The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello All

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Hello All

Hello fellow classic oldsmobile enthusiasts. I am new to this site and fairly new to classic cars. My entire life I have always love oldsmobiles, grew up in an olds family. I learned to drive on a 95 Aurora (loved that car) and when I was 16 despite my begging to my father to let me buy an old car to work on he bought me a 2001 Alero. I am 22 now and still drive that Alero (it has been good to me). However back in november while searching on craigslist I came across a 1967 delta 88 holiday coupe custom that i fell in love with. Called the seller up, took it for a spin, and a day later it was sitting in my garage. I drove the delta all winter long (freezing my butt off as there is no heat) and it was GREAT!! A few weeks ago thogh after not having driven it in about a month I went to take it out only to discover that the carb float bowl was bone dry. So I consulted the service manual (my grandfather had given me olds service manuals for 1967, what luck) and preformed a few tests. Disconnected the fuel lines before the carb and cranked the engine, no fuel getting through. So i replaced the fuel pump. That didnt work either. The next thing i did was blow air through the lines, both main and return, both were clear. Now I am at a loss, the only other thing i can think of is that there is something blocking the outlet in the fuel tank, but I have a half tank of gas in it and have been unsuccesful at syphoning the gasoline out. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Summer is almost half over and i havent gotten to cruise in my delta yet. I look forward to reading and writing posts on this site and learning all i can about classic olds from the other members here. Thank You
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Make sure there is really gas in the tank and that your dash reading is not misleading you......check rubber lines at gas tank. Possibly a split line there and pump is sucking air. There is a filter sock on pickup inside tank that could be blocked. You could fill the carb with gas from a small squeeze bottle thru the carb vent and see if engine dies are continues to run.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Ok, thank you for the ideas. I just got done removing the fuel tank and empying it of the gas. Gonna check the rubber hoses and the outlet like you said. Thanks again
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Past Administrator

You could attach a flexible hose from the rigid line going to the tank and put it in a jerry can or whatever you keep fuel for you lawnmower in. Fill it up with fresh fuel and see if it primes the pump and starts the car that way. Welcome to CO.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM
67 heavy metal

car trouble

I hope you get that figured out it's not as much fun when you have troubles.I would gess from what you described your car is a two door.That is a nice car and two doors I am told are worth more money.I own a cousin to your car if you will.I have a 1967 olds delmont 88 4 door sedan and it is fun to drive and show.The delmont delta and the 98 had simiarities at least in the front end.I usally have to pump it a few times to get it started if it sat for awile say weeks but one or two pumps and she runs,sometimes less.I hope you find that leak or fuel problem,and good luck to you
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah it is a two door. I got the fuel tank removed and tried sticking the fuel hose into just a regular gas can, and still nothing. I am at a total loss now, as this rules out the possibility that the outlet on the fuel tank was clogged. None of the rubber hoses appear to be cracked (not leaking fuel anywhere) but I think I am going to replace them just for the heck of it. On a side note, how do you get into your profile so i can upload a picture of the car?
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Couple of things, take the outlet line from the carb and add a length of hose to it and stick it in a jerry can crank over the car to make sure the fuel pump is working (I have had bad fuel pumps right out of the box before) if the tank is still out of the car use a jerry can at both ends.

Does the carb have an inlet filter, if it does i have had those clog before, also check the float inlet is the check valve sticking, I have had this happen before as well
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by 67oldsdelta88
Yeah it is a two door. I got the fuel tank removed and tried sticking the fuel hose into just a regular gas can, and still nothing. I am at a total loss now, as this rules out the possibility that the outlet on the fuel tank was clogged. None of the rubber hoses appear to be cracked (not leaking fuel anywhere) but I think I am going to replace them just for the heck of it. On a side note, how do you get into your profile so i can upload a picture of the car?
I had to post 5 times to get in to the profile section it is a security thing to keep out bots or whatever they call them but you can post pics in here as you type a message there is a paperclip symble at the top next to the face click that and you can upload a pic from your computer the second way is if you have one online when you roll your mouse over it you will see the words insert image.but as said you should check your carb filter I have had my share of problems with those filters especialy if you have any junk or rust in your tank

Last edited by delmontcrusier; June 30th, 2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo