The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

425 with a 4 speed in a '72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM

425 with a 4 speed in a '72 cutlass

I am working on a '72 cutlass that has a 350 combo in it now. But I want to install a 425 and a 4 speed, Here is my Question,
1. IS it true that all I need to do to install a 4 speed to my 425 (out of a '67 starfire) in to my cutlass is to get a bellhouse, I already have an dual pattern Bellhousing (chevy and BOP). WIll this bellhousing work. I will need to get the crank drilled for the bearing?
2. What about a flywheel, Is there a certain one I need.
3. What about the master and slave cylinder?
4.Has anyone out there ever done this combo before?
5. Are there any thing I missed?
Any help will be apprecatied

Thanks
Bobby
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bobhadd71
1. IS it true that all I need to do to install a 4 speed to my 425 (out of a '67 starfire) in to my cutlass is to get a bellhouse, I already have an dual pattern Bellhousing (chevy and BOP). WIll this bellhousing work.
Dual pattern manual trans bellhousings are somewhat rare. Be sure it has the notch for the starter on the driver's side. If it's a Chevy/Pontiac bellhousing it may only have the notch on the passenger side.

I will need to get the crank drilled for the bearing?
Yes.

2. What about a flywheel, Is there a certain one I need.
You need a 64-67 manual trans flywheel. The crank flange bolt pattern is different on the 68-90 motors.

3. What about the master and slave cylinder?
That's if you want a hydraulic clutch. The stock setup was a mechanical clutch with a bracket that bolts to the frame (they are available repro) to support the outboard end of the Z-bar. Of course you will need the pedals. If you want a hydraulic clutch, consider a hydraulic throwout bearing instead.

4.Has anyone out there ever done this combo before?
The 425 is no different than any other BBO in this respect.

5. Are there any thing I missed?
What trans are you using? If it is a different length from the one you have now, the crossmember will move, which changes the required length of the front and intermediate e-brake cables (since they hang off the crossmember). Of course there are lots of little details like speedo cable, shifter, backdrive linkage (if you want the backup light switch to work), clutch safety switch, and driveshaft (if the trans lenght is different).
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Bellhousing

The bellhousing does have the humps on each side.