The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Benched

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Benched

I am a newbie here with my '66 4speed 442. California car, clean as a whistle, original paint and interior ( so I thought). Its hard to fake original patina'd paint, but the interior is another story. I never knew why my buckets were through bolted until I pulled up the two layers of carpet and pad(no joke!), and found there to be no brackets welded in. Car must've been born with a bench. It has the higher end interior with the horizontal pleats all in Maroon. I am looking for a bench and will be welding up the ten holes drilled into the pristine floor. Idiots. My question to all of you is which bench is correct? Arm rest with nicer pleated vinyl to match definitely original door panels, or regular f85 style bench with diamond shaped upholstery? If I get one from a 68-up, can the headrests be removed and covered over? Which cars had the stainless trim on the side? Only Olds?
Found 66 Chevelle bench and '67 Cutty bench, no arm rest on either. Really would like a CAR Bench so the nicer material can be used. I need advice as to what one is in it. Not a post car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10-14-14 dump 030.jpg (57.6 KB, 29 views)
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Welcome
Nice

More pix?

Two carpets, you say?
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, x2 on more pictures. Hopefully someone will chime in on your seating issue. Does the cowl tag reflect it being born with a bench seat?
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Yeah, strangest thing I have ever seen. What looked like original dark Maroon, ratty carpet and pad topped with a newer red carpet which was glued to the original. Possibly replaced lower carpet on door panels with remnant of top layer. The buckets were correct for a '66, but had literally two fistfuls of hardware holding them down, spaced an inch above the floor with nuts and washers. Extra two holes drilled beyond what was needed for maybe a different drivers seat. The heater core went on previous owner and it went twice on me(bad unit). I got spooked and pulled carpet to make sure floor wasnt rusting. Thats when the mystery started to become clear. Oh yeah, broken glass too!! If cars could talk. Getting error loading pics
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Here it is. Lost other photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:49 AM

OldCutlass, I just saw your comment about the cowl tag. I will have to look at it again. What is the code on there for bench? I will take new pics later. The file I have is corrupted.
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Try this decoder, I believe he got all the bugs worked out of it:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oder-beta.html
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM

I tried the decoder and it told me I am a Freemont 442, Autumn Bronze top/bottom and a code 88 bronze vinyl interior. I couldnt get any other info besides first week of January 66. I am picking up a '67 Parchment bench in great shape today. I'll have to figure out the covering. Maybe Ill find the CAR style pleated material and get extra material to do the center where the armrest would normally be.