The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First Olds

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2015, 05:08 AM

First Olds

I am a car fan like a billion others. I've owned and restored 9 cars in the past 15 years yet all have been American Motors Cars ranging from Javelins, to Hornets, Gremlings - keeping only one, my wifes 1979 Spirit AMX because of its rarity. Don't know much about Olds other than they looked cool like lots of other cars. I spotted a 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais. 350 - Olds wheels - Buckets - etc. It looked like it had been painted some years back, paint peeling and few bubbles. Straight car - no body rot - very little surface rust and no filler to be seen. It has rally guages and a weird Hurst Shifter. I took a chance since it was pretty solid car and looked different.
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new project. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old June 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Rocket Renegade!

A "weird" Hurst shifter -- Lightning Rods?

Anyway, welcome and X2 on the pictures!
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:52 PM

Hi First Olds,

I too am new to the world of Olds. Been driving and working on European cars all my adult life, Japanese cars in my youth, now that I hit the 4-0 it's all about the classic muscle.

Saw an add on Craigslist and fell in love with this 67 Olds Cutlass 4-door. Ford Lightnin' Blue, straight body. The previous owner bought it out of high school and used the car as his project while working his way through tech school. He stripped it down to the bones and rebuilt her. Did a nice job, still has a ways to go - that's where I come in ;-)

Best of Luck,
E

Hi All,

First and foremost, it's fantastic to see such a great forum of users in existence for Classic Olds. Lots of terrific information in one spot to save a noob like me when scouring the web.

About me: this is my first classic car. My dad has owned a few over the years as his regular, every day beater for work if he could find one overseas at his duty stations. I've always wanted one and finally found one that I could use as a daily driver while repairing and improving along the way. Normally, I am a Saab driver and have years of experience working on those from basic maintenance to body work to transmission replacements. The world of Classic Olds is brand new to me!

About my Cuddy: she's a 1967 Cutlass Supreme 4-Door with the Small Block V8 and Rochester QuadraJet 4BBL Carburetor. I got her over the Summer from a fellow who used her as his test subject while going through Tech School. She ran great for the first 2 days in July after I bought her (right after he pulled her out of storage) and she has not left my garage since. That's when she started leaking oil, gas, and coolant on top of a lot of electrical components that were already not working.

So far I have:
Repaired poor wiring job for headlights, taillights, turn signals, brake lights, Interior Lights
Rebuilt Carburetor
Replaced Plugs, Wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor
Replaced Fuel Pump
Replaced Battery
Removed Aftermarket Stereo Head Unit and Speaker Wedges

I am Replacing the Radiator right now and still have a lot of other things to do - Adjust Dwell Timing, Replace Oil, Replace Thermostat - so I can see if I can get her running again.

I'm always open to advice and criticism so feel free to club me over the head if needed.

Cheers,
E
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:23 AM

It is Odd

As stated new to Oldsmobile's and don't know much about them. Recently purchsed a 79 Calais. Researched to death the W30 Hurst. My vin shows it was built in Georgia not Michigan, I get that.
BUT - Interior is identical - tilt steering - cruise control - Hurst Shifter and console - has the BLACK emblem on front of the car - bolts for the fender braces are metric- rocker chrome exact - gold grill. Looks like it has been painted all white not very well years back. Does have very older looking Hurst emblems on sails and trunk. If somebody did "clone" this car - they wen't to some lengths to do so and quite some time ago. If somebody looked at this car and not the vin- you would swear it was one. Weird.