The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Looking for the oil pressure sensor switch. 1964 starfire

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2017, 09:21 AM

Looking for the oil pressure sensor switch. 1964 starfire

my 1964 starfire came with an electric fuel pump that is operated by a switch beside the ignition. The original mechanical pump that's attached to the engine is bypassed. Here's a picture of the pump.
There are two wires coming from the switch, one goes to the junction block where it gets current even without the key on. The other wire goes straight to the pump. The pump has a little ground wire looks like.

What is is not present, is a wire that goes to an emergency shut off at the oil pressure sensor. This setup also eliminates a return fuel line. And there is no pressure regulator on the fuel line.

For the time being I would like to keep an electric pump, but I would like to redo everything. I don't mind the switch, as I feel it could have a few advantages considering the state the car is in. But I'd like for the switch to only work if the key is on, and I'd like to install an emergency shut off. That being said, I've looked at the electric fuel pumps that Rock Auto brings up. The two it gives for my car both say they put out between 4 to 6 psi of pressure, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is about what you want right? Do I still need a regulator, if so, how would I find the right one? Also, how would I find the right emergency shut off switch as well?

Other concerns are... would I need to get a fuel filter? Also, where is the oil pressure switch? Is it only accessible from below? I'm studying this picture but...

Last edited by Hillbilllystarfire; June 5th, 2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old June 5th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Standard Motor Products PS27 oil pressure switch, or a similar one from any newer car with an electric pump.

The wire from the "S" terminal on the starter powers the pump when you start cranking the engine, before oil pressure comes up. The wire from the ignition switch provides power in the RUN position once there is oil pressure.

FYI, I'd worry more about that rust. Can't tell if that's the frame or the rocker, but at a minimum it's a good way to abrade your rubber hoses.
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Standard Motor Products PS27 oil pressure switch, or a similar one from any newer car with an electric pump.

The wire from the "S" terminal on the starter powers the pump when you start cranking the engine, before oil pressure comes up. The wire from the ignition switch provides power in the RUN position once there is oil pressure.

FYI, I'd worry more about that rust. Can't tell if that's the frame or the rocker, but at a minimum it's a good way to abrade your rubber hoses.

She does have some rust. im not sure where the switch goes
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hillbilllystarfire
She does have some rust. im not sure where the switch goes
The oil pressure port on the engine. You'll need to unscrew the stock switch and get a tee fitting from the hardware store. These are all 1/8" NPT thread.
Old June 5th, 2017, 05:28 PM

The oil pressure port on the engine. You'll need to unscrew the stock switch and get a tee fitting from the hardware store. These are all 1/8" NPT thread.
looking for the oil pressure port, can't find it. Or at least I'm thinking I can't find it
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hillbilllystarfire
looking for the oil pressure port, can't find it. Or at least I'm thinking I can't find it
The drawing you posted above shows it on the front driver's side of the block.
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:11 AM

Oil pressure switch is on the rear passenger side, located on the oil filter housing attached to the block. Come on guys, it's a 394
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
Oil pressure switch is on the rear passenger side, located on the oil filter housing attached to the block. Come on guys, it's a 394
OK, time to come clean. I've never owned a first gen Olds V8 in my life!
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM

OK, time to come clean. I've never owned a first gen Olds V8 in my life!
I'm new to this as well, I haven't gotten under the car yet to get to the plug, but I'm pretty sure it's not connected. But yes I figured it was in the back. I'm a little nervous about jacking this ok girl up in the air for the first time.
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Use a floor jack under the cross member and then place a jack stand under each lower control arm.
Old June 15th, 2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Use a floor jack under the cross member and then place a jack stand under each lower control arm.

so my discovery is that the oil senser is shot and there are no wires going to it. There is this one wire in photograph, kind of orange red pink something that is totally clipped. I'm guessing that's original wire that went to the sensor? It could almost reach. In its original form, did the sensor just have the one wire? I also think I may have to remove the oil filter housing to be able to remove the old sensor. I can get a little wrench in there but can't get it to turn. I feel like the three bolts holding the housing on would be easier to get loose than the sensor. Should I do that? Is there something to be careful of if doing that?

Last edited by Hillbilllystarfire; June 15th, 2017 at 10:00 PM.