The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Colorado

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Hello from Colorado

Hello all,
I just got my first taste of a classic olds this summer. I just picked up a 1969 Olds Cutlass S Body. 350/th350, 12 bolt, Holiday Sport coupe is what I think the Vin decoded at.

Not sure what I have here. What is the deal with the "Holiday Sport Coupe" or the "S Body"?

This is the first classic olds that I have picked up. It will be my first classic olds to build. So far, these are part of the long list of cars I have put back on the road.

29 Ford Roadster
33 Chevy Sedan
Multiple tri-five chevies (55, 56, 57)
62 Impala Wagon, 4 speed, disk brake front
64 BelAir Wagon (daily driver)
67 Impala SS, fastback, power windows, A/C car
67 Mustang touring

How did I get this cutlass? well, I was in the process of building a LS1 engine for a 60's camaro or Chevelle. In my search for one of these cars I ran across an ad for this Cutlass that needed restored. After looking at the car and realizing the many similarities with the Chevelle (and the 12 Bolt in the rear), I picked it up and brought it home. The previous owner had purchased it for his kid hoping they could rebuild it together, but after the problems with the engine, they started bodywork, then back to the engine, the they started working the interior and it seemed they weren't getting anything accomplished, so they moved on to a new "project" and decided to let this one go.

So what do I know about the Cutlass? Nothing. So far we have pulled the engine because the previous owner removed the top end off of it and couldn't tell me much about it. Took apart the "300hp 350" to find .005 wear on the standard bore, standard stroke engine. Although I thought the engine was all original I found an Offenhauser Intake in the trunk. the machinist working on revitalizing the engine said it had never been apart. So I checked the speedo and found only 80k on the Odo! Is it possible I have an 80k diamond in the rough? I sure hope so.

We had to bore the engine out 0.020 to get rid of some scratches the broke rings had put in there, and we had to turn the crank 0.010 to make a nice mating surface for the bearings. We are also balancing the rotating assembly and installing hardened valve seats with new valves.

Performance wise I will be installing an Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam, Performer RPM Intake, Edelbrock 1407 (750), and 1 3/4" Ceramic Coated headers. Jegs claims they made 397Hp with this setup so I am going to test the theory on this new engine. I will also be installing an HEI in the process, modifying the advance weights, and hope to have a nice screamer when I am finished. Once I get it back on the road I will start the bodywork.

Most of the body looks pretty good but she will need some quarters. Im not sure where the car came from but where ever it was has a bad case of cancer. The fenders look fine but the tops of the rear wells and the back of the rear wells are gone. have to rebuild with the right metal. Besides the rear quarters everything else looks pretty good with the exception of the hood. Shes got some wiskey bumps on the front of the hood and is missing her tongue so I have some searching to do.

After the engines good, body work is good, done and painted, I will order a new interior for her. I am just going to re-wrap the interior back to stock, new headliner, new carpet. Luckily the door panels look great and the dash is in good condition.

Here are some pics. If you have any suggestions please feel free to share. I always want to learn more about the cars that I rebuild. Thanks!

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00589.jpg
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

In 1968 the Cutlass badge was expanded to include four doors and they called the baseline Cutlass four door just that with a longer wheelbase while the 2 door baseline coupe was called the 'S'. Holiday was a termed used throughout Oldsmobile's history a number of times, I am not sure if it was used in '69 though. Welcome to CO. Nice project.
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Oh, the poor old girl. I'm glad you saved her and she will be beautiful again one day!
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Welcome to the site, and the world of Oldsmoble! Congrats on your new purchase. There's a number of members that have 1969's so as questions arise post them! I would strongly encourage you to purchase a Chassis Service Manual. As you spend time dismantling and reassembling the car this can be a huge help. There are some other references that are good, but I'd consider this one for sure. Here's an example of one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item27b74abf06

John
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Ya got the right year.

Looks like your missing a hood tooth. FYI. Just leave it off til you're finished, That way you won't be calling 911 everytime ya back out of the engine compartment. Please don't ask how I know this.
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Welcome to CO with your Diamond in the rough!
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Welcome to CO

Nice project car. I look foreword to watching your build thread
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM

I am new here also and it looks like a great source of info and parts can be found here. Good Luck . I cant wait to see what you do with it.
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Welcome , nice car. That 397 HP package you are looking at has been discussed on here. One of the guys did it and was disappointed with it. Do a search for those terms and you may find what I was talking about. I think if you have the right compression you will be happy with it.
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM

thanks for the warm welcomes. I will be moving some of this thread to the build thread as I have some updates as of friday.

Thanks again, see you all around.
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Kjr442

Welcome to CO.