The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

51 olds 98

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2020, 06:34 PM

51 olds 98

I just purchased a 1951 olds 98. Was a barn find of 32 years. My question is will suspension and brake parts fit from a chevy of similar years. Looking for power disk conversion and shocks

Thanks

Last edited by David7w5; October 11th, 2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old October 11th, 2020, 07:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Wow, that car looks good to have been in a barn for 32 years. I doubt the Chevy parts are the same. I don't believe power brakes were an option in 51. To do a power brake conversion you would need to go to a swinging pedal and mount the master cylinder on the firewall. The shocks are knee action. I don't know of any conversion kits for conversion to airplane type shocks. You can have your current shocks rebuilt but they are still knee action shocks.
Old October 11th, 2020, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Congrats and welcome to the site.
Old October 11th, 2020, 08:07 PM
Phantom Phixer

Chevy items will not fit , not even close .
This is a two ton car , and no matter what you do to it , it will still handle like a Greyhound bus .
Enjoy it for what it is , a cruiser .
Don't waste your money trying to make it a sports car .
Old October 12th, 2020, 02:36 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Welcome! Beautiful car!!! As Charlie said ^^^^^^ Enjoy it for what it is.
Old October 12th, 2020, 06:06 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You actually lean to drive one of these old cars even if it did have power brakes. Distance is a key word when it comes to the brakes. You allow distance with the car in front of you since it is going to take more distance to stop the car. You will also realize why these old car have big steering wheels. You need them for the leverage. When you go from the typical vehicle with 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes to the Olds it is a big change. My suggestion would be to inspect the brakes and make sure they are in good condition and adjusted properly. Then just drive the car around a little big on some less busy streets or roads and get a feel for it. Some of these cars are not particularly fun to drive but they are fun to own. Looks like you have a nice one. Enjoy it.