The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Australia

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Hello from Australia

Hi,

I guess Im the guilty one who has been posting in the wrong section, sorry. Im gonna get it right from now on. So here is a little about me.

My name is Michael and I have 3 1960 Oldsmobile 98's. My first in white with aqua interior, good driver. My second sedan is all original with 20k on the clock with green interior, its like it just rolled out of the showroom. Lastly, I just got a Coupe. red roof, red interior.

I definatley have the bug for this model car. I hope to find a 1960 Oldsmobile 98 convertible at the right price one day soon to finish of the collection.

...and yes, these cars have made it to Australia except for the Coupe which will be shipped later this year hopefully with a convertible :-)

I wish !!

I find myself spending my days looking for 98 parts on ebay or anywhere else. Im addicted. Im sure there are many out there the same way !!

Mchael
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Michael. Hope you find your convertible.
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Hi welcome to the site. Good luck.
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! Yep... we are all addicted, LOL!!
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Registered

Welcome to here.
Why don't you just fly over and drive that boat back, you could tow one too.
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Talking Welocme to CO

Yep you've got it bad. This is the Oldsmobile fanatic support group, we are here to help you.
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Welcome, the only cure is more Olds purchases!
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you decided to join us.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM

belgium 57 olds

hello michael ,

welcome to the CO 60's are graet cars i one's ownd a 60 ' 88 coupe'

fantastic car to drive , i sold the car to make place for another 57' olds

belgium greetz

marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scannen0007.jpg (83.7 KB, 13 views)
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Yet again I am overwhelmed with the responce and warm welcome.

Thankyou all !!
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Don't forget about the neat '60 Olds Fiesta station wagons! Henry
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

Michael,

Welcome to the site. Yep, you're in the right place if you have an Olds addiction!
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
...should get a life....

G'day Michael.
Few of us Olds fans & addicts down here.
Perth, Melbourne, Sydney & now a Novacastrian.
Welcome aboard. Handy that there's a company that ships direct from LA to Newcastle. The guys on this site will let you know what's what & where to get stuff.
There are people from all over the world on Classic Oldsmobile. It's the most international car forum I've seen. States, Canada, Europe, Scandinavia, Asia, New Zealand & Oz....maybe other places. And if you send Bluevista up the airfare he'll come down and detail your engine Bay for $1,500
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Welcome aboard michael.
Hey col and michael when mine arrives we will have to have a aussie olds reunion , take lots of pics and post them up here, est date of arrival 7th may, can't wait evilone.gif
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by rocketdownunder
Welcome aboard michael.
Hey col and michael when mine arrives we will have to have a aussie olds reunion , take lots of pics and post them up here, est date of arrival 7th may, can't wait
17 days & counting Chris. Is that when it lands or when you get it?
Could be a few days clearing Customs & quarantine.
Gotta find that guy who showed up at Penrith in the 68 442 as well. Shame I missed him. The chap with the Vista (John I think) is from Bargo so not too far away.
Soon as you get it you know where to come for a cruise eh?
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
17 days & counting Chris. Is that when it lands or when you get it?
Could be a few days clearing Customs & quarantine.
Gotta find that guy who showed up at Penrith in the 68 442 as well. Shame I missed him. The chap with the Vista (John I think) is from Bargo so not too far away.
Soon as you get it you know where to come for a cruise eh?
Yep thats when it lands so if it all goes smooth with customs may be a few days after that, then it has to go for a blue slip, etc
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:33 PM

Hi'Hate to change the subject,but I've seen movies made in Australia(Mad max and Chopper) and they had some pretty nice muscle cars I'd never seen before can you tell me where there made and what they are?
railguy
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:31 PM
...should get a life....

Those were the days....Aussie Muscle

We had a few.

Ford Falcon GTHO Phase 3

Valiant Charger R/T

Holden Torana SLR 5000

GTHO Phase 4

Walkinshaw Commodore

Holden Torana XU1

Holden Monaro HG

Last edited by Col Wickham; April 21st, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Forgot one...
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:40 AM
Registered

You sure don't have very big muscles down south-south.

Sparedoor musclecars?
That silver thing looks like Transformer car, does it turn into a real musclecar??
The rest all look like Furd Maveruck Grabbers to me.

