The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

69 cutlas S convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2016, 04:32 PM

69 cutlas S convertible

Need your advise. I am looking at 69 cutlas convertible. All original super clean. Runs and drives well. Interior like new. However it needs a paint job with a minimal body work. They asking 9k. Is it a good price?

1969 OLDSMOBILE CUTLAS S CONVERTIBLE
ONE OWNER CAR
STORED SINCE 1980
NEW TIRES
GAS TANK CLEANED
MASTER CYCLINDER REBUILT
TOP WORKS FINE
ORIGINAL INTERIOR THAT LOOKS LIKE NEW
EXCELLENT CHROME
BUILD SHEET AND ORIGINAL BOOKS
NO HIT BODY
WILL NEED PAINT
SPEED MINDER
P/S P/B RADIO

Last edited by 4samers; June 20th, 2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old June 20th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Pics would help are you sure its minimal body work? Also do you like the car? Top OK ? It sounds reasonable to me , fight a little on the price, but running driving convertibles with perfect interior which tells me its either replaced or well taken care of I bought my 69 over 30 years ago for 3500 lol so maybe I am biased lol
Old June 20th, 2016, 04:43 PM

All docs are a plus
Old June 20th, 2016, 04:50 PM

what you think? All original interior top is good shape.

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Pics would help are you sure its minimal body work? Also do you like the car? Top OK ? It sounds reasonable to me , fight a little on the price, but running driving convertibles with perfect interior which tells me its either replaced or well taken care of I bought my 69 over 30 years ago for 3500 lol so maybe I am biased lol

Old June 20th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, price is not bad at all. I'd also check the condition of the front end, floors and wear parts.
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:05 PM

The seller is firm on the 9k. I am looking for a cruiser hence why I like this one.

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:12 AM

It looks very good, I think it was sprayed? but if not it looks very good to me, get underneath as was said, but the little rust showing is all repairable, but may be able to be cleaned up and partially painted till your ready, I like it and fully documented is great.
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

350 2bbl. I see a disk brake master cylinder - does the car have disk brakes or is this an incorrect replacement? I don't see the factory metering valve used on 1969 disk brake cars either, so be sure it was converted properly.

Your photos aren't particularly easy to interpret, so I can't tell if there is rust to be worried about or not. If the car has every been repainted, I'd be concerned about poor rust repair under the paint, which will come back to haunt you.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:44 AM

All

First - A special thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to be part ofthe Oldsmobile team...

Joe, The rust you see in the picture is a bubble the previous owner cleaned upbut for some reason did not apply primer. The car was never painted before - Itwas a daily driver by an older couples. The car sat inside since 1980. The person who bought it rebuilt the Cylinder and cleaned the gas tank. I know you guys are not excited about the 350 but I am looking for a stuck silver - Soon to have black strips... Underneath is clean. I did not see rust. I am not sure about the diskbreak!!! I will find out.

If you were given the option, would you pay 9K for it?

Old June 21st, 2016, 09:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4samers

If the body is as solid as it appears, that's a reasonable price. Of course, I'd try and negotiate it down, but $9K is in the right ballpark.
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:03 PM

Damn Joe..

your Eyes don't miss nothing!!, I would love to hear your commentary at the beach LOL.... dang,
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4samers
All

First - A special thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to be part ofthe Oldsmobile team...

Joe, The rust you see in the picture is a bubble the previous owner cleaned upbut for some reason did not apply primer. The car was never painted before - Itwas a daily driver by an older couples. The car sat inside since 1980. The person who bought it rebuilt the Cylinder and cleaned the gas tank. I know you guys are not excited about the 350 but I am looking for a stuck silver - Soon to have black strips... Underneath is clean. I did not see rust. I am not sure about the diskbreak!!! I will find out.

that 350 is a good motor, has good flowing number 5 heads, it will have smaller valves being the car is a 2 bbl, but the valves can be upgraded and enlarged, look up w-31. is the rear Posi by any chance? mine came with a 350 , 2bbl, 4 speed and Posi, go figure, I bought it before the internet and it had 442 badging, I was told it was a 442, turnpike cruiser, LOL, I bought that, what did I know I was a GTO guy LOL.
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:13 PM

grab it.

I would Bring 8500 dead presidents and wave them under his nose cash on the barrelhead, keep another 500 in your other pocket.

I would buy that car, is it is jersey LOL...

Funny enough that is the color my GTO was it was also a 69 vert it had a navy blue top and interior, and a 4 speed.. miss her mightily.
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM

Joe

I did the waving. He kept adding a dollar for each wave. I end up paying $9010 for the car. The car in PA. I live in CT next to Hartford. The car is truly solid. perfect Chrome all around. Everything in working order surface rust on the fender. Minimal work to get her ready for a paint job.

I need a hobby.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:21 AM

Congratulations! It looks like a nice solid car.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:34 AM

Perfect Chrome, Nice interior, and no rust ,adds up to money saved in the long haul. Congratulations on the purchase and best of luck on getting a nice paint job without costing you a second mortgage on your house. Larry