The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Baby's First Olds

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:01 PM

Baby's First Olds

Hey everyone!

My name's Matt. I've been lurking around these forums for a few months, and finally decided it was time to go legit. This place has already been an exceptional tool for learning about my first classic car, a 1968 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe.
I'm lucky to have a bit of experience wrenching on much newer vehicles, but after owning the car for 6 months, I may finally have accepted that I'm in over my head!
When I bought it a half a year ago from the original owner, it had been sitting in a barn for about 30 years. She isn't much of a looker, but for a Pennsylvania car the rust isn't bad. The goal has always been to DD the car, and I've had reasonable success with that, baring the few times I've had to fix bigger issues.
I'm under the hood almost every day, and yet things still break, which is something I think I've come to accept when using a classic as a daily. Major issues insofar have been largely electrical, but I haven't yet dug deep into the block.
I'm about to pull the motor for a full clean and rebuild, and I'm terrified at what I might find!
The carb needs rebuilt or perhaps replaced; the oil smells of gas and is black from running way too rich. There are leaks at the heads on both the number 8 and 4 cylinders, potentially a slight compression issue (I believe I have C heads?), and recently it developed what I'm guessing is a loss of vacuum, so it's currently out of comish.
That being said, I love the car, including all these problems, and refuse to ever give up on it.
Glad to finally be a member and I look forward to some keen advice!
Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. There are lots of people here with lots of knowledge that are glad to help. You have come to the right place.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, hail to the new boat capt. Fixing up these cars is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time, we've all been there. They really are quite simple to work on. Post individual questions in the respective forum, plenty of folks here to help.
Old December 13th, 2017, 02:02 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Welcome to the yacht club!
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:05 PM

if the oil is full of gas it will run rich so dump that oil.
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
if the oil is full of gas it will run rich so dump that oil.
And check out the fuel pump. Often that is the source of the gas getting into the oil..... Tedd
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the world of Oldsmobile where information is abundant for any issue you may have with your 98...