The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

455 olds sitting

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
jfb

455 olds sitting

hey guys do to a medical issue my fresh 455 olds with 45 minutes run time has sat not turned over since last october cam broke in oil changed. i also have a aluminum radiator kept up also with water wetter with experience do you see engine problems and how long due aluminum radiators last really. i have had this 71 sx for 24 years always driven except winter or close to it i have 0 experience with sitting cars.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Is the car sitting outside? Where are you located? Did any water get into the cylinders? Does it turn over? 11 months is nothing for an engine to sit. It really depends where its been sitting.
If you want to be really safe: Take out the plugs and put a little squirt of 10w30 or spray some oil in the cylinders and put plugs back in. Try turning it over by hand with a breaker bar on the crank. Maybe prime the carb. Check fluids, belts and battery. You may want to add some fresh fuel if there ist much in the tank or drain the old stuff and replace with new.Get some starting fluid and and fire it up. I wouldn't rev it for a while, just get it running and idling for a while and then change oil and filter and check all other fluids again and maybe change as well.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:16 PM
jfb

the car is inside a vinyl military garage with no water but moisture in the air i am in chicago il light winter last year also.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM
72 Olds CS

do your car a favor and put down some type of moisture barrier (heavy plastic) under the car.

dont use something that water can penetrate like a blue tarp

I kno from experience the portable garage is good but you need something under he car too assumig a dirt or gravel floor if its asphalt your likely OK
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
jfb

the floor is asphalt with a thick grey tarpe over it believe me after rebuilding this car completely and racing it means more to me then the ex-bitch wife that i left behind and kept my sx instead by the way can you safely run a car on jack stands also properly spaced of course and secured.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:52 PM
jfb

by the way i will be running at byron 66 and 41 next year i am going to keep this car trans etc loose as possible fall 2012 thru 2013 spring on jack stands running the car is black and silver w-30 hood rear wing olds rear wing i mean and lightened this mondello 455 built by joe before he died has about 11.5 to 1 compression and only god knows what she can do on the bottle plus me. like i said i have never let my car sit purposely always driven and fully rebuilt a to z and upgraded all over for performance.
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:02 PM
72 Olds CS

sounds pretty sweet any pics ??

Originally Posted by jfb
... the ex-bitch wife that i left behind and .....

so wait shes not a bitch anymore ? LOL J/K I know she is LOL J/K
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM

What neighborhood??
Grew up in Park Ridge. [borders Chic. for 3 miles]
Ex Nicky partsman, too!
Old September 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
jfb

thanks for the advice guys we all should in 2013 go racing if that is your thing i like shows and cruising also the car is beautiful and the engine plus everything is very well detailed i do cars for a living mechanical body paint etc restorations etc this sitting thing is not me,that is the reason for anyones advice. by the way anyone know how long aluminum radiators last oem radiators seem forever but be cool or other aftermarkets need a update on longevity time frames see upper posts also.
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
jfb

Exclamation oem parts for older cars etc.

hey guys seriously have you noticed that almost all parts for your olds are made in another country and fit or finish usually is a pain due to tolerances being off? I would love to hear from someone with experience seriously that knows of the best parts always within tolerances to fit and the name of that company. we have all been there and we usaully blame ourselves for the hassles but we are not to blame. jfb
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
jfb

Smile back at you.

Originally Posted by Rickman48
What neighborhood??
Grew up in Park Ridge. [borders Chic. for 3 miles]
Ex Nicky partsman, too!
hey rick i love the area down there i used to deliver ice cream in your area a few years back by the way is 66 still a pain to get into for running or did there policys change. jfb.