The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

69 Olds Cutty Supreme 455rocket

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:32 PM
See ya at the FINISH LINE

Question 69 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455rocket

Im new to the Olds 455...But im def loving it...current owner of 69 cutlass supreme w 455... just acquired it in feb as a resto and tribute to a good friend whom past in Dec last year... I currently am going school for my ase cert, and I have so many ?? concernig my Olds. The instructors were I go arent that familar w Olds, they are real particular motors and need exact tuning specs from what i can tell in my research...I wanting all the info i can get on these cars anyone got any info for a newb??? I have temp running at 210 or a lil under all time 0n 50* and 60* havnt had for summer yet... As well one set of rockers chattering and I suspecting a slight head gasket problem...ANy takers to my ?? much obliged>>> Just looked more precisely before I went and started a thread but My #1 cyl exhuast valve pushrod starts to pump then stops?? I was told it is clogging! Run a quart of tranny fluid in w oil and change and see if this settles the problem???

Last edited by Chris Wicks; May 6th, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: DROPPED THE TERM CUTTY!!!!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM

Welcome to the site and nice car. There is plenty info to be found here but we might need some more info about your car first. Is it a 2 or 4 door or coupe. Would also need numbers off engine to find out exactly what year that is. Numbers are just behind water pump and oil filler tube and a single letter from the drivers side head near the #1 sparkplug. Post some pics!
Also 210 degrees sounds a little high, 180-190 sounds a little better.
Rob

Last edited by Beob; May 3rd, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM

Welcome to the site Chris! Yes, please post pictures of your car.
John
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM

Hey guys thanks for your replies....But the year is 69 and numbers are 396021 and on head cyl 1 is FA... two door as you see... from my research you could special order these cars with 455 rocket but came as 350// so im thinking either someone swaped it or it did come with special ordered...Im wanting still all the original info on my thread! I also have another ?? sorry im full of them... but a buddy has 305 chevy that will match with my th350 training from my understanding...Im wanting to possibly swap the two and do rebuild on the 455...thanks for your help...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:19 PM

Hello and Welcome,

We would like to see some pic's of the letters on the head, also letters on the block.

Those years of "A" body Olds were all Olds powered. Just fix the 455. It will not be an easy conversion and the chubby will not bolt to the Olds trans.

Gene
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Base F85/Cutlass motor in 1969 was a chevy I6 but most had the olds 350 (2bbl or 4bbl). 400 was in the 442 and uncommon option in others but the 455 only came in the Hurst/Olds. Think I got this right but others may have more details.

455 is a popular replacement and hope you have a solid motor and minimal rust to start your project. Good luck and lots of folks here are very helpful.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:43 AM

Welcome to CO

Chris,

The Olds 455 is a great engine and not that hard to work on and not hard to work of or find parts for. A basic tune up and fluid change can go a long way to improve performance. If you do not have a set of after market mechanical gauges on you can then I suggest you install a set as your first project. If you have mechanical gauges what is your oil pressure?

The tranny fluid is a good way to clean out the gunk but change the oil right away and you may have to repeat this step.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:44 AM
delete

Putting the Chevy engine will be more work than its worth. In addition to not bolting up to the transmission you'll have to eff with exhaust. Find an Olds 350 to bolt in while you do the 455 if you still want to drive the car.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Your engine is a 72-76 455 low compression. Are you sure about the Fa on the head? The car looks like a Cutlass Supreme Holiday coupe, which about 24,000 were made. More info might be found on cowl tag or a build sheet.
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofblk.htm
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofhed.htm
Rob
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM

WOW<Just the place I have needed! You guys are all full of Valuable information! THanks to you all!!! Im going to post pix in just a few min!!! THANKS...
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM

My bad, they are 4A heads,, Idk y i said FA...casting is still the same though 396021
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM

455 big block.jpg

Engine tag.jpg

heads.jpg

Interior to the 69 Olds.jpg
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM

ok so I was just looking for a swap during process of rebuilding this 455!!! My tranny is TH350 and its starting to slip! There is mad wiring mess in this car! I h;ave not really done much! My oil pressure reads 18 psi idle and give or take 40 to 50 on highway speeds? The way you see the car is way i Acquired! i Bought it for 2500...
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Welcome aboard. I'm kinda fond of 69's
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Wow, what a wiring nightmare under your dash! Reminds me of mine before I did the resto. As per the cowl tag its definitely a Supreme Holiday coupe. Originally green with off white top. The main difference between the Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme would be the moldings and trim. Looks like the 4a heads came off a 403. I think that might raise comp a bit but not sure. Oil pressure looks ok.
http://www.69olds.com/decode.html
Rob
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM

interesting... The block is a 455, but heads from a 403. Years ago others and I wrote up a FAQ detailing what castings came on what years and models, how to ID them, etc. I think it's a wiki now, out there somewhere. Google "Olds* head ID wiki FAQ" and see what shows up. But we know at this time what parts you have there.

