The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Art 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Art 72 Cutlass

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am in the process of getting the 1972 Cutlass full service manual, but in the mean time, I have a question. Is the cigarette lighter on its own fuse. Right now mine is not working. All other lights work. I want to use it as a cell phone charger. Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:18 PM

I don't remember if it has it's own fuse or not. I'd start at the fuse box. Use a test light to check both ends of the fuse for power. Some of them may not be hot unless the key is in the run position, or unless the lights are on. Also look for rust between the fuse & the fuse holder. I had that before where both ends of the fuse were hot, but the little fingers that hold the metal ends were not due to rust between the two. If rust, a little sand paper or flat screwdriver should remove it pretty well. If all fuses are good, remove the woodgrain around the speedo, & fuel gauge. There are 2 screws above it & 2 below it. Then remove the pod on the right side. It's held in with 3 1/4" screws. I bet it has come unplugged. There should be an orange wire wit a female connnector just inside that hole & to the right a little bit maybe. The back of the lighter element has a small nipple, maybe about 1/4" long that the orange wire slips onto. It's not a real good connection to begin with. If that's the case with yours, you can "gently" close the connector with a set of pliers & slip it back on the lighter.
Let us know what you find.
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks oldspackrat, I'll give your suggestions a try maybe this weekend. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Art. Hope that fixes your problem. Let us know and post some pics of your ride too when you get a chance.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by art72
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am in the process of getting the 1972 Cutlass full service manual, but in the mean time, I have a question. Is the cigarette lighter on its own fuse. Right now mine is not working. All other lights work. I want to use it as a cell phone charger. Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, it has a 25 amp fuse.
Here you go - right out of the 72 CSM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fuse block 72.jpg (91.7 KB, 91 views)
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM

You are the man oldspackrat, based on what you told me and the fuse panel print that Allan R sent me, I knew it wasn't the fuse because the lights work that use the same fuse. So I proceded to follow your next instructions. I removed the bezel and the right pod, sure enough the orange wire had popped off. I squeezed the connector a little bit and re-inserted it on the lighter post. Sure enough the thing works! Thanks to everyone for the help!
Art72
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM

OLD SKL 69, I'll post some pics after I make them small enough to upload. Right now they are all around 3MB each.
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM

72 Cutlass S

Here's some pics as requested by OLD SKL 69
Attached Images
Trailer exp.jpg (87.1 KB, 30 views)
front exp.jpg (85.4 KB, 24 views)
rear exp.jpg (56.8 KB, 24 views)
interior exp.jpg (54.8 KB, 26 views)
engine side exp.jpg (94.9 KB, 29 views)
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Really nice looking car. Is that Flame Orange (65)? Usually when the W29 appearance is added, the side moldings are deleted. The side stripes actually should be 3 stripes instead of 2 though. Wheels look great, like the way the car remains badged as a Cutlass S instead of 442. But, it shore ain't no Hurst Olds!(trunk emblem)

I see the AC has been deleted. Bet that thing runs like a scared rabbit!
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Yes it's Code 65 (Flame Orange). It is the paint code on the trim tag. I guess whoever ordered the car wanted the side moldings too. As far as the Hurst emblem, it was on there when I got the car. Thanks
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by art72
I guess whoever ordered the car wanted the side moldings too.
mmm, no. From the factory if the car was ordered with a W29 appearance package the side moldings were automatically deleted and the car was pierced for 442 emblems as well. Indicator of Cutlass S build instead of W29 442 is also seen on the hood. The W29 had the Oldsmobile script mounted on the DS hood lip area and the grill was badged 442. The grills on the car have been changed from the original horizontal S horizontal pattern. Only BBO W30's actually got the dual cutout bumpers so the one on there was added by the PO too. No matter - I love the look of dual cutouts and the 442 grills.

Noteworthy - in 72 442 lost its distinction of being a separate model. Exterior emblems (fender, trunk deck, grill) would show 442, but interior glove box and door emblems would remain as "Cutlass" or "Cutlass Supreme" on the verts. 1972 Cutlass models are the easiest to clone into 442's because of the change to VIN coding. Only real way to know if the car was originally a W29 is through documentation (build sheet, broadcast card, original BOS or window sticker).

Most likely the PO just decided to customize the car the way he wanted it with the striping. FWIW the body side moldings that were left on are the upgrade ones that have the black overlays - not that commonly seen nowadays. Easier to remove a stripe than weld on those molding clips. The moldings weren't all that functional - still got lots of door dings in spite of that when I got my first 72 back in 74.

I think you've got a gorgeous car; and know you'll have a great time driving it. I encourage you to learn more about your car by reading through the site, and also documentation on Olds.
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:54 PM

Very nice 72'. I want to put the same recessed grill in mine as well. Looks great.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Beautiful '72
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rcrac3r
Very nice 72'. I want to put the same recessed grill in mine as well. Looks great.
John, those are the 442 grills for 72. If you just want the 'recessed' look you can use the 71 Cutlass grills and just paint them according to the color you want. As you know 72 grills are plastic, but 71 is made of pot metal. The OEM grills will install a LOT easier than the repro 72 442 ones and a LOT less expensive

If you want the 71 grills? Check with John McNeel (2blu442). He probably has some sitting around and he always is fair in pricing and shipping. + he's close - Medford Oregon.
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM

Nice car! Welcome to the asylum for Olds addicts... it IS uncureable!
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:12 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Welcome to CO! Beautiful car! Your pickup will be jealous because you will be spending less time driving it this summer.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info Allan R. I'm looking forward to becoming an Olds enthusiast!