The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello all

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Hello all

Hi everyone, my name is Keith. I am from the central Wisconsin area, and I am new to this site. I have always owned cutlasses. My first being a 74 then a 76 a 78-79 two 84s, and the one I own now is a 68 convertible. It has been a child hood dream to have a 68 cutlass. I have had the car since 2001, in storage,and now it is in the start faze of a full frame off restoration. This car was built in lancing Michigan, 2nd week in July, in burgundy, with a white top and red interior. It was shipped to Jim Danca Oldsmobile in Crystal Lake IL and sold on 9/10/68. Some how it wound up in Wausau wis. And I do believe I am 3rd or 4th person to own it.
My hobbies are playing guitar, drawing, and looking on line for olds history, and old factory assembly line pics. My wife, and I like to camp, and for the third year now, we have camped at the Jefferson, spring, car show, in Jefferson wis. We also hit the Iola car show, but haven’t camped there yet. I love hitting the swap meets for parts. Over the years the 68 took on some rear, driver, side, damage from previous owner that would require a full quarter. I was able to find a guy who was parting out a 68 convertible, and he cut what I needed and shipped it to me. Finding a S hood was a challenge. Since the one on it was gone and replaced with a plain cutlass hood. I might post the progress and pics in the major builds, and project forum. I have no dead line for this project. Honestly I am not doing my own body work. The shell is getting done by a person ,who I met at a car show. He has done other cars including his own. And I was impressed with his work. The shell should be done this spring. I have so much to do yet. I am hopping to make friends here, and get advice on the things that may trip me up along the way. It’s a long way to the finish line for me, and it can be somewhat overwhelming. Some of you are glade to have allot of the work behind you, and it is great to see the progress all of you have made here on this site. Thanks for reading my thread.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Welcome to the forum! So now you are down to just the one Cutlass?

You may want to watch and learn from your friend doing the body work on your car. As everybody knows, you will probably be getting another Oldsmobile to add to your collection. Then you can use those skills you learned.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Randy C.

Welcome aboard from another '68 convertible owner! I believe you will like this site. If you have any questions during your restoration process, this is the place to ask them. I restored my '68 from 2005 to 2007 and this site was invaluable to me in obtaining the answers I needed to make my car the way I wanted it. Great people here. Enjoy!

Randy C.
'68 4-4-2 convertible (restored 2007)
'69 4-4-2 convertible (work in progress since 1987!)
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Welcome!
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site! Hope you like it and stick around to let us know your progress. Pics are allways welcome, I have know doubt that these folks can help you along the way.

I like the fact you allready know about your cars history and lineage and you are taking your time..

Its a good idea not to have a deadline with your finished project..that will only help in making it what you want it to be. I bet its nice to have your wife show interest in the hobby too. You guys enjoy the ride.

I likes a little guitar too..
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Welcome to CO, 68GloryDays! Yep, you're gonna' like it here. Plenty of answers for the questions that WILL come up in your restoration process! I have an affection for those '68's, also, for some reason. And to top everything off, I play some guitar, too (sing a little bit, also). Maybe, between all of us that do play, can form a CO Cover Band! LOL!
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard 68GloryDays. We are definitely waiting on your build thread and pics.

Scot
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Thanks for welcoming me aboard. Yes I do have just the one cutlass, but also have a 66 Pontiac tempest that I bought 20 years ago. It is a Colorado car that also is stored in my garage. It needs to be restored also. It is rust free except the trunk, and does have minor dings and some body work to deal with. I should have restored it first but decided to do the cutlass first. I wanted to get the worst of the two out of the way first.
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:43 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Welcome to CO. It's always good to see another Cutlass ragtop. Post some pics!
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the restore!