The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 06:08 PM

hubcaps

New to the forum, hope this question is in correct place.

Will hub caps from early 90's eight eight fit a 1984 delta 88?

Thanks in advance!
Glad I found this site, as I just purchased a 1984 delta 88 and will have plenty of questions
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I would think so ... but admittedly I am not that familiar with the later ones.

I am of the mindset that Olds 88 production ended in 1985 when the last RWD ones came off the assembly line.

A FWD wheel cover will usually fit on a RWD wheel.

It's doing the opposite that generally won't work.
(trying to use a RWD wheel cover on a FWD wheel)

Welcome ...

Always up for seeing a Delta 88.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. The caps off the FWD are locking caps. I was not sure if that would matter when determining if they would work on my car. Not sure how the locking caps work. Does bolt pattern of the rims come into play. Thanks for any help. As I am conceitering purchasing the FWDs off eBay

Also, I will post a pic of vehicle when able, as I know I haven't used newbie forum as intended. Thanks again
Old June 2nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I probably should have assumed you were after a locking WW cover.

There are at least (2) major issues with this I can think of so far that slipped my mind.

But being last night was the 1st time I was able to close my eyes for more than 15 minutes at a time ... these things happen.

Let me go poke around eBay & try to look for some pics of these FWD WW covers.

With (2) major issues already ...

I'm thinking this may actually end up being a full trifecta of fail.

Will follow up later ...
Old June 2nd, 2013, 02:24 PM

Thanks. Here is a link to the ones I'm looking at. Hope the link works as well as the hub caps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310679017543
Old June 2nd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

The (2) major issues stand.

The 3rd is more of my opinion.

#1 - Yes the bolt pattern of the different vehicles will be an issue.

Those small triangular pieces that attach on (3) of the lugs would match the BP of their intended vehicle(s).

The BP on the newer FWD wheel should be 5x115 (5x4.53) IIRC whereas your D88 would should be 5x120.7 (5x4.75). Slim chance you could have 5x127 (5x5) if you car was ordered with heavy duty or towing equipment.

But it doesn't really matter what BP you have ... those pieces from the newer FWD wheels wouldn't work due to the BP differences.

#2 - Even if you took the BP issue out of the equation & had just enough "wiggle room" to make them work ... you would still have another issue ... the shape & depth of those pieces.

With the FWD & RWD wheels having different offsets ... the correct lug pieces for your car were a taller almost "small can" looking piece. On the later FWD cars ... those lug pieces were much flatter like that of a cup "saucer" (as seen in the auction link you posted).

Bottom line 1+2 is adding up to - these will not be locking covers anymore ... which is the 3rd issue/opinion.

Not an issue so much in regards to theft ...

But I don't know how well the covers would hold on their own w/o the lock being there anymore.

There are only (5) very small clips that barely look adequate in keeping the covers attached to the FWD wheels they were meant to be attached to ... let alone a RWD wheel they weren't designed for.

Without having a RWD wheel & the wheel cover in front of my to actually test fit them ... one can't really say 100% if they would even fit. Even if they did fit ... how snug would they be ?.

My advice - stick with tracking down a RWD wire wheel cover if the wire wheel look is what you're after.

Sorry if I got your hopes up.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help. I figured there would be some issues. Thanks again. Learning as I go
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

No problem.

Best to ask before hand.

FWIW ...

An original type RWD wire wheel cover would look much better on there anyway.