The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

FNG from Co Springs

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2020, 09:23 PM

FNG from Co Springs

So here's my project, a 1969 Olds 98 that's been in our family since new. Dad picked it up at a dealership in Detroit and drove it back down to Shaw AFB in SC. Sadly, it's been parked here (SC) since 1993 although it is now (as of Aug '19) parked near the driveway on a graveled surface and is up on four tires. It did run/drive back then although when power was put to her last week nothing happened. No lights, no nothing. The culprit might be the horn relay so that's getting cleaned/tested. Hopefully it'll get trailered here to CO this summer and into drier weather where it can also be tinkered with i.e. battery cables, fuses, fusible link, etc. Looks like I get to learn how to MIG weld too as there's a few holes in the trunk and front floors. Of course it's got a Rocket 455 in it and as far as I know a Turbo 400.
Glad this site is here!
Jerry Oney
Colorado Springs

Old January 27th, 2020, 09:39 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome Jerry ,
Come and join the " Darksiders " on this thread ;

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-unite-83695/
Old January 27th, 2020, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice project.
Old January 28th, 2020, 08:30 AM

Hi Darksider #1 -- ok! Thanks for the vector!
Jerry
Old January 28th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... One stop info shopping available here for the asking... Good luck with your project...
Old January 28th, 2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by One-y
when power was put to her last week nothing happened. No lights, no nothing. The culprit might be the horn relay so that's getting cleaned/tested.
I would be very surprised if the only reason you're not getting any electrical response is the horn relay. There's probably 20 other wiring problems you haven't found yet. After sitting outside for 27 years, this car has to have been home to several generations of all kinds of critters, and undoubtedly some of them feasted on the wiring in various places.

From those photos, it's going to take A LOT to get this car roadworthy again. The family connection is what makes it worth it. Good luck.
Old January 28th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Bfg

It’s got a lot of Patina!
Old January 30th, 2020, 04:35 AM

Welcome to the site! A huge project for sure. Though it is maybe worth it with the family ties...One bit of advice if I may. Do the cheap things first, things that take your labor but not your cash. Then if you see it is too much or not worth the amount of cash needed to restore it you can re-evaluate. I can't tell you how many projects we've seen on here and other sites where someone orders stuff and spends big bucks on a pile of parts and then gives up, attempting to sell not only the carcass of the rust bucket and all the parts for pennies on the dollar. Good luck with it, and keep us posted!
Old January 30th, 2020, 05:01 AM

Hey Guys -- great words all and I will certainly heed them. It's nice to hear from those that have been there/done that!