The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello Forum!

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2022, 07:35 AM

Hello Forum!

I'm a Hillbilly from Lynnwood, WA (a little North of Seattle). I just bought a 1956 Oldsmobile 88, (standard version), two door post.

It has the 324 Cubic Inch V8 with a 4-barrel, good tires with mags, automatic transmission. The body is straight with a little minor rust that needs R&R. Relatively fresh dual exhaust.

The factory master cylinder leaks so finding a suitable replacement is my first order of business, (any help you fellers know about would be appreciated). She is missing the door panels; (I hope I can find 2 interior door panels). She needs a driver's side floor pan, (I maybe able to weld the factory one as it isn't too bad). She needs paint.

I was originally gonna fix her and sell her, butt: I really like her so I'm prolly gonna keep her. I haven't named her yet, (I usually name my cars and trucks).

I have a 2008 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, (Vicky), and a 1987 F150 4x4 (Black Betty). I had a 1956 pristine Chev that was stolen back in the day, (the '56), this is me first Oldsmobubble. My friend's Dad had a super cool 1952 88 and a 1953 98 that I remember well.

The "oldmercsrule" name I've used for many years, (on boating and political forums). I own a private island, and run a bunch of inline6 Mercury outboards, (tower of power). Very fast, very inexpensive to run and maintain.

I hope this info helps you fellers ta know me a wee bit.

Glad to be here,

Respectfully,

murky

Last edited by oldmercsrule; November 26th, 2022 at 04:55 AM.
Old November 24th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures of your stuff when you get a chance.
Old November 24th, 2022, 08:39 AM

Welcome.
Old November 24th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Congrats on your purchase. Since it is a regular 88, it will have the hydra-matic instead of the Jetaway which is a stronger transmission. You will notice it has no P position on the shift indicator which means there is no position for park. You park it in reverse and a parking pawl engages when you turn the key off. Also, the 4-barrel has been added since the 88 originally came with a 2-barrel. You should probably consider having your existing master cylinder rebuilt. Karps Power Brake Service (Home - KARPS POWER BRAKE SERVICE & CYLINDER SLEEVING (karpspb.com) does a great job and has been in business a long time. We really need to see those pictures.
Old November 24th, 2022, 09:40 AM

1956 Olds 88
Old November 24th, 2022, 09:45 AM

Old November 24th, 2022, 09:51 AM

I need to black out the plates to send the front and back view. I left the plate of the car hauler in one, (I'm not very smart).

I need to ponder antitheft on this girl, I had a secret switch to ground the points on the 1956 Chev which didn't work, (obviously).

The previous owner said it runs on 87 octane regular with a lead additive, (maybe because the 4 barrel was added after the fact)??????

I will run pure dinosaur fuel, (no alcohol), is he correct about regular grade fuel????
Old November 24th, 2022, 09:52 AM

BTW: thanks for the welcomes!!!!!!!
Old November 24th, 2022, 09:54 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I always ran mid-grade in the 54 I had. It should not have but it wanted to ping a little bit on the 87 octane. I never used any lead additive. This old gal looks to be in pretty good shape.
Old November 24th, 2022, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I always ran mid-grade in the 54 I had. It should not have but it wanted to ping a little bit on the 87 octane. I never used any lead additive. This old gal looks to be in pretty good shape.
She's in amazing shape, interior isn't bad either. Someone gave her some TLC along the line.

The next two pics show the only minor rust on the right side front of the hood. Doors close like a vault, everything is in line so likely never stacked up.

Chrome is also decent.

Old November 24th, 2022, 02:04 PM

Old November 24th, 2022, 02:06 PM

Old November 24th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your recent acquisition...
Old November 24th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Looks to be a solid start for a project. Hows the interior?
Old November 24th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Welcome to C.O. Did you realize you had "Blue dot" tail lights ?
Old November 24th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Welcome! I like it.
Old November 24th, 2022, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looks to be a solid start for a project. Hows the interior?
Not bad. Once I vacuum it, I will take some pics.
Old November 24th, 2022, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Welcome to C.O. Did you realize you had "Blue dot" tail lights ?
What are "Blue Dot" tail lights?
Old November 24th, 2022, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments!!!
Old November 24th, 2022, 11:00 PM

I had never seen them on the domed Oldsmobile tail lights before. It was believed to make a car visible in fog at night. Read the link below.
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...rom-the-30s-to
Old November 25th, 2022, 03:58 AM

Welcome, that's a nice one!!
Old November 25th, 2022, 09:20 AM

Welcome, from another 56 owner.
Rick
Old November 25th, 2022, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Welcome, that's a nice one!!
Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2022, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
Welcome, from another 56 owner.
Rick
If that's the one in your avatar she's a looker.

I wish mine was that color, when I repaint I'm stickin' with the stock colors, (my Lady friend put down her size 6 shoe).

Yours looks to be the Super 88 Holiday coupe. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!
Old November 26th, 2022, 08:35 AM
Frank Ignachuck

A belated Welcome! Very nice car. You'll find lots of help on this forum.
Old November 26th, 2022, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
A belated Welcome! Very nice car. You'll find lots of help on this forum.
Thanks... I've already found the forum very helpful reading threads of classic Olds owners and their projects!
Old September 7th, 2023, 08:11 AM

Hello again

It's been almost a year since I posted. I've been working on the old girl, (decided to call her "Lucile"). Replaced the fuel tank, (and associated sending unit, in tank filter et al). Replace the master, shoes and wheel cylinders, brake hard and rubber lines, two front drums, and new shoes. New core in the radiator, new battery, and lots of smaller things.

I'm gonna fire her up (prolly next week give or take). The only thing I've done wrong so far is using the smaller rear wheel hydraulic cylinders on the front, (not power), brakes, before I found a source for the correct larger cylinders. I will be careful when I take her around the block.

I'm gonna post a few questions a bit later in the classic section that have come up.

This forum is fantastic, as even though I haven't posted I've lurked and learned.
Old September 7th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Welcome again, sorry I missed your first post. Your Olds is bad@$$.
Old September 7th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Sounds like you are making progress. One friendly suggestion I will make is to stop using the blue on your messages. It is harder to read. Minor thing and no offense intended.
Old September 7th, 2023, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Welcome again, sorry I missed your first post. Your Olds is bad@$$.
Thanks
Old September 7th, 2023, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Sounds like you are making progress. One friendly suggestion I will make is to stop using the blue on your messages. It is harder to read. Minor thing and no offense intended.
Sorry to offend, that is the last thing I wanna do on this forum. That said: I've been posting under this screen name for over 15 years, always in blue type. Prolly because I'm an attention HO.

I will post in black and white per yer request.

Respectfully,

Murky
Old September 8th, 2023, 01:26 AM

Welcome aboard, I'm also a mid-fifties Old's guy but a 55. If I read correctly you have standard non-power brakes. You could throw a rebuild kit for cheap and save your self some money plus a bunch of time as Karps Power Brakes is one of the best but very slow and busy. You might be able to run a hone and re kit it and be done in a day. I also run 87 octane in my 55 with no ping but you do have a little higher compression in a 56 than in a 55, you might try a tank full and see if your car likes it... Lost in the fifties.. Tedd
Old September 8th, 2023, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard, I'm also a mid-fifties Old's guy but a 55. If I read correctly you have standard non-power brakes. You could throw a rebuild kit for cheap and save your self some money plus a bunch of time as Karps Power Brakes is one of the best but very slow and busy. You might be able to run a hone and re kit it and be done in a day. I also run 87 octane in my 55 with no ping but you do have a little higher compression in a 56 than in a 55, you might try a tank full and see if your car likes it... Lost in the fifties.. Tedd
Thanks Tedd,

You are one of the great posters on this forum who has taught me a lot, (as I've lurked and learned). Thanks again. BTW your 55' convertible is gorgeous, (as is the model in the pics)!!

I've already gone through the standard brakes and I will stick with what I've done. If the undersized front wheel cylinders cause me an issue, I will buy the larger cylinders and change them out.

I have 5 gallons of fresh pure dinosaur 87, (no alcohol), that I will try with some additive to compensate for the lack of lead. The guy I bought the car from claimed he ran on 87. I plan to flush the first few cups of gas, (in the brand new fuel tank I installed), through the fuel pump and hard lines, and then install a vintage Delco fuel filter I found on Ebay in the glass separation bowl.

I had hoped to fire her up and get her on the road this week, but: I've had to order some more electrical ignition parts as I've cleaned up and gone through all the old electrical contacts n' such. Hopefully: next week.

This base 2 door sedan Oldsmobile does have some unusual features. It has the 4 barrel Rochester 4jet carb, and the Jetaway transmission with "park". Hard to know if a previous owner swapped these, my guess is they are factory, (someone checked the upgrade boxes in 1956).

Thanks again for your very helpful posting here on this forum.

Respectfully,

Murky, (Jim).
Old September 8th, 2023, 07:43 AM

Mr Jim, You will find things like that especially if the car was ordered and not just bought off the show room floor. I have seen post cars with stainless rocker molding 4bbl carbs and other generally higher model upgrades, one doesn't know if these are a factory upgrade or just something that has been added in the last 60+ years unless you have a build sheet or window sticker. Enjoy your ride, looks like you are going all in. What are your ideas on paint or are you going rustic?
Old September 8th, 2023, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Mr Jim, You will find things like that especially if the car was ordered and not just bought off the show room floor. I have seen post cars with stainless rocker molding 4bbl carbs and other generally higher model upgrades, one doesn't know if these are a factory upgrade or just something that has been added in the last 60+ years unless you have a build sheet or window sticker. Enjoy your ride, looks like you are going all in. What are your ideas on paint or are you going rustic?
Hey Tedd,

I really don't like green, especially the shade of green on this car. The only exception for me, (and my Lady: "the real boss"), is dark "British racing green". Once I get her on the road, (and sort out any additional mechanical issues), I will carpet the cabin, (it has a green rubber mat that has fallen apart), replace the seat belts, replace the two door panels, replace the kick panels and package tray. The front bench seat needs attention, (likely new dark green vinyl on the bench part of the seat is the solution).

The hood will be brown primer once the rust patches are welded, and then two tone dark British racing green and either ivory or very light green hood and above body chrome. Similar to this 4 door example \/\/\/ except I'd pain the top dark green.