The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

How do I remove the shell of my 71 cutlass from its frame?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM

How do I remove the shell of my 71 cutlass from its frame?

I am wondering if someone here could let me know how to remove the shell of my 71 cutlass from its frame?...Is it just the body mounts? or is there more to it?
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM

disassembly

I will try to be of some help, the steering column has to be disconnected from the gear box, any wiring going into the body from frame, body mounts,clutch linkage,shifter linkage, look at the fuel lines, brake lines, and wiring going from the cowl to electric componets, such as lights,alt, that sort of thing. shocks going through the body maybe.hope this helps! and good luck!
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:39 AM
bil

Remember the e-brake cable-that got me once! I am assuming that the front clip and rear bumper are already off. ---bil
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:06 AM

I recommend taking off the front fenders and hood. Actually separating the body from the frame via removing body mount bolts is the most straightforward part unless the bolt threads are rusted to the body. Decide if the body has to be flipped, or just left with roof up. If so, you can jack up the car with hydraulic jacks at the corners. Then, support the body with drums or something under the pinchweld behind the wheels, and make an A frame to support the body across the firewall, attaching the cross piece (4" x4" x 8' wood works). Make brackets to bolt the 4x4 to reinforced areas of the firewall for the body mounts. Then you can take out the jacks and remove the rear wheels/tires and put on wheels only in the rear. The frame assy will then roll out, leaving the body on the drums. I used two engine stands, one at each end, to hold the frame and enable me to rotate it. If youwant to rotate the body, I recommend buying a rotisserie for it.