The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello - New to Olds, sort of...

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2017, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Hello - New to Olds, sort of...

Hello, I guess this is the place to start off with since this is my first post here.
Although I don't currently have an Olds in my garage (I do have a freshly restored '69 GTO convertible), my family has an Olds history going back to the mid 1950s. Among the cars in that history are a 1950 Olds Super 88 that my Dad raced all over New England, a 1957 Olds 88 hardtop, and 2 different '66 442s, the first which he bought new at Gallo Olds in Worcester, Mass. That car was a screamer!

My brother is also an Olds guy with a pair of '71 442s - a regular 442 and a W30 stick car.

Anyway, what brings me here is that at some point in the near future I will most likely be taking possession of my Dad's (second) '66 442...as he's been unable to drive it now for a number of years due to some engine issues (it doesn't run) and his getting on in years. It's a Lansing built car, the Cutlass S hardtop body style with the stainless side trim, with a build date in the spring of '66. Originally Autumn Bronze with a black vinyl top and black bucket interior and 4 speed console. It has the corner dash tach and an AM radio and that's about it.

After reading through my little story, I'm hoping that I'll be able to dig up some further history about his car from any members here who may remember it from years ago.

My Dad bought this car in the early 1980s as a project...1982 we believe. It came out of southern Connecticut, my brother thinks Westbrook or maybe Groton...but definitely down at the coast on Long Island Sound.
At this point it is not a running car due to something he did to it when 'tinkering' about 7 or so years ago. In the late 1990s he had done some 'Mondello' mods to the engine which may or may not have been such a great idea, so I'm hoping the block is still good. To the best of my knowledge it is probably not a numbers car, although I haven't compared the block casting date to the build week... but it does have a '65-'67 400 (E) engine, a Muncie M21, and 3.55 posi rear. While I'm not sure about the transmission, I do think the rear axle is original to the car.

When he bought the car, there was a box of stuff including the Protect-O- Plate, owners manual, an expired previous registration from New York, and other miscellaneous paperwork in a cardboard box. In the glovebox was also had a card for the Ultra High Voltage - Capacitive Discharge ignition, although we don't know for sure that his car actually came with it. But unfortunately all that paperwork has disappeared. We think Dad tossed it all. I'm hopeful that we'll find it while rummaging through some metal cabinets that he stored parts in.

Anyway, the way he bought it was NOT how it rolled off the line in Lansing. Aside from the top end of the engine being in the trunk, the car had been given a custom paint job at some point in it's life, I'm guessing the early '70s. The base color was a pearl white color, with a light blue feathered edging around the doors and fender openings...I think there was also some strange paint scheme on the hood and trunk lid?
It also had these (ugly as sin) light blue and pink-ish ribbon stripes down the sides... kind of like that old Christmas ribbon candy.
It was quite a sight...LOL. I can recall how thrilled my Mom was when they pulled it up the driveway on his buddy's trailer.
That was a spirited conversation!
I'm guessing it may have been some type of show car, or possibly might have been raced? The heads from the engine were "C" heads with heavy springs and the distributor was a '67 W30 unit, and the intake was the standard '66 / '67 Q-Jet unit. And although we didn't know the specs of the cam in the engine, it was big, so the engine wasn't completely stock.
When he pulled the rear axle apart years ago because it was making noise, there was evidence of carnage, so I'm guessing something came apart in there. 8.2s aren't the strongest anyway, so if it had been raced at all,that would almost be expected. I haven't looked for the stamped code on the housing so I don't know what the original ratio was.

Anyway, over the next few years he tinkered with it, had it painted on the cheap, got it running and drove it frequently until about 7 or 8 years ago.
I'm hoping to revive it this coming year. It will need the engine pulled to determine what's wrong with it and some other fixes as well. The interior needs attention since critters have taken up residence. And before I'd even consider driving it once it runs again, it will need a brakes upgrade to at least a dual master cylinder and all new lines etc. The body could use some attention as it's showing signs of distress from sitting for a long time and the back yard body work job, but I'm more concerned about mechanicals for now. I'll look at it as 'patina'.

So that's the story. I don't have any pics of it from back in it's 'glory days', and we've all seen numerous Autumn Bronze cars so there's nothing being missed. But I'd just like to get it back in running condition for his sake. And truthfully, I'm hoping there's someone who may remember this car from back in the day and give me some history on it. Thanks for reading.
Dave
Old December 19th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, yes we all have seen Autumn Bronze cars. Post some pics in its current or when modified state. Hope it won't need much to get it back running.
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Thank you. It's great to be on here.
Ok, will do. I'll get a few pics this weekend when I visit the family.
Now that I'm just finishing the last few items for my GTO resto, I don't have the money or the energy to do that again...so I also hope that it won't be anything major. I want to keep it simple and just get it running and make it safe to cruise around in. I'll worry about cosmetic stuff later. Thank you.
Old December 20th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Welcome aboard