The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi All, Happy ta know ya!!!

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Hi All, Happy ta know ya!!!

Just got a 1971 Ninty Eight Hardtop sedan with 41200 original miles in April. A real base car, hardly any options, crank windows, cloth non-power seats, steel roof.
Car is nice but was not stored properly and must of had stuff piled on it.
Has surface rust on the chassis but no body rot. Mechanicals were mostly factory original. Been redoing a lot of the mechanical just because of age.
Had to replace the exhuast, had the one side done but would like top put duals on it. Does anyone know if the 71 Ninty Eights came with duals? I want the duals to look factory even if it was not an option.
I was able to get some of the factory brackets new but cannot find the rear hanger at the tail pipe and the one at the trans crossmember.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Thanks for posting pictures on your first post. Everybody (me included) will hound the heck out of you if you don't post pictures. The car looks great. I will let somebody more knowledgeable about these cars than me answer your questions about the dual exhaust. It is pretty unusual for a 98 to not have power seats and windows. You are fortunate it did not have a vinyl roof because it would probably have rust underneath it by now. I think this is a pretty car. Where are you located?
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard.
Contrary to popular belief, Ninety Eights did not come loaded from the factory. The options (as in later years) still had to be ordered or added by the dealer.

The 71 Ninety Eight did have the option for N10 dual exhaust. They would be downturned under the rear bumper and not extend - rather they would be flush with the end of the bumper as your single exhaust is. You can easily convert it to dual exhaust by changing the right hand exhaust manifold. I believe they are sold separately. There's a great diagram of the exhaust on page 8-22 of the Chassis Service Manual if you have one.
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice car. You might try a custom exhaust shop about doing your duals.
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:59 PM

nice

Dual exhaust should be easy on a '71 98, use W-Z manifolds...
Old August 17th, 2015, 05:35 PM

Thanks all for the exhaust info.

I found a reproduction of the factory blockoff plate for the crossover pipe so I will not have to change the pass. manifold. I have an exhaust shop that did the single for me as a custom with 2-1/4" front to back and a Thrush Turbo muffler, has a nice burble, and turned down at the tail pipe.
I want to replicate on the drivers side so it looks factory but am having problems finding all the factory hangers and brackets. I got the hanger at the muffler and two of the brackest new from Walker but they do not list the tail pipe hanger, which is side specific, or the hanger at the trans. cross memeber.
I am just east of Lancaster PA, Amish Country, and all the local junk yards crushed the big iron years ago. Hope to find somthing at Fall Carlisle or Hershey if cannot find them before.

Thanks,

Dave
Old August 17th, 2015, 10:36 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site. I owned one for...about three months. It got rear ended in 1990 or so. Really nice riding cars with room for friends. Yours looks quite nice for today.

I later pulled the engine and it has been in my car since then. Lots of fun miles on this one. Can't help you on your exhaust Q's.

Have you checked the paint code? Is it #42 Palm green or #43 lime green? Just don't see'em every day.
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum and wow, your 98 looks great! I always love seeing how these cars were optioned since the list of option was always huge. I don't think I've ever seen 2 optioned exactly the same way.

Ditto on Allan's comments about the duals. This is the setup I have on both of my cars and it's a great improvement in both sound and performance (just looks awesome too!).

The tailpipe hangar you're referring to should be pretty easy to find. In fact, I think I've seen them on ebay a number of times.

As for the cross member, they're not THAT hard to find but you may have to look around a bit. In fact, there's a guy stripping a '74 88 convertible on ebay right now (I think he's even in PA if I remember right). That might have the one you need.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:19 PM

Colors

Don71,

The lower is #42 Palm Green and the roof is #49 Antique Jade and the interior is Jade Green cloth.

Dave