The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just picked up a 72 CS

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM

Just picked up a 72 CS

I just traded for a 72 Cutlass Supreme a few days ago and wanted to introduce myself.

Heres the short of it, I had a '02 Grand Prix as a daily driver a few years ago and got a new vehicle and hadnt been driving it. It was pretty beat but still ran ok, needed tires and lots of body and mechainical work. I was about ready to strip the good parts off and scrap it when I found this 72 cutlass that the guy desperately needed to get rid of for a work car, so we traded straight up

The good: Great body, all solid not a bit of rust anywhere that I could find. Just a few things that need fixed before paint. column shift 350/auto

Most of the parts were in the car, seems like all I will need is carpet, headliner, and a few headlight filler pieces. Has new gas tank and high performance starter

The dash is in amazing shape, looks brand new, aside from being green

There is enough trim there to trim out two cars it looks like

has a nice stone guard and two sets of decent grilles with it.

It has BRAND NEW re-upholstered bucket and rear seats with new pad and everything, they are in great shape.

Bad: Those brand new seats are yellow and purple.

The exhaust needs straightened out and the 350 rocket needs tuned but it runs great. It will need a voltage regulator I suspect, the gen light is on and the alt is new according to the prev owner.

the rear bumper has dual cutouts but has some rust holes, going to see about patching it and painting it body color.

Worst part is that someone cut the roof to fit a ASC custom sliding moonroof kit. It looks like the entire kit is there, so I will probably just install it. This isnt a numbers matching 1 of 1 car by any means so a sunroof couldnt hurt anything I suppose. I really dont feel like trying to straighten out that roof

Overall its a decent little project, the thing I love about it is it has new brakes and tires, and when you turn the key it starts right up. I plan on making this into a fun budget project, it wont be show quality but should look decent and be fun to drive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20130101_144244.jpg (53.8 KB, 104 views)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM

Welcome, looks like a good project.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
72 Olds CS

[QUOTE=junkyard72;492679]I just traded for a 72 Cutlass Supreme

It has BRAND NEW re-upholstered bucket and rear seats with new pad and everything, they are in great shape.

Bad: Those brand new seats are yellow and purple.

Worst part is that someone cut the roof to fit a ASC custom sliding moonroof kit. It looks like the entire kit is there, so I will probably just install it. This isnt a numbers matching 1 of 1 car by any means so a sunroof couldnt hurt anything I suppose. I really dont feel like trying to straighten out that roof

[/QUOTE

Nice it's my understanding that the 72CS is the most desirable model of all!!!

With those seats the car is now a 1 of1 LOL. No worries SEM vinyl dye can change the seat and dash colors

Good luck w you project !
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard! Keep us posted with the progress
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
NOVICE car nut

Cool ! I got one of those
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:03 PM

Are there any lakers fans out there that want to trade for a nice black set of seats
Anyway, SEM is probably the route I am going to take. Ive used the stuff you buy at Autozone before and its junk. The car is column shift but came with the bucket seats, holes are not drilled in the floor pan for them. the outer most holes from the bench seats look like they match up so I guess I'll just make them as even and straight as possible and drill my own holes. Ive also noticed that Im missing random things, like one seatbelt and one sunvisor

I found some new carpet that someone bought and didnt use, its green. Pics of it are attached, anyone know if it will work by looking at it? He said its for a 4 door but its only $35 so if I can make it fit thats a great deal.

Oldsguybry is your name Bryan with a y, if so thats my name also. You might be my long lost oldsmobile twin or something
Attached Images
olds carpet1.jpg (38.4 KB, 21 views)
olds carpet2.jpg (36.9 KB, 19 views)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. 'Bryan 2'
If you've got enough trim for 2 cars......that means you need to buy another project car to trim out after you do this one.

FYI, the bucket seat tracks are not screwed to the floor. They mounting brackets are welded to the pan for strength. You'll likely need to reposition the mounts from the bench seat when you install the buckets.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Welcome!
My 70 came with a sunroof....i was going to patch it in but decided,like you it was not worth the bother.....i actually like driving the car with it!
The carpet looks like it will work,hard to tell.....try it and let us know

Ted
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:18 AM

Hi Bryan Welcome! I have a old 70 Vista Cruiser that I need carpet for, I wanted gold but green would work. I don't want to pay new price. I have a bunch of driver condition parts you may want. Don't know where you are... Shipping... I've got seat belts-71 Supreme grills etc. I'm in Michigan. Let me know if interested, Thanks Greg.
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:25 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM

Welcome to CO. Look forward to hearing more about your project
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Hey Greg, I might take you up
on that if it doesn't work for mine, there will be a few things I'll be needing

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:00 AM

In my opinion 69-72 had the best looking body. No offense to anyone. Good luck on your project
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cutlass 77
In my opinion 69-72 had the best looking body. No offense to anyone. Good luck on your project
I don't think anyone who's posted on this thread would disagree with you in the slightest
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Olds Nut

x2