The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'69 350 exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM

'69 350 exhaust manifold

I bought a '69 with headers and want to go back to stock exhaust manifolds since I plan long trips and don't care as much about performance. I'm concerned about heat damage to the starter. It has Code 5 heads. What exhaust manifolds will fit the 350? Anyone had experience with Thornton Reproductions replacements? Thanks Terry
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM

Welcome to the site Terry! I don't think you'll have problems with stock manifolds overheating the starter, they don't heat it up anything like the headers do. I don't have experience with the Thorton repops but hopefully someone here does. Factory manifolds are pretty common so if you decide to go back to them post a parts wanted ad with your city/state or the nearest large city. That way you may be able to find a set close by and save on shipping costs. What you can do for dual exhaust is block off the crossover pipe between the two manifolds and run two pipes toward the back. That's a pretty common mod and if you use the search option on this site I believe you'll find some threads discussing that. From what I've read there never was a factory dual exhaust for the small block engines. Just ones that had the crossover blocked. John
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:44 PM

'69 exhaust manifolds

Originally Posted by terrysolds
I bought a '69 with headers and want to go back to stock exhaust manifolds since I plan long trips and don't care as much about performance. I'm concerned about heat damage to the starter. It has Code 5 heads. What exhaust manifolds will fit the 350? Anyone had experience with Thornton Reproductions replacements? Thanks Terry
Hi Terry, I have the manifolds you are seeking. The heat problems you are asking about should not exist with the stock manifolds. if you choose to run dual exhaust, you will need the block-off. There was not a different manifold used for dual exhaust---just the block-off. I am in Maryland.
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM

hey terry where do u live i would be intrested in your pair of used headers if u live close !!!
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM

or even trade for my orig good shape exhaust manifolds
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Past Administrator

Glad to have you here with us Terry.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm posting a parts wanted add to try to find a source near Dallas.