The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Intro..Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Intro..Need some help...

Brand new to the forum. Just wanted to introduce myself. I own Rallye Productions Inc. We manufacture dash plaques and a bunch of other promotional product for car shows around the country, but that's NOT why I'm here. I have an Uncle that is thinking of selling a 1970 Cutlass Convertible W-31 350 with a ram air hood. It's in rough shape....very rough.

I'm trying to help him out and get a reasonable value for it. I'm into A-bodies so I should be able to get more specific about its condition once I lay eyes on it (its been sitting for some time but I know at one point it was in rough shape).

Wondering what a basket case car like this would be worth now to someone with the investment money to bring it to where it should be. I know the W-31's have some added value and a convertible brings that up...but have no idea what the current market is on it. I've looked on the net and can't find a perfect match....guessing it's not a very common configuration.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and thanks to anyone that orders from us for their events

Brian Genrich
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Convertible

Brian, don't believe there were any factory W-31 convertibles.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM

I believe he bought this car new, but am wondering if he means W-30.

I'll check with him and get back if that's the case.

Thanks for the response,

Brian
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Correct, no w31 convertibles ever made. Get us some pix when you can, that will help with the valuation. If it is a w30, it would have been a 455 not a 350. Get us the first 5 number from the vin tag, that will explain a lot.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM

I have a series of questions for him....I'll see what he gets back with.

Thinking it best to get some pics and a vin and find out.

Thanks,

Brian
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallyeguy
Brand new to the forum. Just wanted to introduce myself. I own Rallye Productions Inc. We manufacture dash plaques and a bunch of other promotional product for car shows around the country, h
Welcome. Others have covered the fact that there were no W-31 convertibles ever made, and that a W-30 would have been a 455. We're anxious to see the car in question.

I will say that our OCA chapter has routinely used Rallye Productions for the dash plaques and trophy bases for our annual All-GM show in Rockville, MD, and we've always been pleased with the product. Thanks.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome Brian.
If you can get clear pics
of both the vin plate and
the cowl plate posted, these fellas
will be able to let you know exactly
what you have. Be aware that engines
and trannys and just about anything else
could have been changed or swapped after 45 yrs.
Looking forward to any pics provided. GLWS.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks Joe,

I'm a newbie to details of the Cutlass, but have always been a GM guy.....(67 Chevelle Malibu, and 67 Chevelle SS).

Just trying to help out a family member. He bought this new and has been sitting on it forever...To the point that it rusted away in the driveway all of my younger years.

I always remember it having a ram air hood, and having the black line and a W-xx on the side....He's not mechanically inclined in the least, so I'm not sure what the full story is. Should be an interesting puzzle to put together. Looking forward to the expertise from this board when I have better info.

Its parked in a barn out of town now, so I need to decide if its worth a trip on his behalf to get the goods on it. Gotta love the internet for the quick help. Thanks again to all for the quick responses.

Thank you as well for the kind feedback on our service to your club/event It is appreciated. We've had a great relationship with clubs all around the country for over 50 years. Amazing when you can make a living from a hobby you enjoy.

Brian
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks True.....I'll be sure to include those items.

Brian
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM

have some new info...

http://www.rallyeproductions.com/ima...lds_plate.jpeg

This is all my nephew could find. Have a feeling they removed the chassis tag in the door when they did repairs on the car.....or he may have missed the door tag.

The story from my uncle is he got out of dental school and ordered the car as a gift to himself for finishing....His words "We had the car custom-made to be like the 442 with a ram air hood and everything on it and made special as a convertible. They referred to it as the W 31 sport package and I'm quite sure the sales contract had that written on it as well."

So I'm hoping the tag tells the story.

Let me know what the tag says it is...

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Rallyeguy; August 27th, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Beer Connoisseur

FYI....whatever you posted the link is not working, actually none of the links are working.
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM

The body tag decodes as a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible, V-8 engine, built the second week of January 1970 in Lansing. Platinum lower body color with black convertible top. Black vinyl bucket seats.

I'm assuming the number to the left of the "B" on the right side next to the PNT is a "14".

Old August 28th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Guessing he told them what he wanted so they added a ram air hood and a W31 stripe kit to a supreme (I remember seeing the W-31 on it as a kid).

The condition of the car is very rough.

They do have an original ram air hood that was on the car when it was new. Along the way it was damaged in an accident. They had the car fixed and a standard hood put on it. The ram air hood was damaged but not beyond repair (their words).

It's now sitting outside with the black vinyl top essentially gone and the vinyl seats with springs poking out because of exposure.

The sheet metal "looks" intact, but my best guess would be that the floors are gone.

Thanks for all the info on the car gang.

I'll let them know what they have.

Brian