This might have been done right... the proper RH alternator brackets tend to indicate that.... but then SB heads such as the 4A castings have ports that are MUCH smaller than the gasket/ intake manifold port, I believe. Not as bad as the puny-port heads like 6A or 7A, but not a close match like the factory used either.

You might want to flush, then look into the clattering lifter issue from a mechanical point if it's not then cured. A lot can go wrong even with proper parts, and you have some mismatch to contend with. For example I inherited a "rebuilt" 403, and when I got to investigating, I found that the lifters had ZERO preload, because the previous owner was evidently an idiot... LH oil galley plug did not have the spurt hole, way too much cam for the compression, etc. etc.

So, depending on what you find inside, you MIGHT have to fully tear it down and go over all the details and re-assemble. If all is well inside, this can be as little as a gasket set and a couple weeks' effort after work each night. If you have worn rocker pedestals or perhaps the lifter plunger depression is inadequate, there are ways to address these issues, but it's not as simple as adjusting the rockers like on a Brand C motor.

Oh, and please drop the term "Cutty"
Please... thanks.
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM

ok so many answers much appreciated! SO my first project on this car was installing the gauges! I installed oil,temp and a tach! My temp about 210! I have physically watche it on a hard run run up to 230 but come right back down!! I did run tranny fluid in motor drove it about 60 miles and parked over night! Next morning started it up no chatter! then it ran for min and started chatterin again then stopped and sounded as if the lifter itself is just worn like it was bout to fall out bottom end!!! loud but light sound! almost want to do video of the motor running but idk if can post video on here?? THis is my plan I want to find a motor to swap w so can still drive the car?? Im planning on doing rebuikd this fall on the 455! Any suggestion on a good street/strip build for olds 455?? Also if i cant find a swap any suggestions on that worn lifter im suspecting? Can I jus break into top end replace that one lifter etc... and be good for awhile?? Im new to OLDS IM NEW TO whole internal engine specs anyways, that y so full of ??? I just started my ASE degree and I only taken Eng principles, brakes, electrical I Engine perf 1&2 but the performance part isnt what i was thinking! Its more along lines of basic engine performance not high performance! IM definitely learning! I can tell you IVe came along way in last 6months! 1 yr left!! but I do appreciate all your replies and help!!
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Question

Originally Posted by citcapp
Chris,

The Olds 455 is a great engine and not that hard to work on and not hard to work of or find parts for. A basic tune up and fluid change can go a long way to improve performance. If you do not have a set of after market mechanical gauges on you can then I suggest you install a set as your first project. If you have mechanical gauges what is your oil pressure?

The tranny fluid is a good way to clean out the gunk but change the oil right away and you may have to repeat this step.
I did the tranny fluid, read my recent post please! and how should i post on my threads when I have so many ppl commenting? can I individually or just one reply and try answer everyone? lol
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Im sorry if seems I dont respond to everyones answers to my ?? Im new at this site but im much obliged!!
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Beob
Wow, what a wiring nightmare under your dash! Reminds me of mine before I did the resto. As per the cowl tag its definitely a Supreme Holiday coupe. Originally green with off white top. The main difference between the Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme would be the moldings and trim. Looks like the 4a heads came off a 403. I think that might raise comp a bit but not sure. Oil pressure looks ok.
http://www.69olds.com/decode.html
Rob

Thanks for the site very Informative!! Im waiting on mondello tech ref manual any time should be here!!!
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Beob
Your engine is a 72-76 455 low compression. Are you sure about the Fa on the head? The car looks like a Cutlass Supreme Holiday coupe, which about 24,000 were made. More info might be found on cowl tag or a build sheet.
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofblk.htm
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofhed.htm
Rob
Im a little confused with the body tag info! I may have misread! but your info I wasnt able to tell how many were produced my tag says LAN which is plant Lansing, and then 169900? thought this was production amount?? and 5th week in October my car built 10E?? my trim color wasnt able to find977?? 59 E= parchement? 59?? Im sorry I may have over looked!!
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM

That is just a Fisher body number, not a production number for the car. The last six of the VIN tell the number that car was coming off of that particular assembly line starting with 100001 as the first car of the year.