The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

From Jacksonville, Fl

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM

From Jacksonville, Fl

Hello !

My name is Tim.. I joined the Forum after discovering it a short time back in a search for car parts for one I had an interest in. Turns out the car probably will need more done to it, than I have time or money for.

My first car was a 1966 Jetstar 88 in High school. It had about 75k on it, I gave all of $50 bucks for it.. a buddy of mine owned it , buying it as the second owner , from the original owner.. he beat it up some, wasn't really all that mechanically inclined, and so , thinking it was on its last leg (which it was far from) the junkyard offered him $35.00 for it. I offered $50.00 and bought it . Bought a second $50.00 one for a parts car to replace the damaged body parts of the first one ... The second was a Holiday Sedan...and other than having a busted windshield, it was intact and in pretty nice shape.. I didn't realize then, that I scrapped the more valuable car to save the lesser valuable one....anyway.. The Oldsmobile , to me was the gem of the GM line, although I owned several Buick automobiles since....I have to say, I often wish I had never parted with my Jetstar.

Anyway... look forward to meeting and chatting with some of you on here. For any of you out there looking, I know of a 4 dr sedan, Jetstar 88 here in Florida.. I looked at it briefly....but it is so far gone interior wise, and in many other ways, it is not cost-effective to restore and is probably best suited to be a parts car... The owner says it runs decent.. has the 330 V8 and I presume Jetaway 2spd tranny.. Body is fair.. So for some Dynamic or Jetstar 88 ( 1966 ) owners out there, this one does have alot of usable parts. Let me know, and I will gladly put you in touch with the owner.
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Welcome, nice history. What are you working on now? Post pics when you can.
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Thanks !

Presently no project car... I have (don't laugh please) a 1976 Vega GT Wagon, I acquired about a decade ago and spent some money on to get it running...a sizeable amount just to transport the car from the North, to my then home, of Winter Park, Fl . Moved back home to Jax in 2004, following the passing of both parents, bringing the project Vega with me.. Now it is for sale..

My next project will be what it should have been all along.....another Olds... The 1966 Body Style of the Delta, Dynamic, Jetstar 88s all appeal to me. so probably one of those three will be next . When that does happen , I will definitely post pictures.

In the meantime.......anyone interested in a Vega? LOL wait... This is an Oldsmobile site! lol ...sorry.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, thanks for the nice introduction. We hope you will enjoy it here.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM

Welcome to CO, Tim! Hope you get really lucky really fast and find the Oldsmobile of your dreams!
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I've got a new friends down there.
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by timmycan
I have (don't laugh please) a 1976 Vega GT Wagon
Too late. I laughed.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Welcome to CO

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Too late. I laughed.
X2 Glad to have to aboard
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM

I'm thinking a 455 fwd from a Toro should go in the back of that Vega!
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Thanks all for the warm welcome. And its okay to laugh at the Vega. Actually sometime back , I had a 77 Vega and it must have been produced on one of the days the assemblers were wanting to impress the boss. I put very close to 200k on that car, before the engine finally dropped a valve... put another engine in it, but by that time I more than had gotten my money's worth from it.. sold it about a year later for 400 bucks. Im sure someone ended up making a street rod out of it. Was still a good looking car when I parted with it. One funny characteristic of it was it had factory Air conditioning , and when Id turn it on going road speed..it nearly did a nose dive. those 4 banger engines were not powerhouses. The secret to keeping the steel sleeves in the cylinders from ending up in the oil pan was to keep them cool ...so mine ran on a mostly coolant mixture in the cooling system.. and I didn't beat on the car...that always helped.

My original intent with this Vega was to find a V-6/700 R4 package in good shape , and wake it up a little bit.... but my heart has always wanted another Olds... so that is next.
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Too late. I laughed.
Its ok . I cried . LOL
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

I've got a new friends down there.

Thank you...that Cutlass is sweet.
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Thank you...that Cutlass is sweet.
Sorry Don't own a "Cutlass"

But don't let my friends here give ya a hard time about the Vega. I really want an Amphicar.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
aphicar.bmp (24.4 KB, 9 views)
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Welcome aboard, Don,t worry about the Vega,hell I have an AMC Hornet.
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. I won't laugh at your Vega, a friend of mine has one of those that runs 11's at the track.
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sorry Don't own a "Cutlass"

But don't let my friends here give ya a hard time about the Vega. I really want an Amphicar.

My bad.... Sweet 442 ! I was referring to the White/ Gold striped car in the picture. its beautiful .

and its okay if people laugh... I like the Vega... its just that unfortunately it and its Ford counter-part , the Pinto were not two of the best American made cars, and their track records pretty much tell the story.
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Oldsdruid

I didn't think there were any Vegas left. Haven't seen one in at least ten years.

My Hurst/Olds's original owner traded in a 72 Vega for it. I'd say he moved up in the world.
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:22 AM

There aren't many.. and even fewer are people who actually want to restore them, but amazingly, I listed the car for sale and have had tremendous response, 3 of which want it as a restore project. Great. its a nice enough one, that it would make a good restore car.

Jamesbo .... you say you have some friends in Jacksonville? thats cool !

You folks still Iced and snowed in there in Atlanta? My roommate's Brother and Family lives in ...is it Buckhead??? I think.. nice home anyway..but I was astounded to see it several inches deep in Snow and roads Iced.

Next thing you know, Us Floridians will have to learn to drive on ice.. That ought to be interesting
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Jamesbo .... you say you have some friends in Jacksonville? thats cool !

You folks still Iced and snowed in there in Atlanta? My roommate's Brother and Family lives in ...is it Buckhead??? I think.. nice home anyway..but I was astounded to see it several inches deep in Snow and roads Iced.
I grew up in Butthead. It's a wonderful place to be "From"

Bye the bye. The white and gold thiing is [was ] a Hurst Olds.

Last time I was down there [a few years ago] I went to an old theater down town for the black tie "Gala" for Volunteer Jacksonville. But candidly, I've been there several times and always stay lost. Too many bridges.
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:23 PM

Then it was , no doubt , the Florida Theater if it was down town and a black tie event.

And you're right about bridges.. but as far as getting lost, you would just have to travel the city a bit to get familiar w it. theres a beltway all the way around the city...295/9A. 95 runs right through the heart of the downtown area. its really not all that hard to maneuver around .
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM

And to bring everyone up to speed and parted with the 1976 Vega, to a person very interested in finishing its restoration. Also parted with a friend for 21 years, my 1986 Buick Regal (great car was dependable and very reliable for years) Leaving me with 2 cars now , My Mazda MPV Van and a 1966 Olds Jetstar 88 4dr Sedan , much like my very first car... It was Listed on this site by Peglomanic for a friend of hers, Judy who turned out to be a sweet heart and sold me a car that was exactly as it was represented.

So now it is my project and it is coming along nicely... I am beginning to remove chrome and trim to send it off to the paint booth ...from there it will have all of its weatherstripping replaced... I have no intent of altering it much from Original , other than I would like to locate an AM/FM radio ,intended for that year. Luckily my home has a 3 car garage so there is plenty of room for both cars and to work.
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM

Welcome!!!! Glad your here!!!