The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Colorado 72 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Colorado 72 Cutlass Supreme

Hey guys, so Just signed up, just got a 72 Cutlass Supreme, everything is in really good order, works fine, little body rust on rear fenders, small dents here and there, but interior is awesome, stinks a lot. engine has been rebuilt,
front end dropped, vinyl top is in great condition,

This is how I found it,

Old February 13th, 2016, 08:04 PM

Old February 13th, 2016, 08:13 PM
same but different

Hi, Welcome to the site. You're well on your way with that one. Looks good.

Hopefully the stink is the worst of it. Seriously, you might have to do some deep cleaning if its that bad. Remove the seats and pull the carpet, that can be done.

I don't like critter damage, but it can be fixed.
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:20 PM

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna try arm and hammer baking soda.... hope that helps, if not, ill be pulling the seats out, and carpet... and either replacing or cleaning.. one of the 2. but regardless, its like a heavy musty smell that pretty unbearable...sits on your tongue, back of your throat, yuck... but other then that, o_0 hardly ever notice that I'm going 90... Quick.
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:02 PM
same but different

Oh yea, I understand. Thats a good start. Whatever you try, test it first just to make sure it doesn't damage something. Careful with any bleach like substance. Hot soapy water always a good thing. Laundry detergent is good place to start.

In fact, Post up in general discussion with this same cleaning question. A lot of folks might have some answers. Or not, they might see it here.

Oh..and thanks for posting up some photos. Always nice to see what you're working with.
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:14 PM

yes sir, photos are everything! and I think I got the idea from here, cause i was searching for ways to get things rolling before I let it out in the light,
pretty much the dry powder soaks up the odors, (so does active charcoal, just worried about black mark getting every where) and any left over moisture in the carpet, really bad cases require 2 or 3 applications. its on the internet, its got to be true!! lol but may be a good idea to try a small hidden spot before dumping it all over huh...?? but pulling carpet out would allow me to see the condition of floor boards... o_0, what to do what to do... i do have one question though...

this is the front clip that the grill screws onto.. dont think its supposed to be like this... so far the only REALLY bad damage i have found.. how do I straighten this out?
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:15 PM

banging and pounding?
I have the grill (mounts Broken) and bumper, nice and straight, and clean
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:37 PM
same but different

Ahh...no not supposed to be like that.

Worst case you need a core support.

Maybe, possibly, you could pull that out. Do you own a come-along.? Winch like device. It could be connected to a solid structure like a tree or building and winch it out. You might see some success or maybe not. Hmm..I've pulled that same looking damage out before.

Its a question of what kind of quality do you expect out of this repair? This will effect the hood and grill placement when finally done. Its kinda important.

In other words replace or see a body shop OR wait for more responses. You never know.
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:13 PM

ahh, well, i am kinda picky, though am broke, was thinking of heating up the bends, done a little metal work, and was always happy with how those things came out, so i feel like getting this back to where it should be and bends almost back to factory...
How did it look and how did everything fit after you pulled this same damage?

methods of a come-along, heating, massaging back to position, but i dont think the core supports were to expensive to replace? but am gonna wait for more responses, still waiting for warmer weather spend more time with it, vacuumed it, got the brakes working, gonna try more tomorrow. but i would like this to be the best vehicle i own. not my daily, but real close to it. i plan on ABSOLUTELY no winter (83 K20 for the snow) driving while snow and salt is down, being careful early summer, during the rains, but after the salt gets washed away, ill be enjoying this as much as i can. have access to rear quarters, so wont be long before i fix the rust on the back end, and start to do the rest for paint, I will be doing my damndest to do all the work myself.
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:19 PM

well now that we bring up grill position, if you look at the first picture up top of the full car, the front panel isnt sitting quite flush with the rest of the hood line, or door, the other side is okay, but looking at the bent piece, up front, there some slight damage under there
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:04 PM

thinks this looks better then before!! still need to move it a little more.

Old February 14th, 2016, 02:06 PM

Welcome to Classic Olds. You might check with the new or used car dealers or local motels and see if they know of anyone who has a ""Ozone odor remover machine" .They use them to remove smoke and other foul odors.
There's usually one that does that service for motels and cars that have been owned by heavy smokers. It is just a small machine that they place inside the car and it fogs the whole interior,but only takes about 20 minutes. Larry
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks to be a fun project. X2 on getting with some of your local car dealers and see if they have an odor out guy.
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM

well i went out and bout some active charcoal, and some of the arm and hammer baking soda carpet smell good powder. poured almost the whole box all over the carpet, and seats. gonna come back tomorrow after work and see what happens over the next couple days, hopefully the i wont have to pay somebody...
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:55 AM
72 Olds CS

Nokout and fabreeeze work very good for killing odors, as suggested best way is to remove the seats and carpet, if there is moisture still in carpet it will take forever to dry in the car and still smell.... out of the car it will dry in Aday and allow you to use desmell products more effectively
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:56 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Car looks very nice and good work on the grill. Hope you're able to get the smell out of it.
Old February 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Jon,RetroRangers post is correct. If it's in the carpet,they derfinately need to be removed,clean with good carpet cleaner,and hung outside to dry for a day or so. My guess is that's the most likely place it's coming from. If is damp or moulded on the back side of the carpet in passenger side floor pan, it either has had a heater core leaking or may still be .
If you are unable to find anyone with an "Ozone Odor Remover Machine" the above info will probably get most of it. Also after carpets are dry ,cut a couple of apples into ,place them near the seats on the carpet ,and leave them 24 hr. Sometimes they will help with odd odors. Larry
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:00 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Nice Supreme. Carpet kits are cheap. Do yourself a favor and get new threads. Welcome to the site!
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies!! though I am going a different route, I have a odor genie in the car on the seat, its active charcoal with a scent, and then arm and hammer "extra strength" Capet odor eliminator.. its been in for 3-4 days cant remember when i dumped it in there, if it comes back i will be pulling it out and cleaning it! but the carpet looks brand new after the first initial cleaning. so im really hoping not to replace it!! but i will if it doesn't go away!