The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello another newbie to this cool Olds forum

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM

Hello another newbie to this cool Olds forum

Hey all checking in new here but not to the love for Oldsmobile's. I've owned quite a few over the years & still own my first car which I purchased even before I had a license to drive it a 72 Olds 442 Holiday Coupe. I included a couple recent pics of it first is with its original rallye II & the second is a most recent change to a set of 14x7 stock rims with dog dish caps still trying to get used to it with those on it. Let me know what you think about the change. Anyway my name is Chris & live in Southern Mass & looking forward to getting to know folks on here thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002.jpg (81.1 KB, 77 views)
003.jpg (82.2 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by OldsmanX3; March 22nd, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:47 PM

Like the rally's best. Welcome to the forum.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:06 AM

Very nice car. I agree about the rally wheels looking better. What was the reason for changing to the stock rims? Obviously, one reason would be to go back to a more stock look. Is that the reason?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:43 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I think that makes 2 new Chris's in one day.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM

Welcome to CO from the Left Coast

Chris, nice 72. Enjoy your stay here it's a great place
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM

Welcome, both look good, though if equipped with dog dish from the factory, then the rims would match the body color.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks Guys, I'm partial to the rallye's also they are the original wheels to the car. I bought the 14X7's because I couldnt turn down the deal those are tuff wheels to come by. The dog dish caps were new take off's found at a going out of business Olds dealer a few years back. I just recently purchased tires to put on the rims after having them hanging around the garage for the last 2 years. I finally put them all together just to change up the look on the car. I also have a set of 15'' 87 442 chrome rims that I put on it from time to time again just to change things up a bit. I painted the rims White to go with the White top & stripes. Actually got the idea from a Musclecar review mag of an experimental 70 W-31 Cutlass that the owner of Inline Tube did he painted the rims Blue to match the stripes the car itself is White I thought it looked great with the Blue rims & differant rather than usual body color match.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Welcome to the site Chris! How many years have you owned your car? Was it in nice condition when you bought it or have you restored it? I'm partial to the rallys but agree with you 14X7's steel wheels are hard to come by. I ran 15X7 steel wheels with dog dish caps on my 1971 Cutlass wagon for a while.
John
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks John, Ive had my 442 since Sept of 1980 bought from my cousin who bought it new in Dec of 71. He drove it year round through New England winters so it did suffer from some minor rust issues as most New England cars do. I did a half a$$ resto & had it painted once when I was still in High School. Then couple years later I got into a minor accident with it & started buying parts for it with the ins. money I got. If you look at the pics the car sports nos GM frt fenders (reason for the dull finish & no 442#'s on the fenders) that I put on the car back in the very early 90s. It does have alot more nos parts on it than just the fenders bought lots of parts back when the stuff was still available through GM. I had a local Olds dealer in the town I grew up in & spent lots of time & money their when I could. The car has been garaged for as long as I've owned it so any of new parts I've put on it over the years have stayed in new condition but it does need to be painted again someday just not sure when that maybe. I guess it will be when I afford to part with the ca$h which is tough to do in todays economy if you know what I mean. Plus its not the only Olds I own hence the X3 part of my user name more pics of other Olds projects to come.

Last edited by OldsmanX3; March 25th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and I am swimming against the stream here but I like the steel wheels with the hub caps. To me it makes the car stand out from the crowd a little.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Tony

welcome Chris Im new also ,nice car hard to git rid of those first cars
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks Guys for the nice welcome, I agree Oldsguy the wheels with the dog dish caps makes it stand out I also like the fact that I painted the wheels White instead of Black it really does look good in person better than the photos represent. Welcome to this great site archeryshooter yes you never if at all possible let your first car go. I almost sold this car back in the mid 80's to buy another 442 a 71 but my dad talked me out of it because I couldn't afford to have 2 of them at that time I'm glad I listened to him. Now a days its a differant story & with that said I'll be posting some pics of my latest addition to my group of Oldsmobiles in a little while. I just got it home today thanks Chris.
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I really dig the look of the steel wheels with dog dish,and the white paint to go along with the roof and stripes looks great!

SS1's would look good on there also

Last edited by w-30dreamin; March 28th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks w-30dreamin, I almost did a set of SS 1's before I got my hands on the plain 14X7's now with 3 sets of different wheels for the car I gotta draw the line runnin out of room to store the extra sets of tires & wheels..Now want to share a couple pic's of what I just picked up today needs lots of attension but when you find certain cars especially in your own neck of the woods & its actually affordable its hard to pass up so here's couple pic's of it. There will be more to come as things get cleaned up & put back together it currently doesnt run the motor is out of it & apart but it complete & it all came with the car. The only things missing from the car are the frt & rear bumpers so if any one in this great site has any for sale please let me know & I know they used chrome on them to sell them years ago but looking for original Yellow urathane painted bumpers. This is the second one of these I've owned & its almost the twin to a Rallye I had years ago. Any questions let me know thanks.
Attached Images
001.jpg (96.3 KB, 20 views)
002.jpg (69.4 KB, 21 views)
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Tony

wow looks like a solid car you dont find them around here like that to often
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:24 PM

No wish it was does have rust issues quarters have been fixed & its starting to rot through again the pass side is the better of the 2 sides. The r/f fender been replaced so its solid the left fender is rotted at the bottom. The floor has issues though not horrible they need work believe it or not the frt floor pans are better than the rears the rears have been patched the trunk pan is solid atleast has that going for it HAAA. I bought it because it has all its goodies hood, rear wing, complete original ram air air cleaner, 4 spoke steering wheel, It would make a great parts car for a good solid body doner. Not sure at the momment what i'm going to do with it but the potential is there.
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Tony

Well it looks alot better than mine did when I started but I guess it depends how much time and $ a guy wants to put into it. It is nice to see one saved though but I guess it lives on eather way
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Rally II, nice. Welcome.
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks Oldwolf for the welcome, Well couple more pics of my other 72 Olds 442 its a 350 4spd, Haven't driven it yet it was just a rolling body when I bought it. Found a decent running 70 350 4spd motor for it a year ago from a Rallye 350 that was being parted out & did a complete gasket reseal, timing chain & oil pump now it should be ready to install this spring had a M-21 from a Cutlass Supreme that was parted a while back as soon as the weather warms up a bit going drop it in & see how it goes. Heres a couple pics of it & the rest of the back yard stable.
Attached Images
001.jpg (83.2 KB, 10 views)
002.jpg (81.4 KB, 11 views)