The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

howdy "Olds" folks from the leftcoast

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM

howdy "Olds" folks from the leftcoast

just a quick intro gang.
my name is carl and i'm VERY new to the oldsmobile stuff,but have been playing with cars for 137 years(or so it seems.....).
yesterday i purchased a pretty cool project that my 13 year old son and i will begin. she's a little rough,but it's an honest-to-god "One owner car" and i paid next to nothing for it.in fact i got the car for free,but promised the fellow a bottle of good quality whiskey in return!!
anyways.... here's a few pic's......enjoy.
CIMG3292.jpg
CIMG3293.jpg
CIMG3294.jpg
CIMG3295.jpg
CIMG3296.jpg.

as you've probably figured out,she's a '69 cutlass S 'vert.78,000 miles on the clock and a whole lotta love required.
i own a bodyshop and have a lot of experience with this stuff,so i'm confident i can bring her back over time.

here's a couple of pic's of the ones i've already completed in my garage.
the red interior car is mine-the black on black is a car we did for a buddy.
2BLACK63NOVACONVERTIBLES012.jpg
here's my '63 impala
housebeforepaintanddogs012.jpg
and finally my '63 nova wagon project.406 cid small bolck,viper t-56 trans,9",etc...
63WAGONONITSWHEELS001.jpg

i'm looking to learn a WHOLE bunch about olds stuff,so sorry in advance for any dumb questions!
leftcoast carl.
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Welcome to the site Carl! What a sweet project car, and you can't beat the price From the tags on the car its from B.C. what part of the "left coast" are you in?

Most of the members here are really into the brand, so we may not show much interest in your other cars. But would really enjoy seeing pictures of the restoration of your Cutlass Convertible as you progress through it!

John
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM

thanks for the welcome John.
i can appreciate that my other toys may not be all that thrilling to others,but i thought i'd post them to show "i'm a REAL carnut",too.
i'm from British Columbia,Canada and live in Fort Langley which is a small community 1/2 hour east of Vancouver.I'm basically 2 1/2 hours north of Seattle,Wa.
I look forward to getting to know the folks around here.
leftcoast carl.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Carl,
Cool project, let me know if you need any parts, I am in the neighborhood!
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Getting There

Welcome to the boards from the island looks like a solid project
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Welcome, good looking project ya got there. Your other cars look pretty good!
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Ya got the right year.

Ok experts, How come some 69 Cutlassi have the silver around the tail light lens and some don't?
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by tomsw31
Carl,
Cool project, let me know if you need any parts, I am in the neighborhood!
thanks for the welcome tom(and the others too!).
i'm certain i'll need some parts.the car needs a trunk floor,1/4's and possibly more,so you can expect a call sooner or later.
this poor old car has sat for tooooooo long. my goal is to first get it running and free up the left rear wheel that's siezed up.after she rolls and drives,i'll bring it home from the shop and begin the disassembly for an immediate start on the major surgery portion of our operation.
i look forward to being part of this forum.
leftcoast carl.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

Ya got the right year.

Ok experts, How come some 69 Cutlassi have the silver around the tail light lens and some don't?
ok...i'll bite.WHY? AMerican production vs. Canadian production maybe?
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Welcome to CO from a US leftcoaster

Glad to have you aboard Carl. We look forward to the build progress pictures. Bet your son is excited and already thinking about that cool ride to high school in his near future.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Glad to have you aboard Carl. We look forward to the build progress pictures. Bet your son is excited and already thinking about that cool ride to high school in his near future.
i told him last night about our upcoming project and he's pumped!!!
i also explained that we have a bit of work ahead of us to determine the viability of restoring this car,as it's sat for years outdoors,but i'm pretty optimistic about it and he has a good attitude about the whole thing.there's not much i can't fix,so it really becomes an economics question.the car appears to be an unmolested, 98.3745% complete car(cool fraction ,huh?) with decent trim and stainless,and that's always a good place to start.

i'm heading outside to put the finishing touches on my new garage to provide a home for the new addition.i've built a 1300 sq. ft shop with 12' ceilings and a 4 post hoist.it's almost ready to see it's first car.......
leftcoast carl.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by leftcoast carl
i told him last night about our upcoming project and he's pumped!!!

i'm heading outside to put the finishing touches on my new garage to provide a home for the new addition.i've built a 1300 sq. ft shop with 12' ceilings and a 4 post hoist.it's almost ready to see it's first car.......
leftcoast carl.
Now you've gone and done it, new garage man am I envious. I don't have room on my property for a shop/garage.

Get news about your son being pumped up
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Great father son project Carl. I like that Nova wagon project you have going. Pretty cool that you have a brand new shop for the Cutlass to be brought back to life in. Post lots of pictures for the peanut gallery.
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Let's see, a bottle of very good 18-year old single malt scotch is under $100. You made a good deal. It sounds like you are the man for the job and have the place to do it. Keep us posted as it progresses. We love watching these cars take shape. This is a great board and lots of folks on here with lots of knowledge who are glad to help. This should be a good experience for you and your son. Welcome.
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Past Administrator

You have a real nice project there Carl, glad to have you with us.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM

thanks all for the warm welcome.it reminds me of the other forum i frequent...Steve's Nova Site.
i spent the day assembling my used 4-post hoist.it's not running yet,but it's well on it's way.it's gonna be very necessary for the cutlass revival,as my knees don't bend like they used to.Colin is really pumped up and will drive me crazy until the car is at home.i will take lots of pictures to document progress and love sharing them when the opportunity presents itself.
cheers!
leftcoast carl.
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM

'69 cutlass convertible revival-**update***

GREAT day today!!!
it only took 15 minutes to make the car run!!! 5 minutes to pull the plugs,2 minutes to run a new fuel line to the jerry can,3 minutes to change the battery,and 5 minutes to oil the cylinders and hand-crank the beast around.VOILA!!! it started and ran very well for a car that probably hasn't run in 7-10 years.
i watched for leaks and as it idled,all the ticking of stiff engine parts relaxed and she purred.20 minutes of idling and there was no blue smoke either.i started and stopped it several time times and had the same result over and over again.i'll check it tomorrow to ensure there's no water in the oil,etc...,but it seems good so far.
leftcoast carl.
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Welcome Carl, great score for you and the boy. looks like you are north of me. Good luck with the car and nice fleet you have