The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

67 442

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2011, 04:39 AM

67 442

If car sits more than a day it will not start.If I prime the carburator it will start right up.I've replaced the carb and still does the same thing.anybody got any ideas.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:05 AM
CQR

First off the fuel in the carb is probably evaporating. But the fuel pump should replenish quickly if it is operating correctly. Recommend a pressure and vacuum test on the fuel pump and inspect fuel hoses from tank to pump for any cracking that could cause it to pull air instead of fuel.
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM

67 442

If the car sits more than a day it will not start..I cranked the engine over, but no gas came out.If the carb.is primed first the car starts and runs great.I took the gas line off the carb.and ran into a jar, but no gas came out when I cranked the engine over.Is the fuel running back to the tank, or something else. thanks for any help.
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM
CQR

If you have a bad or wrong gas cap that is not venting you could be pulling a vacuum in the tank as the fuel and tank cool off. The 67 had a return from the fuel pump that will cause the fuel in the tank to heat up more than a non return system.

Try this:

Drive the car normally then when you park it. crack the fuel tank loose (just slightly) and let the car sit. If it starts, you may want to try a new gas cap.

Don't forget to tighten the cap before driving it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM

IIRC, the 67 uses a non vented cap and has a vent on the tank.

Also check the plugs at the bottom of the float bowl (remove the throttle body to see them) for leaking. Early Q jets are notorious for this.
Old June 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Seems to me that it might be a weak fuel pump!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Past Administrator

Second vote for the pump, they aren't much and easy to r/r. Welcome to CO.