The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

67 olds data plate

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM

Wink 67 olds data plate

hi olds fans, just acquired my first olds, its a 67 cutlass convertible 3 sp manual with overdrive. I am trying to determine if it is a "turnpike cruiser" I have the data plate but I need to decode it. any info available?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:02 PM

The turnpike cruiser would have the 400 cubic inch motor. The regular Cutlass would have a 330 engine. Look between the water pump and the intake manifold. There will be a series of numbers with either a large single number or letter at the end. If its a letter E then you have a 400 engine. If its a number 3 then you have the 330 engine correct for 1967. The example below is a 455 with the large letter F.

I've seen the 3 speed with overdrive on Chevys but this is the first time I've heard of it on an Olds. That sounds like a cool setup! Which leads me to the first question I should have asked. Does it have a V8 or 6 cylinder engine? The overdrives I've seen were mounted to Chevy 250 inline 6 cylinders engines John

PA221837.jpg

PA221840.jpg
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:49 PM

Wink 67 olds data plate

thanks for that bit of info, the original engine (ugh) is gone. it has a 350 olds out of a 73. but it definitely has the overdrive, its really nice at 70 your only turning 2000 rpm. I was hoping the data plate might help. is there a site I can go to to decode it??
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:50 PM

oh the shifter is on the column not the floor if that helps
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by reghenderson
I was hoping the data plate might help. is there a site I can go to to decode it??
Post a clear photo of it here. A number of people on this site can decode it.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Also post some pictures of your car.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM

There was no overdrive trans in 67 for Olds. Does your shifter have slots for PRNDSL ? Also post your trim tag on firewall. You say its a standard trans? It would not be a Turnpike Cruiser with a manual trans.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; May 3rd, 2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM

for what its worth I got the data tag all figured out. but still wondering about the "three on a tree" and it most definitely has an over drive. I have only had the car for a few hours so I will do some more digging before I start asking stupid questions. I thought the data tag would tell me what drive train it was born with. but hey after 47 years anything could have been moderfryd.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:42 PM

How is the overdrive engaged? **** on the dash, or what? If it's a 3-spd MT with geared OD package tacked on, there must be some sort of mechanical engagement device.

Photos would be enjoyed by all.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

If it really does have an overdrive, it was not factory installed. The Turnpike Cruiser package did not use a manual three speed trans anyway.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Thumbs up 67 olds cutlass over-drive

there is a t-handle mounted under the dash and is marked o-drive. it is most definitely a 3 spd on the column. as for it being the turn pike cruiser, it is obviously not as it does not have an automatic trans. it is my understanding that this car was picked up at a salvage yard just 30 miles from where I live and went out of state for it's restoration. I will contact the fellow who did all the work to see how these things came to be. thanks to all for the valuable information shared. now, if any of you know where I can get a dash insert that would be awesome. it looks like someone tried to "brush paint" mine with the most awful green ever!!!
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:19 AM

still looking for a dash panel, just talked to "shawn" at quality parts he wants $825. and another place called twin cities quoted me $444. for a used one also. am I nuts or is that too much to spend????
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM

I think you mean the plastic dash assembly and not the dash pad? Dash pads are reproduced now in a few other colors besides black according to my latest OPG catalog. I would think a dash panel could be gotten for less than 200. They often turn up on ebay. They do get brittle and mounts tend to break but they can be restored.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Depends on what quality it is. If you want good info on the dash, pm rroth01 on this site. He lives for these dashes and restores them. He's a wealth of information.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:01 AM

yes, it is the plastic part of the dash I need not the pad I have that, I checked opg but they don't offer one for the 67, I emailed mr. roth he indicated that he had 4 to do but was thinking about retiring, too bad I've seen some of his work...awesome. and I still have yet to figure out how to get the old one out/off. lol

Last edited by reghenderson; May 6th, 2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: poor grammar
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM

and I still have yet to figure out how to get the old one out/off. lol
Its pretty easy, disconnect all plugs and connections from behind. Be careful with the center cluster multipin plug as sometimes the pins want to pull away from the circuit board. Then look for the studs that go thru metal dash and take off the nuts from behind and the dash will come free with the dash pad attached. This is the way I like to do it. If the car has AC you need to remove the ducts under the dash. You need to take off heater control cables and any vacuum lines. It helps if radio come off first too. The more you take out first gives you better access to nuts.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Methinks Mr. Roth should school an apprentice in the Ways of his Works.

I was wondering the other day if I give up the casting modification, where folks would get a '69 H/O intake 405233 with PCV boss?
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Indeed, I need to get a Murder City Special or two from him here in the next couple years.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I wouldn't write Ron off just yet. He was talking about retiring before. Same comments came up about schooling an apprentice. His work says it for him.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

hi olds fans, just acquired my first olds, its a 67 cutlass convertible 3 sp manual with overdrive. I am trying to determine if it is a "turnpike cruiser" I have the data plate but I need to decode it. any info available?
If you have the POP for the car, it will have the original engine/trans code. That will help you determine it's heritage.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Its gonna be bad if and when Ron retires. His work is supurb. I can tell you if your dash is good it can be stripped and restored. Its tedious work but i did my own and it came out ok i think. I did have to send it to be chromed which took about 2 months, then i painted it and assembled it. Your guages maybe good or need repair, if so Redline Gauge is who I have and would use. NOT THE ONE IN CA. I think Ron had someone do the gauges in the dashes he does so you get a beautiful completely restored dash. If they work good then you could just clean them up and hope for the best.
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I'm not retiring.I have 10 IPs on my Floor.I just want to make sure everyone is Happy .In the past 3 days have been getting Emails from folks in Norway, Germany ...Literally. .Not to mention a 38% Bump from my Plater.I have a hard time asking my Customers /Friends to absorb those costs..I want to assure the same Quality and Delivery to Everyone..And a Never ending Friendship..That is Paramount.Call me if you have any Questions.
Ron 586-556-1234

Last edited by rroth01; May 7th, 2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I have 2 Sons that will One Day take this over.I have more Money Invested in Failure than one could Imagine.Every Customer/Friend that I have Restored an IP for has a Nicer IP than me.Guaranteed.I work 60 hours a week,On my Regular Job. and this is Art.I have no problems with the Hobby.This Winter has taken its toll on me.I field 2 calls day on Restorations.And I enjoy the stories.I have Cores stacked up like Cord Wood.Clocks Speedo Heads Fuel gauges ,4 Speed Sentinels.3 Rally Packs.I have invested a lot of money.With NO REGRETS..Just getting Tired. I'm here for ya..Love to make your car whole.After all you have to look at he Instrument Panel.Your Friends have to look at the Paint and Wheels...Your Murder City Dash Man..586-556-1234