The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

i just noticed that my transmission lines dont run into the radiator

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2014, 06:00 AM

i just noticed that my transmission lines dont run into the radiator

My transmission lines run straight to the cooler and doesn't run through the radiator. so is that fine or just not hooked up properly .i have droven the car like that all last summer.

Last edited by 4door!cutlass; March 27th, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Aren't you the guy with overheating issues too?
It's best to have the trans fluid running through the radiator to both heat it to proper temp and cool it. A lot of aftermarket auxiliary coolers are meant to be used with the radiator and not replace it.
I would not hook it to your radiator without checking for leaks or crud in there. Antifreeze in your trans will kill it fast.
Considering your overheating and now this trans cooler issue, I would say time for a flush, to clean the engine passages, then a new radiator that you can hook the trans lines to. Your choice on if you want to keep the aux trans cooler. Most likely not needed unless you tow.
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by garys 68&72
Aren't you the guy with overheating issues too?
It's best to have the trans fluid running through the radiator to both heat it to proper temp and cool it. A lot of aftermarket auxiliary coolers are meant to be used with the radiator and not replace it.
I would not hook it to your radiator without checking for leaks or crud in there. Antifreeze in your trans will kill it fast.
Considering your overheating and now this trans cooler issue, I would say time for a flush, to clean the engine passages, then a new radiator that you can hook the trans lines to. Your choice on if you want to keep the aux trans cooler. Most likely not needed unless you tow.
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:45 AM

Yes I'm that guy with the overheating problem.and now this issue,i just hope i haven't hurt my 400 transmission.
but yes i guess i do need. to Just get another. radiator and hook the lines up.
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Long and short of it ... you can run your trans with just a trans cooler, provided it's getting enough air to keep it cool enough. Running it through the radiator has two effects. First off, dumping heat to liquid instead of air is more efficient, so temperature spikes are reduced. Second, and imo much more important, the radiator retains heat more evenly ... keeping you from running your trans too cold. Transmissions don't like cold any more than they like heat. The normal way to rig an aux trans cooler is to take the hot fluid from the trans, run it through the aux to dump heat .. then run it through the radiator to either dump more, or warm the fluid back up some. Since you didn't run your car in the middle of winter, that's less of an issue ... but I recommend hooking it up properly to use the rad too.

Since you don't have prestone weeping out the old trans fittings on the rad, I doubt you're at risk of a leak ... but giving it a good flushing would be a smart choice. Frankly .. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that.
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Professur
Long and short of it ... you can run your trans with just a trans cooler, provided it's getting enough air to keep it cool enough. Running it through the radiator has two effects. First off, dumping heat to liquid instead of air is more efficient, so temperature spikes are reduced. Second, and imo much more important, the radiator retains heat more evenly ... keeping you from running your trans too cold. Transmissions don't like cold any more than they like heat. The normal way to rig an aux trans cooler is to take the hot fluid from the trans, run it through the aux to dump heat .. then run it through the radiator to either dump more, or warm the fluid back up some. Since you didn't run your car in the middle of winter, that's less of an issue ... but I recommend hooking it up properly to use the rad too.

Since you don't have prestone weeping out the old trans fittings on the rad, I doubt you're at risk of a leak ... but giving it a good flushing would be a smart choice. Frankly .. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that.
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks