The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

just picked up a 71 cutlass s

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM

just picked up a 71 cutlass s

Got some questions here for you guys. Ive got the front clip to bare metal about 95% bare metal. Pain in the butt i tell ya. One question i have is that i think it use to have a soft top and thats what i want to go back to but i have know trim pieces. I have found pieces on opgi.com i figured about 250 for all i need. The question i have is there a front trim piece between the door window and windshield or does the soft top go all the way down to base of the fender? Another, how difficult is a soft top install is it glue down, how is it sealed? Many other questions but i will direct to specific forums. Thanks
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Welcome, I don't have your answers, but the others will. Nice to see another AZ. Olds fan.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Past Administrator

If your car is a fastback with a vinyl top then the vinyl goes down the A pillar. If it is a nothcback with a vinyl top then it does not, it was called the "halo" roof style. With the "halo" style vinyl top there was stainless trim around the circumference of the vinyl, on all sides. As to how to apply it. I have never done it but I would go to an automotive paint supply store and see if they have it there. I bet it would take a certain amount of skill to get the top on without any air bubbles or imperfections. Welcome to CO.