The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 olds 98

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM

72 olds 98

I am a little saddened by the lack of response i received when trying to find out information for my car. I am having a hard time finding window trim for the 98 coupe of 1972 that does NOT have a vinyl top. I put in a thread on my car's forum with no response. Any help from anyone else?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:36 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Odds are nobody has replied because there is no information to share. Common parts are hard to find for these large cars on a good day let alone oddball parts for not common options.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:04 AM

66ninetyeight is right. Trim parts for the full-size cars are not reproduced, and there is no central source for used parts. You have to scavenge. Online and in person. Post what you need in the "parts wanted" section and hope for the best. Google "used auto parts" and complete some of the online forms that some used parts search sites offer and hope for the best. Keep a constant eye on ebay. Etc.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pics of the ol girl. Sorry about the lack of response to your inquiries. Sometimes it takes some time to find what you are looking for.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Oldsdruid

Which trim are you looking for? Sounds like the rear window reveal mouldings since they're textured on VT jobs.

Buick Electra and possibly Cadillac DeVille will be the same mouldings, but majority of those had vinyl roof too. I don't think Caddy used the textured moulding though.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I suspect the reason is that there is no answer.

Nobody makes this stuff because there's no real demand for it, because these cars are not collectible.

If you need body or trim pieces, you will need to locate them the old fashioned way, by visiting junkyards or by placing classified ads (such as on this site) and waiting.

The parts are out there - they're just still attached to other cars.

- Eric