The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Brazilian 65 Cutlass Holiday Coupe Newbee!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Brazilian 65 Cutlass Holiday Coupe Newbee!!!

Itīs funny but I am a 25 year brazilian ownerīs of a 65 Cutlass, I love this car because itīs my street-strip project.
I am here to change informations of this car since itīs honor for me to help people with theyīr ride.

First question : My engine is spitting some oil by the ..that metal vertical tube where we putt the engine oil (bad english sorry ..) This happens when I open it together with the valve cover hose too.

Is it normal... my oil metal stick level thing is not standard(golf model LOL) so maybe i think itīs too much oil on the engine or maybe itīs BROKEN RINGS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HELP GUYS!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-10-12 17.33.17.jpg (76.8 KB, 24 views)
SC20121008-084914.jpg (46.1 KB, 28 views)
SC20121008-085155.jpg (52.1 KB, 25 views)
SC20121008-085100.jpg (45.1 KB, 24 views)
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Hi 65coupebrazil: Welcome to the Classic Oldsmobile Forum! There are very many friendly and helpful people here.
From your discripton of the problem, It seems that you might have too much oil in the engine. Drain your old and measure how much is in there.

Determine your engine size:
225 cu in (3.69 L) V6 155 hp
250 cu in (4.1 L) Chevrolet I6 155 hp
330 cu in (5.4 L) V8 230-310 hp
400 cu in (6.6 L) V8 345 hp

Add the proper amount of oil.

It would be wise to purchase the correct oil dipstick and tube for your vehicle.

I hope that you do not have a blown head gasket.

Last edited by Jaybird; October 12th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Geez, When I read the title of this thread, I was trying to picture what a 65 Cutty would look like with a 'Brazillian'????????
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Administrator

You can use the dipstick that is in there, just mark it with a file or a heavy scribe after you change the oil and filter and run it for about 3 mins. It takes 5 quarts with a new filter.

When the engine is idling is there a lot of smoke coming from the oil fill tube?

I don't see a PCV in your valve cover, if you install one it will help with keeping the oil in the engine. On the opposite valve cover you need either a vent, or run a hose to your carburetor air cleaner housing.

Let us know how it goes.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks a lot guys!

Aditional infp and my plan:

1- My valve cover's pcv valve was very dirty. . so I cleaned up and put it back on he engine with it's hose pointed to the ground like it was before. Since the pcv is vacum valve I am tried to test it with mouth vacum ( didn't worked very fin because of the low pressure).

2 - When the engine is idling there is no smoke coming out of the main oil brether ( the one close to the water pump) but there is oil coming out when I rev(pump the gas) the engine (it messed up my engine appeal with all that oil in the intake mainfold)

3 - I dont think that the pressure is because of my pcv because when I taked off releasing all the pressure that was stucked by the dirty . . . There is still pressure coming out of the center oil breather(close to the water pump) So then putted the pcv back it's place

So my plan is to drain the oil tomorrow and meassure how many quarters are in it and do all the normal proccedures and mark my oil dipstick (thanks for the correct name) An than I will make a short video or new pics of the results ok?

Last question before dirtyng my hands. . . Without the Pcv valve Should the engine split oil from te center oil breather when I rev the engine?

Very happy here with the fast replies of you guys!!
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Okay, I have to ask you this... Do you have a cap for your oil fill tube?

Just asking!
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird

Just asking!
Yes Sir! I have a chrome one (not sure if itīs original).
By the way my engine is a 330 with a 2 speed transm. Pictures of parts and ride can be requested anytime.

Just for curiosity I am posting a pic of the numbers that Ive found on the driverīs side Head ( I used my cellphone to and my lamp very easy) the numbers are facing the engineīs back bay wall.

Any questions are wellcome!
thanks man!
Attached Images
enginenumbers.JPG (28.6 KB, 14 views)
oilffilltube..JPG (75.6 KB, 15 views)
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird

Just asking!
Problem is solved!
1- I drained the oil and there was more than 7 liter in the engine.
2 - I fixed my ignition and alternator wiring with a proper hose covering all the wires together. Best appeal and protection from heat coming from the engine.
3 - My fuel pump was leaking too, so I removed for putting a new HOME MADE GASKET BUT I HAVE NO ENGINE GLUE . . . IT STEEL LEAKING LOL
4- replaced my regular old fuel hoses changing them to fuel injection hoses for better perfm. Appeal lokks better now!

Thanks Sir!! seyah soon ok. . . gonna need you guys!!!!

The pic bellow is showing one of 2 recilients used for the drain. . . this one is a 6 l recipient. . . almost fullfiled! !!!!! too much oil my brothe putted in engine while I was leaving in other state and my car stayed whith him. . . . . thankguys!!!
Attached Images
2012-10-13 11.53.23.jpg (50.3 KB, 8 views)
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can use the dipstick that is in there, just mark it with a file or a heavy scribe after you change the oil and filter and run it for about 3 mins. It takes 5 quarts with a new filter.

When the engine is idling is there a lot of smoke coming from the oil fill tube?

I don't see a PCV in your valve cover, if you install one it will help with keeping the oil in the engine. On the opposite valve cover you need either a vent, or run a hose to your carburetor air cleaner housing.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks man!! look my story below!
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear everything turned out well. It looks like a nice project that will turn a lot of heads in your area.
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Glad to hear everything turned out well. It looks like a nice project that will turn a lot of heads in your area.
More coming soon! !! thanks!