The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

71 Supreme

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Cool 71 Supreme

Hi everyone,

My name is Jude and I am the proud new owner of a 71 Cutlass Supreme. This is the first classic car I have ever owned. I am really excited to have it and I cannot wait to start restoring it. What are the major things I should look out for with my Cutlass? My mechanic went through it and said it is solid and has only surface rust. The only real problem is in the trunk floor panel but I know that can be replaced fairly easy. Also I plan on upgrading the brakes to disc brakes. Are there any other upgrades/fixes I should look into right away?

Thanks,

Jude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
resizedimage_cutlass.jpg (197.1 KB, 26 views)
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM
72 Olds CS

I would address any safety issues first, then stuff that should be replaced like bushings shocks etc, then do the stuff you want to do for appearance or performance.

Nice looking supreme I like he green on green and welcome to CO
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome, very nice. There is a lot of info on upgrades if your search some of the threads.
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

I'd drive it around a bit first, and see if there is anything about it that you want to change.

If it's a low-mileage car in good condition, and everything works, then I would consider changing rubber parts first, as they deteriorate even when a car is treated well, things like the suspension bushings and door and window seals.

You are welcome to install disc brakes, but if your drums are well adjusted and working fine, you may not notice any improvement with the discs in normal driving (if you are towing, racing, or driving like everyone else in Massachusetts, on the other hand, you might notice that they fade less).

- Eric
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I would address any safety issues first, then stuff that should be replaced like bushings shocks etc, then do the stuff you want to do for appearance or performance.

Nice looking supreme I like he green on green and welcome to CO
Thanks RetroRanger. Right now some bushings are being replaced and a couple other things so it will pass state safety inspection. I really like the color too. I'm not a big fan of the vinyl top tho.
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome, very nice. There is a lot of info on upgrades if your search some of the threads.
Oldcutlass, I plan on going through quite a few threads on here.
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Welcome aboard

FWIW,There are 2 kinds of vinyl tops. Those that have rust under them and those that will have rust under them.
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Welcome to ClassicOlds.

I'd drive it around a bit first, and see if there is anything about it that you want to change.

If it's a low-mileage car in good condition, and everything works, then I would consider changing rubber parts first, as they deteriorate even when a car is treated well, things like the suspension bushings and door and window seals.

You are welcome to install disc brakes, but if your drums are well adjusted and working fine, you may not notice any improvement with the discs in normal driving (if you are towing, racing, or driving like everyone else in Massachusetts, on the other hand, you might notice that they fade less).

- Eric
Hi Eric,

My car seems to be in overall good condition. The odometer reads 12K but I'm sure its at least 112K. It also has power windows and air conditioning. I'm sure all the rubber bushings and seals are going to be replaced and I am actually looking forward to doing this.

I do want to upgrade the brakes to disc brakes, because I know they are going to perform better than drums. (I'm also going to need more stopping power after I do the engine upgrades I have in mind.)
But for now I am just going to do what needs to be done so I can drive it around safely and then work on it slowly.

Jude
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Safety and reliability first. Some might say if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I always go through the brakes and unless I can verify recent new parts, I replace all the rubber parts. Hoses that look good on the outside are ofter swollen shut or greatly restricting the brake fluid. They may engage the brakes under high pressure from the pedal or booster, but fail to fully release when you disengage.

My car over heated when I bought it, and I found a bad fan clutch, frozen mechanical advance and a leaking vacuum advance. The Q-jet was in need of a rebuild and the choke was non functioning. None of this is that expensive or difficult to fix, and sometimes the previous owner didn't perform the maintenance like you or I might.
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

FWIW,There are 2 kinds of vinyl tops. Those that have rust under them and those that will have rust under them.
Haha. So true.