The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First Olds & Project Car

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM

First Olds & Project Car

Hey Everyone,
I've been on CO for a while asking for information and help and have learned a lot from all of you. I just bought my first Oldsmobile and it is also my first project car. I will enjoy fixing this car up and getting it back to at least original if not show condition. I have attached some pictures of the car, you will for sure notice there are some things I need to fix/replace.
- The heads are 'J' type, my first priority is to find the correct 'E' heads. If anyone can let me know where to get these, I would be grateful.
- The rear bumper was replaced with a '72 for some reason. I am going to buy a new one from Tamrazs.
- The front bumper, hood, and front quarters all need to be straightened out, the bumper rams into the hood tooth.
- The interior is in rough shape, much to replace there.
- I definitely have a TH400 trans, but the tag is so worn I do not know what series it is. I was able to read the SN at the bottom, but not much else. See the pic.
- There are small holes in the floor pans, I believe these can be patched. I will see when I start removing rust.
- The original fan was replaced by some homemade junk, the original fan did come with the car.

The car runs and drives, and it has the correct 455 block. It is a true 344 VIN car, but has been messed with too much. I want to fix it up properly.

I plan to start taking apart the front end of the car and straightening out what I can. Then I will get out the drivetrain and get that fixed up right. I do appreciate all tips / pointers from you guys who know your 442's.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
forum pic 2.jpg (68.5 KB, 39 views)
forum pic 1.jpg (63.3 KB, 32 views)
forum pic 3.jpg (68.6 KB, 31 views)
forum pic 4.jpg (98.2 KB, 32 views)
forum pic 5.jpg (143.5 KB, 32 views)
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:39 PM

More Pics
Attached Images
forum pic 6.jpg (84.0 KB, 24 views)
forum pic 7.jpg (85.8 KB, 23 views)
forum pic 8.jpg (85.8 KB, 22 views)
forum pic 9.jpg (78.6 KB, 26 views)
forum pic 10.jpg (56.5 KB, 26 views)
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome formally. It looks to be pretty solid aside from the issues you mention. I see it has a Holley on it and I wonder if the PO perhaps did some head work on it. Does it have the stock cam?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:20 PM

Thanks Eric. Yep, it has a Holley on it not sure if it will be better to keep that or try to find an original. The guy I bought it from didn't do any work to the car and he didn't know much about it's history either. I am going to try and track down the owner before him. I do not know if it has the stock cam, I will find out when I pull the engine.
I thought I read on here somewhere that sometimes a build sheet is hidden in or on the car somewhere. Where might I find that?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:43 PM

Nice 442, lots of potential there. My build sheet was under the springs underneath the rear seat, unfortunately what was left of it disintegrated in my hands. Hope you have better luck.

Cheers, Mike
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:56 PM

Your body cowl tag decodes as a 1970 442 hardtop coupe built the fourth week of February 1970 in Lansing. The body color is bamboo with a gold vinyl top and gold vinyl bucket seats. From your photos, it appears the car does not now have a vinyl top.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:42 PM

Mike, thanks for the info. I pulled the back seat apart and no paperwork in sight. I was really hoping for that, wanted to see what options were on the car.

Jaunty, you are correct. The vinyl top has apparently been completely stripped off and the entire car was repainted a color that was not original.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cutlass Memories
I pulled the back seat apart and no paperwork in sight. I was really hoping for that, wanted to see what options were on the car.
Two comments are in order here.

1. Your car is Lansing-built. Lansing-built Oldsmobiles famously do not have build sheets in them as the Lansing plant was much more strict about this practice than the other plants. The build sheet was never meant to be something that "goes with" the car when delivered to the customer, and thus it was not supposed to be left in the car when assembly was complete. While it's possible that a Lansing car here or there could found to have a build sheet, pretty much anyone who reports finding one has a car assembled at one of the other plants.

2. Even if your car is likely to have a build sheet, there's no guarantee it would be found in the same place that someone else found the one in their car. The place where they seem to be most commonly found is taped to the top of the gas tank, which means you aren't going to find it unless you drop the tank, and few people want to do that unless they have some other, much more pressing reason to, such as a problem with the tank.

But they have also been reported found under the carpet, above the headliner, tucked up into the springs of the front or back seat, under the rear package shelf, and inside one of the doors. No one in his right mind would disassemble his car just to look for the build sheet, especially when you know that there is a possibility that it isn't in the car at all.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 23rd, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:54 PM

The vinyl top has apparently been completely stripped off and the entire car was repainted a color that was not original.
See the 1970 paint chip chart below. Color #50, "bamboo", is right in the middle. That is your car's original color.

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
See the 1970 paint chip chart below. Color #50, "bamboo", is right in the middle. That is your car's original color.
Yes I know, I can see the bamboo color in some spots they did not paint over. There is a big difference. Thanks for the color chart.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
No one in his right mind would disassemble his car just to look for the build sheet, especially when you know that there is a possibility that it isn't in the car at all.
I've never claimed to be in my right mind. However, I certainly will not tear apart the car trying to find the build sheet. The rear seat was easy to remove so I looked. If I run across it while restoring it then so be it.
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:14 AM

I certainly will not tear apart the car trying to find the build sheet.
Remember, it's a Lansing-built car. The chances of there being a build sheet to find are about zero.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:07 AM

My front bumper was also smashed into the stone shield as well. The body man coaxed it back into shape, though. Just yanked on it a bit and it straightened right out!
Old April 25th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Keegan, thanks for sharing. That makes me feel a lot better about how simple it will be to fix mine.