The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

63 F-85 parts

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 10:23 PM

63 F-85 parts

Have a 63 cutlas F-85 and I am on the fence on this one. I hear parts are hard to find.
I may rebuild it and may part it out. Anyone know about these cars?
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by nickutlas
Have a 63 cutlas F-85 and I am on the fence on this one. I hear parts are hard to find.
I may rebuild it and may part it out. Anyone know about these cars?
What do you want to know? They don't repro anything for them, you have to look for everything (ex. junkyards, swap meets, etc.)

How much does it need and how far do you want to go with it??
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Parts are nearly non-existent for the 1961-63 cars, and the 63s have a lot of one-year-only parts (like the steering linkage).

Engine parts are easy, as the aluminum 215 was sold to Rover and versions were built well into the last decade.

The Rotohydramatic 5 automatic is unique to the Olds versions. Buicks used a completely different Dynaflow. Fatsco sells parts.

Brake, suspension, and steering parts are available from Kanter. Some of the parts are available from NAPA (I got a master cylinder rebuild kit there).

The rear axle is unique to the 1961-63 F-85 and Skylark. NOTHING interchanges.

The 4 x 4.5" wheel lug bolt pattern makes it difficult to get wheels larger than the stock 13". There are lots of aftermarket wheels with that bolt pattern, but they are predominantly for FWD cars with waaay too much positive offset.

Steele Rubber actually has all the weatherstripping for these cars.

Any other body and trim parts are good used only, nothing is available repro.
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

First off welcome to the site!! Either way you decide to go with your car we do like pics...
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:20 PM

Excellent information, Joe! Thank you for your assistance. I also have a 63 Cutlass and fortunately it is almost complete. I need a few things but I wouldn't have considered buying it if it hadn't been nearly complete (I live overseas and that makes it pretty much imperative for me to not have to be looking for parts for a car that is nearly impossible to find parts for even in the US!). I will need a complete set of rubber seals and gaskets for my car; it's good to know that these parts are available.

Welcome, Nick!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Parts are nearly non-existent for the 1961-63 cars, and the 63s have a lot of one-year-only parts (like the steering linkage).

Engine parts are easy, as the aluminum 215 was sold to Rover and versions were built well into the last decade.

The Rotohydramatic 5 automatic is unique to the Olds versions. Buicks used a completely different Dynaflow. Fatsco sells parts.

Brake, suspension, and steering parts are available from Kanter. Some of the parts are available from NAPA (I got a master cylinder rebuild kit there).

The rear axle is unique to the 1961-63 F-85 and Skylark. NOTHING interchanges.

The 4 x 4.5" wheel lug bolt pattern makes it difficult to get wheels larger than the stock 13". There are lots of aftermarket wheels with that bolt pattern, but they are predominantly for FWD cars with waaay too much positive offset.

Steele Rubber actually has all the weatherstripping for these cars.

Any other body and trim parts are good used only, nothing is available repro.