The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'57 Fuel tank straps

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM

'57 Fuel tank straps

Hello all,

I am new to this and have not found an answer in previous forums - sorry if I missed it.

I have a '57 super 88 holiday and just dropped the fuel tank to retore it. It seems the strap bolts broke in the frame and I need to replace them. Since I do not know what the bolt was supposed to look like, I'm having trouble finding the strap bolts. I think they are just "J" bolts, but I'm not sure since I can't get the other part out of the frame.

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to keep the paint from burning off the center part of the head and intake on these 371s. I used Hirsch paints, but it still burns and peels.

Thanks for any assistance.

Seamus
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM

Greetings: I used long cad plated carrage bolts.. do not forget to use fiber cloth on TOP of tank where it meets the frame ,I used exhaust wrap for that purpose.
Paint will burn in the heat riser section.. no suggestions other that caping off, then no auto choke..
Regards,
Fletch
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM

for the J bolts on my '56, I bought 2 eye bolts and cut them with a cut off wheel to make J bolts. They work great and are easy to find.
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

X3 on standard J bolts, obtainable from many sources. Unless you are wanting OEM for a concours restoration. Then you might check Fusick on the internet, they may have them.

As far as the paint burning off goes, it is difficult to find heat resistant paint that will not discolor, even if it is advertised for use on exhaust systems.
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM

J-bolts.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I appreciate the accurate quick responses.

I will love being a part of this website.

Seamus