The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Introducing Hodge

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Introducing Hodge

Hey all, My name is Steve and I've recently aquired a 66 Olds 98 convertible that I'm calling Hodge and if you read this, you'll see why. I knew there alot of issue when I bought the car, but it was running. You may find this somewhat amusing, mysterious or sad. With all that being said I've identified the engine and carb. I had suspected that the engien wasn't original to the car, but I didn't expect to find an 85-90 Olds 307 in it, but that's what the 4790 GM50LG casting numbers are. The numbers A 384785 L1 on the drivers exhaust manifold seem to tell me the manifold is for a '67 425 and thats not all. The carb#17084226 3203HCD, I beleive, is a quadrajet from an 84 Chevy pickup equipped with a 305! I beleive the distributor and coil are off of an older engine. The carb is supposed to be partially controlled by a computer and there isn't any computer. At least the A5 intake #22528212 seems to go with the engine. The car itself has a spaghetti bowl of vaccum lines, the engine has its own spaghetti bowl of vaccum systems as well as the carb having its own spaghetti bowl of vaccum systems. Haven't identified the transmission yet. Anyway, I rerouted some of the vaccum lines and it's running much, much better. At least it's not blowing black smoke, soot and carbon out the tailpipe anymore and its got much more responsivenes and power.

Right now I'm fighting with the electrical system. When I finally looked at the fuse box, I found half of the fuses with aluminm foil wrapped around them. What a surprise! I now have bright and dim headlights. The horns are kinda working. Got the tailights working, however, when either the brake lights or signal lights are activated the tail lights go out and won't come back on unless I turn the headlight switch off and back on. There had been a hitch mounted to it and I'm wondering how much of the wiring at the rear and underdash that has been altered for that. There are alot of other electrical issues too. I can't seem to locate the wiring for the power antenna nor the wiring that went to the power top rams among other things. The power windows are not running through the fuse that they are supposed to either. I found a toggle switch mounted to the back bottom edge of the dash that turns the heater blower on and another push button that is a seperate starter switch. Wow, wow, wee! I am in the process of removing the additional starter switch screwed into the bottom of the dash and the extra stereo mounted in the glove box. After that, I'm going to attempt to wire everything back to how it's supposed to be according to the 66 Olds Chassis service manual I have. Wish me lots of luck, cause I'm gonna need it!
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Gotta love the ol cars! Welcome, sounds like your well on your way. Get us some pics.
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Poor old Hodge, lol. It's amazing what people do to these old cars isn't it? We do like to see pics if you have some.
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Pics of Hodge

Here is a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
At No Jacks 092709.jpg (64.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
September 2009.jpg (90.4 KB, 23 views)
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well Hodge looks pretty good on the outside, lol!
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Hodge doesn't look bad at all. Hodge's interior is pretty good too! I'm not sure, but I think it is all original blue leather tufted seats. I don't have any pics. I'll have to take a couple and post them.