The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

393tony

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM

393tony

Hello from hegins pa. I love this site and have been reading posts for awhile now. Now I have to ask a question and post myself. Hope some one can help. I'm changing the weather strip on my 1968 442 convertable and would like to know how do I remove the vent window to do this. Thanks if anyone takes the time to help me. TONY
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Vent window

I want to replace the weather strip around my vent windows on my 1968 442 cutlass CONVERTABLE. I know the post cars are differant than hardtops and convertables and was wondering if any one knows how do I take the vent window out of my convertable? Is it a hard project? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:22 AM

Welcome, I've never changed the weather strip on a door but I have had the vent windows out of my 70 Vista which I assume are similar to your 68. You have to take off the door panel and then you can see how they come out. I can't remember if you have to take the window out to get the vent out or vise versa. You'll see after you get the panel off-It also seems like there were a few Phillips screws and a lot of 7/16 headed bolts.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Welcome, I've never changed the weather strip on a door but I have had the vent windows out of my 70 Vista which I assume are similar to your 68.
Yes and no. The VC door has a frame around the window (like a "post" car), the convertible does not. On the convertible you may be able to remove the vent window without first removing the main window, but it will be a lot easier if you remove the main window first. The vent window assembly incorporates the forward track for the main window, so getting that window out of the way gives you a lot more room to maneuver.

The removal process is covered in the Fisher Body Manual. I suggest you get your hands on that to see where all the fasteners are located and also how to properly adjust the vent window frame after installation.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've merged you two identical threads - you're more likely to get consistent, helpful info in a single thread. Note that convertible doors (and vent windows) are identical to those on the same year hardtop. The only difference is that convertible doors have the screwed-on wedge plates on the upper rear edge of the inner door.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've merged you two identical threads - you're more likely to get consistent, helpful info in a single thread. Note that convertible doors (and vent windows) are identical to those on the same year hardtop. The only difference is that convertible doors have the screwed-on wedge plates on the upper rear edge of the inner door.
Joe

The vent window for 68 for is slighty different between hardtop and vert and it's a different part number. The weatherstripping channel is different

And I can't imagine getting the vent window out without the window out but I've never tried.

Last edited by allyolds68; April 16th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Joe

The vent window for 68 for is slighty different between hardtop and vert and it's a different part number. The weatherstripping channel is different.
Yup. Mainly due to the different windshield height and angle as compared to the hardtop, I suspect. What I should have said was that the method of removal and adjustment is the same, however.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:04 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Tony!