trailer I dont want a car that cant be taken to the local store for fear of a ding or scratch so driver it is.

With that in mind my fathers oldsmobile (ha Ive been waiting to say that ) needs fenders, doors, quarters, trunk, roof, interior, and engine work...in short I have a decent hood and bumpers and more project (and $) than I want

OK maybe I can find someone elses project and score a bunch of the needed parts in one purchase ( I still dont have a ton of disposable income which also drives my driver only decision) so onto the local craigslist.......

OK I picked up a 72 (I think supreme I dont really know how to ID the models yet) driver. this car was someones project then someone else project and now its mine !!! This car came from texas and has solid fenders, doors, trunk, no / little interior and a tired 350 it does have a leaky windshield and rear window and as a result it came w new uninstalled floor pans (some rust in the floor not bad)

So for now the vert is in limbo, but Ive started doing some work to the 72 in order to be able to drive it around a bit ( I did drive it home 60 miles from the sellers house w no issues)

So thats my story from no OLDS to two OLDS in about 2 months !!!

heres a couple pics the vert w my old mustang in the 80s and the 72 last week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72 as received 3 sm.jpg (169.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by RetroRanger; July 28th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Past Administrator

Two good cars and the '72 was a nice find. Welcome to CO. By the way, I remember that body style of Mustang, I had a friend that had one like it. That back glass was almost horizontal, I think it was '71.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM

welcome aboard
nice looking cars there
what part of mass you from?
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
car guy

Welcome to the site.

How come I always see out of state cars say they are a rust free Texas car when I rarley see rust free cars here? Hmmmm
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Two good cars and the '72 was a nice find. Welcome to CO. By the way, I remember that body style of Mustang, I had a friend that had one like it. That back glass was almost horizontal, I think it was '71.
Yeah the fastback was like that, this one was a Grande or notchback it was a 71 too I liked that car sold it to buy a house (wheres that head knocking icon )

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass
welcome aboard
nice looking cars there
what part of mass you from?
north central mass ~30 minutes from worcester

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Welcome to the site.

How come I always see out of state cars say they are a rust free Texas car when I rarley see rust free cars here? Hmmmm
LOL thats cuz you havent seen a massachusetts car...seriously my dads car was not driven thru winters and was stored in a leaky garage and in a portable garage the floors front and rear are bad the passengers rocker is bad the fender NG the quarters NG drvrs side of the trunk NG, I didnt see any frame holes but comparison to the TX car was nite and day....if it had seen winters there would be no car !!!!