The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Greetings to all Olds Enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2016, 06:00 AM

Greetings to all Olds Enthusiasts

Some of you will recognize me from 9 years on the 73-77olds forum.
Our little corner of the Olds world on the web dedicated to the Colonnade style from that era. Before that it was the OCC board and yes, I am old, it was the mailing list from the back of the OCA magazine.

Many friends I know are active on this forum, starting in 1991 when I purchased my 1st car 3 days out of high school. It's been a life long passion this car, many miles, roads, friends & family.
Memories of everyone who has been along for the journey. Lots of people have come and gone over the years, yet the hobby has remained a constant of good people, awesome cars and education that never stops.

In recent years I have noticed a change in the culture of Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
More people who love the brand have more respect for one another's cars unlike years ago. For that in itself should remind people to be humble and enjoy it all.
If the cars are still here, the owners are working on them, enjoying the process of owning, restoring, driving, fixing, showing, or sitting on them, just enjoy the cars for what they are from a incredible brand.

Glad to join the community and look around get acclimated.

My IPad will only let 1 attachment stick for some reason.
I will go to my laptop later post a few.
Links on my sig show video walk around last month & another build sheet page.
Some from a few years back after a restoration of the body, interior, freshening of mechanicals.

Look forward to enjoying this site & all the Oldsmobiles
Be well
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (18.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Firethorne77; April 3rd, 2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 06:14 AM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome to CO,
Its good to have you here Pete, I know you have alot to offer us guys here with your 73-77 Oldsmobile colonnade experience. Just in my short time on the 73-77 site, I know you have so much knowledge to offer from viewing your past posts over ther.

Eric
Old April 3rd, 2016, 06:41 AM

Welcome.

Really nice looking car. Someone hasnt been saving money either when crossing option-list.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Welcome, it seems that the 73-77 models are gaining more traction. I see it as a good trend and its nice to have more experience represent them on this site.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:34 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome... Nice write up, most Oldsmobile Enthusiasts feel the same as you.. Own them, fix them, and most of all enjoy them...
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:37 AM

Some more pics .. got to dig some out.. Thanks for the replies.
There are a lot of guys on this forum who have a ton of experience in the colonnade realm, so maybe I can help a bit here too.
Enjoy the day, ITS SNOWING HERE 4/4/16!!

Old April 4th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Some more pics ... That should do for now..
Damn snow, had the car out on March 19th, been parked since, salting today!!!!!

GROCERY SHOPPING.. Fun on SUNDAYS!!

Old April 4th, 2016, 01:17 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

That's a really nice Colonade. Glad to have you here with your knowledge and experience.
Old April 4th, 2016, 02:31 PM

Hey Pete,
Welcome aboard ! Thought I recognized your handle from the old 73-77 forums.

Great looking car! How did you get the interior looking so new? I haven't found much reproduction interior plastic pieces outside the seat back.. And that wasn't available in white...

Also what is that neat guage by the mirror on the door?

Last edited by 442fanatic; April 4th, 2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Hookers under Hood

I was actually eyeballin that gauge up myself after the pics were posted.
Pete please tell where you got it and how it mounts.

Eric
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:13 PM

Guys-

The interior I had done , seats recovered, lost the original insignia on each front seat headrest, but gained leather vs. vinyl.
The white plastic has stayed ok, some pieces I replaced and dyed with SEM. Due to get the arm rests done again, fading a little, but the bright white is a pain in the ***, but wouldn't change it ever.
----------

That's a exterior thermometer. Was a optional dealer item back in the day.
Bought one NOS in 2011. The bracket mounts with two screws and a pop rivet holds the gauge to the bracket.
These were $5-$20 parts new. Early versions were the black dial like this one, later ones in the mid to late 70's were a white dial back face for the thermometer.
Gary C. helped me with the mounting template years back as the paper templates for the model lines I had with the one I got did not have the proper measurements.
I can dig out those if someone needs it for a 73-77 Cutlass.

These are a pain in the *** to find new.

One just ended last week on EBay. Not sold for $295

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262352940452...452%26_rdc%3D1

I spent $280 back in 2011. Just wanted it so bad for so long, didn't care , so it was my only upgrade I decided on back then.

Last edited by Firethorne77; April 4th, 2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Hey Pete, welcome! When I first saw your car on the '73-'77 Olds forum years ago, it was a very nice cutlass....it's still one the nicest '77's out there.

Glad to see you here sharing your presence, knowledge, experience(s), and photos on C/O as well. As Eric (Oldcutlass) mentioned, Our cars ('73-'77) are gaining some traction and the Colonnade crowd on this forum is starting to grow too. This is exciting, to say the least.

You are correct on the thermometer, they are hard to locate and very pricey, no matter which dial color you find. I'll also add, the correct "era specific" dial color has been debated over the years so take it for what it's worth and enjoy whichever one you may have or find for your application. They're definitely a cool conversation piece, no doubt.

Again buddy, awesome car and good to have you here, Pete.
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Kelvin- I appreciate the kind words very much. You and I have talked cars & family for years and it's great to have friendships last.
Our colonnade crowd is big across the country yet guys are spread out on FB & other places and I think our little corner of the world should be shared here on ClassicOlds.
When we think of the total production run of the 73-77 colonnade's , hundreds of thousands were sold, thus many many people owned them and are fans of these cars.
40 years ago this summer, Olds began the final year of production on these cars.
That's a long time and the new trends point to skipping the malaise era cars and growing the '80s classics, yet those too were horrifically underpowered.... Anyhow...
What I am getting at, is we keep the torch burning for these cars ...and here on this site makes sense to show the passion people have for them.

They are a pain in the *** to find parts for.. I hope the aftermarket can begin to wake up and help preserve them.

Enough babble.. That's what we do Kelvin... Keep it burning... The flame... For Oldsmobile
Old April 8th, 2016, 07:29 PM

Welcome to CO Firethorne77. As a person who is late to this car-culture party, I can definitely say.... it's always great to have experience on hand. I occasionally have a rookie question and this site is my go-to place for answers.
Your Olds looks sharp, congrats!
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:42 PM

Pete - You're welcome! Yes, we have been at this Family, Friendship, and Olds stuff for a while now and there's no end in sight.

No kidding on locating parts for these cars! It can be a PITA depending on what part is needed. The parts are out there but just know, patience is in order when dealing with this generation of cars.

Hopefully with the '73-'77's gaining traction as of late, the demand will cause a riff in the restoration market and cause an increase in parts availability.