I'm sure they're fast and all that but now I can see why you import Oldsmobiles.
No big demand to import those to here, although they may be good for rural mail delivery being that the steering wheels are all on the wrong side.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
...should get a life....

Yep.... I've never been a fan of our own automobiles. Spent my youth with pictures of US Mopar Pro Stockers all over the walls.
That said, the "sparedoor" car was the fastest 4 door sedan in the world when it was built. And the Valiant could beat it down a quarter mile with it's 6 cylinder engine and 3 speed box.
The transformer car is ugly but has become a very desirable collector piece. Friend of mine had one stolen a while back. Thieves actually broke into and moved 2 other cars just to get to it.
We never did anything with big blocks down here. Fuel too pricey. But our small block muscle cars and the hot sixes were pretty quick.
One thing all our muscle cars had in common though....they could go round corners in either direction. Didn't have to be banked left handers. They were built for circuit racing and they could stop too (except the Valiant with it's Mopar brakes).
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM

I still like them. Probably because they aren't common,'over here anyway'.I guess thats why I drive an Omega.One thing I would positively hate to see is something I see all the time and thats 2 cars exact same make, exact same model,exact same year,exact same color parked right beside each other.Man that would suck!Would like to see more pics or if you could direct me to a website.Also How much is a "gallon" of 93 octane?How much is a cheeseburger."I aways use the cost of a cheeseburger to evaluate the worth of money". Plus it sounds funny.
G'Day from"up here on top of the world"
Railguy
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bourbon454
Hi,

I definatley have the bug for this model car. I hope to find a 1960 Oldsmobile 98 convertible at the right price one day soon to finish of the collection.

Hi, Michael!

Glad you're one of the gang, now!

You sure picked a great car and year to collect I didn't have a '60 98 but I did have a 98 LS or Regency every odd numbered year for 22 years. I never had a convertible 98, though.

I now have my Olds convertible!

Welcome aboard.

--Don
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:36 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Railguy
I still like them. Probably because they aren't common,'over here anyway'.I guess thats why I drive an Omega.One thing I would positively hate to see is something I see all the time and thats 2 cars exact same make, exact same model,exact same year,exact same color parked right beside each other.Man that would suck!Would like to see more pics or if you could direct me to a website.Also How much is a "gallon" of 93 octane?How much is a cheeseburger."I aways use the cost of a cheeseburger to evaluate the worth of money". Plus it sounds funny.
Railguy
I paid around $1.44 a litre for 98 octane this morning.
Don't ask me to convert that to US gallons then apply the US$/Aus$ exchange rate.
Same for the cheeseburger. I can tell you that I paid $7.30 this morning for hotcakes, a hash-brown & a cuppacino while out cruising in the Olds.
The Aussie McDonalds menu & prices in googleable, as are Aussie Muscle Car sites. I don't have any saved....only US classic car sites.
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Yep.... I've never been a fan of our own automobiles. Spent my youth with pictures of US Mopar Pro Stockers all over the walls.
That said, the "sparedoor" car was the fastest 4 door sedan in the world when it was built. And the Valiant could beat it down a quarter mile with it's 6 cylinder engine and 3 speed box.
The transformer car is ugly but has become a very desirable collector piece. Friend of mine had one stolen a while back. Thieves actually broke into and moved 2 other cars just to get to it.
We never did anything with big blocks down here. Fuel too pricey. But our small block muscle cars and the hot sixes were pretty quick.
One thing all our muscle cars had in common though....they could go round corners in either direction. Didn't have to be banked left handers. They were built for circuit racing and they could stop too (except the Valiant with it's Mopar brakes).
Im with you Col, not too big a fan of our own stuff down under. Thank the Lord for US Muscle !! I bet he was watching over Michigan back in the days...
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
Railguy
Well, I do fall into that catagory just a little. I did want the Olds the same as I am planning to use them as Wedding cars. All white, allthough interiors are different. Cheeseburger is 2 bucks and still tastes like crap just like the one I ate in LA and New Zealand. Years ago there was a greater divide in value but the world market is catching up. Our dollar is nearing equal, a few years back it was half. I love the USA, I visit KY regularly. Michael
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:32 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Don't ask me to convert that to US gallons then apply the US$/Aus$ exchange rate.
Same for the cheeseburger. I can tell you that I paid $7.30 this morning for hotcakes, a hash-brown & a cuppacino while out cruising in the Olds.
The Aussie McDonalds menu & prices in googleable, as are Aussie Muscle Car sites. I don't have any saved....only US classic car sites.
Well 1 gallon is around 3.8 litres so for 98 octain its around $5.47aus at todays rate is $5.07us per gallon ,but prices do fluctuate here alot , i paid for E10 the other day $1.16 per litre ($4.07us gallon) as for cheeseburger , not a mcdonalds fan but love my burgerking i paid 5.95aus for a whopper burger, yum yum
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Cutlass Lover

Our gas in the city where I live is down to $2.66 per gal. this morning, that's the cheapest grade, I think 89 octane? I filled the Intrigue for $2.68/gal. Saturday. It has been up around $2.79/gal. the last few weeks. I don't know how much the higher octane is.

You can get a McDonalds cheeseburger for a dollar on the value menu.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
...should get a life....

Sandy,..you'd be better off putting that dollar towards buying better fuel. Even our lawnmowers don't run on 89 octane
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Wink Fuel

Sandy,..you'd be better off putting that dollar towards buying better fuel. Even our lawnmowers don't run on 89 octane

I think the octane rating is figured differently in the US than in AUS!

--Don
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cutlass Lover

Colonel..... She runs just fine on the cheap stuff!!
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Ddbord

I think the octane rating is figured differently in the US than in AUS!

--Don
You could be right. I just googled Fuel Octane Levels and there's two methods of determining the number, ie the "RON" method & "MON" method.
It turns out that 98(RON) is equivalent to 89(MON).

So Sandy is putting the good stuff in her car AND getting cheap cheeseburgers
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

USA Octane Ratings!

[quote=Col Wickham;170532]You could be right. I just googled Fuel Octane Levels and there's two methods of determining the number, ie the "RON" method & "MON" method.
It turns out that 98(RON) is equivalent to 89(MON).

RON is "Research Octane" and MON is"Motor Octane."

In the States the formula for fuel octane is R+M/2.
So, if you take the 98RON+89MON /2 the US octane would be 93.5 octane. I put 20 gallons of 93 octane in my B body Olds for $55.98. $2.799US per gallon. A little CD-2 lead substitute, and NO PING in my 5.4L!

Whether it's fuel, gas, petrol, or whatever, it's pretty expensive! Happy cruisin'.......

--Don

P.S. I had a BurgerKing Whopper Jr. the other day. $1.29! I think that here in South Carolina we have the second lowest fuel prices in the USA. Oklahoma is the lowest!

Last edited by Ddbord; April 29th, 2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Michael: Welcome to CO! Glad to have you aboard.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Hey Col!

I paid 1.44 EUROS/liter (1.44 X 1.34!) here in Germany yesterday! So I don't feel all that sorry for you!

Ralph

Last edited by German442; May 4th, 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by German442
Hey Col!

I paid 1.44 EUROS/liter (1.44 X 1.34!) here in Germany yesterday! So I don't feel all that sorry for you!

Ralph
That's pretty steep Ralph...approx $1.93ltr. We were up there a while back but the price dropped. I was paying $2 ltr for diesel. Cost me $100 to fill the VW Golf one morning. I cannot understand the fluctuation in fuel pricing. If they did they it to bread, milk, pharmaceuticals & BEER there'd be strife on a global scale. But they get away with it.
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Yeah, the oil price is subject to so many variables, among them:

For those outside the US, the exchange rate (anybody see what the Euro is doing lately?)
good old fashioned supply & demand- wonder what the oil spill's going to do to prices? Not good, for sure!
Time of year (historically, the winter months in the northern hemisphere are higher demand, so prices go up because of high demand for fuel oil).

Anybody for more?

Ralph
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM

G-day Bourbon 454.

I have just joined as well. I'm in Maitland just down the road and have just got my 1959 98 Holiday coupe. Hope to catch up. 0428827109. Regards John.