The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 cutlass s

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM

Cool 72 cutlass s

Hello.Im tbird.My car is such a mess.I let idiots work on her.I got to looking at allthe wiring,wow! I dont think theres a single wire that isnt spliced.Im surprised she even runs. Shes been my daily driver for 15 years. I couldnt imagine driving anything else.I looked at the chiltons but I need more a more detailed diagram. Any suggestions?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
72 Olds CS

Wildaboutcars has the CSM for your car w wiring diagrams free to join and use
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tbird
Any suggestions?
Yes. Throw the Chilton's manual as far away as you can and get a factory Chassis Service Manual for your year. The CSM will have a color wiring diagram in addition to everything else you need to fix the car.

You didn't specify the year, but by the late 1970s Olds started using a separate electrical troubleshooting manual due to the size and complexity of the wiring on these cars.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to you and your 72. Post some pictures when you get a chance. The Chassis Service Manual, as Joe P. stated is your best bet.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:43 AM

With my eyes. the larger wiring diagram (plastic coated) from classiccarwiring

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/olds.php

good addition to the very necessary chassis service manual mentioned above...
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:06 PM

On the other hand, more cash, but I replaced the headlight wiring harness, and engine wiring harness with new. Just rip the old out and install the new. Plug and play. I used M&M. All color coded to factory and all the factory style plugs. Just plug them in to the firewall side of your fuse block and route them. Note- Easiest to do with the fender off or the brake booster removed. The factory manual shows the routing. For as many years as you have and plan ahead to drive your car, this would be the way I would address the mess you have.