The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Brakes upgrade

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2015, 02:19 AM

Brakes upgrade

Hi Guys, just joined the ranks, picked up a 64 club coupe f85. Body has about 58,000, very solid by New England standards. Interior butt ugly, shot or nonexistent , except back seat is excellent?? Weird blue plaid still had plastic on it until recently. Back to the brakes upgrade. I was told you can use a dual master w/booster up grade designed for disc brakes for front and rear drum brakes "IF" you incorporate an adjustable proportion valve......then ad the discs later and readjust valve (advice from summit racing). Need to slow down the 400 chevy w/th350 trans a little quicker. This sound okay? Nelson, Cruiser f85
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance. I'm not sure on your brake question, so I'll defer to others.
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why not just use a dual master that was designed for drum brakes, and then change the master and add the valve later?

It's not like master cylinders are expensive.

Also, if you want "normal" operation, you should change to power wheel cylinders when changing to a power aster with a booster (I'm not sure about that exact model and year, but in general, piston sizes are different between power and manual setups).

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why not just use a dual master that was designed for drum brakes, and then change the master and add the valve later?

It's not like master cylinders are expensive.

Also, if you want "normal" operation, you should change to power wheel cylinders when changing to a power aster with a booster (I'm not sure about that exact model and year, but in general, piston sizes are different between power and manual setups).

- Eric
Thanks for some good points, (especially the size of the brake cylinder part. I will look into that one. But I want the power brakes aspect at least, but not the big expense of hanging the disc this year. Want to make sure the old girl keeps purring. I am very familiar with the last 20 + year history.....6,000 miles at the most. Nelson in Vt.