The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just need a value for a 1986 Cutlass Salon

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Just need a value for a 1986 Cutlass Salon

Hi my name is Rhonda and I just wanted to stop by to see if anyone could give me an idea of what I could sell my 1986 Cutlass Salon for.
If this is in the wrong post area please direct me to the correct one. I'm very sorry for the length.
I bought it in 1989 and used it basically to drive the kids around. I'm the second owner, the first being someone from the Ringling Bros. circus compound. I don't remember right off hand the exact name on it but I remember the dealer telling me that the original owner would drive it from their compound in Florida to St. Louis. He said they had never used the heater or the ashtray. If you run a VIN check does it list previous owners at all?

Ok, anyway fast forward to today and the car was garaged nearly all the time when I had it. Last year I gave it to my son who was going to restore it. It sat on his driveway for nearly a year. My son decided he didn't have the time to devote to it and we both agreed that we should sell it to someone who would really appreciate it and fix it up. I really love this car so I don't want to sell it to be parted out or some kind of modified, jacked up car (does that even make sense?) I would love for someone that truly loves the car and wants a project restoring it the way it was in original condition. It started up for us; we had to jump the battery because it sat so long. My husband said that when he drove it home it didn't run great but he did make it home. It started fine after that. Here's what I can think of that I know about it:
  • Years back we purchased a rebuilt engine from, I believe my husband said the GM factory, anyway it is the same kind as the original. He can't remember if it's a 307 or 305. Will try to figure that out.
  • Engine has approximately 60 thousand miles and the car itself approx. two hundred thousand plus.
  • Husband said he thinks the carburetor needs some attention
  • Has newer tires and battery
  • Vinyl top is cracking
  • needs a paint job
  • Very small rust spot about the size of pack of cigarettes on the rear quarter panel right above the tire. I'm sure there are probably some tiny little rust spots here and there but nothing major at all.
  • Interior is in great condition. There is a very small spot that has worn through on the driver's seat. There are probably 10 or more cigarette burns on the driver's side door right below the window in a cluster. Husband had a new headliner professionally installed.
  • Everything on the dash is fine.
  • I haven't had a chance to go through everything yet but just before it was parked at my son's house everything was in working order, power seats, windows etc.
  • In the trunk there is a section of material, don't know what it's called, anyway it's at the very back against the backseat, anyway my husband had cut out circles in that material for speakers he had in it at one time.
  • I have a couple of pieces of trim that I purchased from the factory but never put on, still in the packaging.
  • The foam around the doors needs to be replaced.
  • There are several dimples/dents about the size of maybe a golf ball on the hood. Have to ask my son about that one.
  • Black with Grey vinyl top and Grey interior (don’t know if that is the "technical color name"
That's about all I can think of for now. The pictures I have included are from my phone so not the greatest. I can use my digital SLR for much better shots if something specific is needed. I will use better photos when I go to sell it.

I truly appreciate anything that anyone can help me with. I don't want to sell it blindly. A guy tried to tell me that the "Salon" meant nothing, he said "maybe in its day it meant something but not today." He said oh that just meant cosmetic stuff. I find that hard to believe, I know I read something about the sport package? Anyway I think he's just trying to get it for next to nothing.
Also is there anything that we can do to help it sell better, besides typical cleaning etc? Husband can do some mechanical. Again I apologize for the length and hope that I have not posted incorrectly.
Rhonda

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:14 PM

Wasn't sure how to post multiple photos so I put them here.

Old April 28th, 2012, 04:22 AM

That's a decent-looking car, but keep in mind that this era of Cutlass isn't as high on the collectibilty list as the earlier eras are, and even very good condition examples don't command premium prices.

According to the most recent edition of the Old Cars Price Guide to carry values of cars this new, which is the October 2011 issue, the value of an '86 Cutlass Salon 2-door coupe in #3 condition ("car show" condition but not as good as "showroom condition") is about $3,500.

With the various issues you describe, especially the dents in the hood, cracked vinyl top, in need of paint, rust spots here and there, etc. this car is not at the #3 level. In #4 condition, which is described as "runs and drives but needs complete restoration," the value given is about $1,600.

Now that's quite a spread in values, and your car is probably somewhere in between. Remember, too, that these values are very average for those condition levels, but they at least give you some kind of starting point. Your car is not a $10,000 car, but it's not a $1,000 car, either.

Given the numbers of above and the condition of your car as described and as we can see it in the photos, I would suggest that the value is in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd say $1100-1500. I have an 82 in similar condition with 79k miles.

It is honestly better to drive these cars into the ground than it is to sell them.

If you drive it and maintain it, it will last you 15 years.....if you sell, you only get 15cents.
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM

I say 3000 would be a good starting point if selling as is. This would keep away the ones who just want to use it as an average car or for parts, etc. The more you do to get it fixed up, the more that number can go up. At least clean it it up as best possible.

The Salon added sports exterior appearance items, sports interior stuff, and firm suspension and steering, the latter both very desirable on this body style. It is also not very common on this body style.
So it DOES mean something. The Cutlass and supreme were more focused on luxury - soft ride and looser steering.

This should have the 307 V8, which is an Olds small block. A 305 woulda been a Chevy, completely unoriginal for this year.

Its condition as you describe is not bad for a car of this age with so many miles.
Are you getting a check engine light? If so, here is a good checklist on pulling computer codes and just getting it running right!
http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/howto.html
http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/more_power.html

I have an 86 Cutlass coupe and I have to say, these cars are extremely comfortable to drive long distances. The Salon model makes it even more fun in the turns!

Bottom line - if you are not in a hurry to sell, start at a higher price (even 4000) and gradually move down. Put it on ebay and craigslist as the exposure is large. I am sure someone is out there who wants one just like this one. Coulda been their high school car, first car, or whatever. Sentimental people will pay a purty penny for it too - I do it myself! A buddy of mine bought a run down rusty Pinto wagon for 2200 and is doing a "frame"-off on it. Quite crazy, but that was it first car. Therefore, the right person will pay way over book value since sentimental value is way above book.

Best of luck in selling it and let us know if you need any help in any repairs!
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Nice car.
The Salon is a short step away from a 442. Your interior looks just like my 85 442 except the emlem on the door panel. You should have the sport suspension. Your 307 is perhaps a camshaft and harmonic balancer away from being a VIN-9 442 version, which is still just a 307. Oh, your '86 may have the small port roller cam engine, great for mileage, not so good for performance. The number/letter ID on the corner of the heads will help ID what motor you now have.

The buckets and console in gray are nice and desirable. Markets vary greatly across the nation. Such a rustfree car is exceedingly rare here in MI.

What I have now is a totally rotted out body with a good interior, fresh 403 engine, 4-spd auto trans, and 3.73 posi rear end.

With your car's body and my drivetrain, I could have a very nice 442. For such a body I could see paying $2000 easily. My windshield is secured to rust. A huge rust hole ABOVE the windshield lets air and water in so that the headliner hung down about to the carpet. Whistles like a banshee above 30 mph. You can reach up into the door from what used to be the bottom, and unlock it, in case you locked the keys inside. Taillights quit one day because the ground wire was screwed to the trunk floor, and that portion of the floor was no longer connected to the car.

Imagine what it would take to fix this instead:

12112_RUST1.jpg

Last edited by Octania; April 29th, 2012 at 07:19 AM.