The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

just a newbie who wants to learn and needs some help

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:55 AM

just a newbie who wants to learn and needs some help

Hey everyone thought I'd start off saying my car isn't a classic yet, its a 1989 oldsmobile toronado. but I don't want to keep it as a classic car, its my car to get to and from school 100+ miles until I find an apartment. This is pretty much a plea from someone who knows nothing about cars, I'll post all my questions in the correct forums. and I look forward to the help you guys may or may not give me.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Welcome! There is plenty of help in here, just ask away.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM

For real, this site is great.. I bought a '70 cutlass drove it for a month and ended up diving right into a full engine electrical and front end resto. Cars still being worked on but the point is, i would of sold this thing months ago if it wasent for the "pros" on this site. Welcome aboard
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks guys I'm way to new with all this I'm 18 this is my first car and I've never tried to fix one up in my life.
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Oldsdruid

You have a pretty stylish car for an 18-year-old. The short-tails weren't my favorite, but they are way better cars than people gave them credit for being. The 3800 engine and transaxle were pretty refined and bulletproof by then.

Worst thing you'll get into will be all the electronics, as they weren't really that refined when new and they are now 20+ years old. Hoping that it is a Toronado, not a Trofeo, and that it does not have the digital dash cluster or Visual Information Center that controlled heat, A/C and radio.

Besides- you can cut your teeth with this one, and then someday grab a 1st Gen Toronado!
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Thanks I stumpled into a lot of graduation money lol. but its not a trofeo and has the electronic dash I can probably fiddle around with that and bring the odometer back up I don't think it would be too hard. I just need an owners manual.

also a first gen toronado would just blow my mind to have one I really like oldsmobile and licoln but I'm not into cars too much.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard.
I remember when I was 18. We used to dust off the dinosaur before heading to the drive in. Usually meet up with Fred, Barney and their families on the way.

The 89 Toro did have its fair share of problems with the digital dash.

What would be of more assistance though would be a 1989 Oldsmobile Chassis Service manual. It's the bible the GM techs worked from in the shops. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Oldsmob...#ht_534wt_1144
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome aboard.
I remember when I was 18. We used to dust off the dinosaur before heading to the drive in. Usually meet up with Fred, Barney and their families on the way.

The 89 Toro did have its fair share of problems with the digital dash.

What would be of more assistance though would be a 1989 Oldsmobile Chassis Service manual. It's the bible the GM techs worked from in the shops. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Oldsmob...#ht_534wt_1144
cool I should have guessed I needed this and bot the owners manual.
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I would have bought the Owners Manual too. It's always nice to have a document that tells you how the factory options are really supposed to work.

I've found the CSM's to be very helpful in all aspects of car repair. Now one thing you might not want to hear? It assumes you have mechanical understanding of what it describes - after all it was written for GM techs who already have mechanical skills. Not a problem for you though - you can always ask here for interpretation and help. That's one of the great features of info sharing amongst Olds enthusiasts. I have to go back and look, but I recall discussing the Toro (your mode) with another member who knows a fair bit about them.