The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi from NH

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM

Hi from NH

Hi everyone, My name is James and I own a 1970 Cutlass S. My father and I (mostly me) bought this car for a thousand dollars when I was 16 off a church that was selling it to fund an orphanage they were building in Bolivia. We drove down to get in Maryland, and drove it back no problems. Since the car has arrived back in NH it has been driven less than 50 miles! Long story short, I went to college, and my father got remarried and had kids that came with the marriage, so we both put the car on hold for years and years. I just got married, and he's still treading water, and 7 (going on 8) years later, the car is still not being driven! The good news is that the body is in fantastic shape now, and is primed, just trying to scrape together 2 grand so my buddies brother can paint it for us. The interior is in fair shape, except the headliner (coming down) and the front seat looks like a bomb went off on it. After paint, we'll probably have 10 grand or so in the car (there was some body repair we just could not do). This car WILL stay with me for life; I've already made sure the wife is on board with that! I can say that before I bought this car, I knew NOTHING about engines, and I really still don't. Everyone here possess a far superior knowledge base. However, we've never been shy of trying anything, and I love DIY because I am broke as hell! Oh, I also got a hold of a 1972 4 Door Cutlass with a blown head just last week, paid 500 dollars for it just for the rims and tires. Not sure what to do with the rest of it now, after we pull off pieces we need. The interior is in good shape...and black, but unfortunately nothing will fit mine. There are so many great threads here that I've read already, and I can't wait to get to know some of you guys (and gals). I'll post pictures in an album sooner or later. Thanks for reading!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM

Hi James welcome to the site. Yes we love pics. You might be able to resale the 4dr if nothing else is wrong with it. If you could fix it and get it running. It would be a good learning tool for you and if its in decent shape raise more funds for your 70. Good luck.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Hi James welcome to the site. Yes we love pics. You might be able to resale the 4dr if nothing else is wrong with it. If you could fix it and get it running. It would be a good learning tool for you and if its in decent shape raise more funds for your 70. Good luck.
That is kind of the plan. Other than putting a new starter and headers on the 70, we haven't touched it, and it runs fantastically, even after it tragically didn't start for 2 years (!) while sitting in a barn getting body done. So, I'd like to take this 72 apart and just basically get a look at all the parts of a motor and try to learn a bit while attempting to repair it. The body is worth saving (the trunk is basically gone, but other than that surprisingly little rust, considering it sat for 7 (!!) years after the old lady who owned it from new blew the head gasket), but I don't know who'd want to sink five grand into a 4-door body. I was thinking parting it out might be more profitable.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! Glad to see another Olds will be on the road! How cool you've had it all those years!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM

In that case parting it out the 72 would be the best thing to do.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM

Welcome.
What part of NH James?
Goffstown here....
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Sounds like your plan is a good one, it will be a learning experience for sure.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 74 Omega
Welcome.
What part of NH James?
Goffstown here....
Milton, just north of Rochester.